Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Future Shop

Futureshop: Asus Vivo Tab RT $399 + Free Dock !!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2013 11:56 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
1037 posts
66 upvotes

[Future Shop] Futureshop: Asus Vivo Tab RT $399 + Free Dock !!

Noticed FS has the Asus Windows Rt tab $200 off.. Sale price $399
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 3e862den02

Looks like free dock from Asus too!
http://event.asus.com/Vivotab/Mobile_Dock/

Try a PM at Memory Express for $361 , not bad for the tablet and dock?
129 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
2761 posts
882 upvotes
Pretty good deal - I really liked the UI and build of this when I was testing it at FS. There was a huge thread when this was $399 at the Microsoft store (some liked it, others didn't): microsoft-store-asus-vivotab-rt-399-a-1268696/

Also, Windows RT was recently hacked to run desktop programs.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
1037 posts
66 upvotes
klover wrote:
Also, Windows RT was recently hacked to run desktop programs.
Of course if one just gets the Acer Atom Win 8 tablet no hacking required
and it will run all x86 desktop programs not limited to just a few recompiled ARM versions.

That's my issue with RT, it just seems a hard sell when the Atom Win 8 tablets last as long and run more software?

Still I don't think you can find a Atom based tablet and battery/dock for $360 so its a decent price if you dont care about desktop programs.

The Acer Atom tablet / kb is $749 , Asus RT / kb is $360 . Less than half price.
Feb 6, 2008
186 posts
20 upvotes
North York
klover wrote: Also, Windows RT was recently hacked to run desktop programs.
Source? RT and x86 are not even binary compatible, so this sounds impossible to me
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1651 posts
406 upvotes
Toronto
Newbee question ..
Is Window RT = Window 8 RT ?
thanks..
Sound good deal if pm success..
Did anyone have any luck pm?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
1037 posts
66 upvotes
antaholics wrote: Source? RT and x86 are not even binary compatible, so this sounds impossible to me
Its hacked to run ARM compiled programs in desktop mode, not x86 ones.

Which means the hack offers basically nothing...

If you want to run all windows programs get a Atom or i5 based tablet like the Acer w510, w700, etc.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
1037 posts
66 upvotes
jurassic98 wrote: Newbee question ..
thanks..
Windows RT is often called Windows 8 RT , same thing. Both do NOT run normal windows desktop programs.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7664 posts
10948 upvotes
Scarbs
I tried it in store a while back, and it just wasn't my cup of tea. Thanks nonetheless OP! Im sure many people would appreciate this deal!
Dec 10, 2008
895 posts
130 upvotes
jurassic98 wrote: Newbee question ..
thanks..
I have initiated the pm process with memory express. now waiting for the approval. not sure how long it will take
Aug 21, 2011
854 posts
232 upvotes
Don't expect to be able to run just any desktop software, as mentioned, it's only arm compiled desktop apps for now, and if you perform the hack. Perhaps the process will be improved upon and more programs compiled for arm. For now I'd say, if you will need to run desktop software, it's best to assume that you won't be able to run it.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
1037 posts
66 upvotes
Guess the iPad 3 for $329 at Futureshop is a better tablet and price ... ?
Dec 3, 2009
495 posts
129 upvotes
Etobicoke
DoneDeal wrote: Guess the iPad 3 for $329 at Futureshop is a better tablet and price ... ?
Depends what you are in to and what you need. If you want an option to have a close to a full desktop experience with flash, office, printer support, mouse/keyboard support...as well as an option to go tablet or full laptop with the free dock, and have battery life of up to 16 hours with dock... Asus Vivo RT beats the iPad.

If you want an entertainment tablet, with much more apps and like playing in the Apple ecosystem (Airplay, Apple TV, iTunes)...iPad wins.

Also, full USB, SD card, and HDMI out built in to the tablet is something iPad doesn't have but Asus does. I'd take the Asus myself but then again, at any price I'd take the Galaxy Nexus 10 or Surface Pro over either lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3438 posts
744 upvotes
Winnipeg
Just got approved PM with ME for local pickup... got it for $362.49 + tax.. (around $400 after taxes).. thanks OP
Feb 9, 2008
712 posts
80 upvotes
Very good deal, very tempted, but I can't imagine this providing any advantages over a Android tablet or full on x86 Windows 7/8 machine besides battery life.
I still use Winamp to play downloaded mp3 files
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
3651 posts
133 upvotes
khulit wrote: Just got approved PM with ME for local pickup... got it for $362.49 + tax.. (around $400 after taxes).. thanks OP
Wow, with the PM, gets even hotter. Might pick one up to try out.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3438 posts
744 upvotes
Winnipeg
meanstreetjd wrote: Very good deal, very tempted, but I can't imagine this providing any advantages over a Android tablet or full on x86 Windows 7/8 machine besides battery life.
Wifey has been bugging me to get another iPad since our kids have been fighting over our one and only iPad, thought this would be a better option than buying a $500 iPad...