Expired Hot Deals

[Future Shop] Futureshop: Asus Vivo Tab RT $399 + Free Dock !!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2013 11:56 pm
Tags:
None
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9446 posts
883 upvotes
The more i think about windows rt, then more I think it make sense

RT obviously is MS's attempt to combat against android and ios. With that in mind and with dev's ease of porting i386 apps onto RT, the RT ecosystem already got something both android and ios don't have at the moment.

There's no doubt apple will merge ios and osx into one and google's hope of bringing chromeOS into the mainstream. With RT MS is definitely ahead of its main competition and keep itself competitive.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9417 posts
1023 upvotes
Ottawa
sexyj wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 4:21 pm
sure, but it doesn't dock/close/fold it properly
Why does it have to? When I use desktop apps, I'm not using the touch interface so I don't care if the keyboard is an integral part of the device.

The point is: you can buy any number of different BT keyboards/mice ranging from $20 and up. They range from little micro keyboard to full sized 104key jobs. If you need something portable and self contained, you can pay for one of those high priced keyboard covers. You can choose the one that fits your needs and budget.

it's all about having the choice of running desktop apps....for most people this makes it a dual purpose device which is a big plus
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9446 posts
883 upvotes
if it works for you then is fine

for "most people" a tablet is for watching netflix, going on youtube and facebook, dual purpose is hardly a purchasing decision
warpdrive wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 5:06 pm
Why does it have to? When I use a desktop apps, I'm not using the touch interface so I don't care if the keyboard is an integral part of the device.

The point is: you can buy any number of different BT keyboards/mice ranging from $20 and up. If you need something portable and self contained, you can pay for one of those high priced keyboard covers. You can choose the one that fits your needs and budget.

it's all about having the choice of running desktop apps....for most people this makes it a dual purpose device which is a big plus
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Oct 31, 2006
399 posts
67 upvotes
Love this tablet. Has worked like a laptop for me. Essential in class, I can video record my profs while taking notes on OneNote/Word or use PDFs. App market is increasing but I feel you are constrained more to the internet explorer which is very smooth. Depends on what you want it for.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9417 posts
1023 upvotes
Ottawa
sexyj wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 5:09 pm
if it works for you then is fine

for "most people" a tablet is for watching netflix, going on youtube and facebook
Then why not just buy one of the many other tablets on the market? I have an iPad and it's already completely fine for email, web and facebook.

The way I see it, A tablet that is able to run full win8 and legacy apps gives it a big edge over the regular tablet competition.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
2430 posts
462 upvotes
If you're debating the Vivo RT vs. Full Win 8 models, it certainly comes down to the kind of desktop programs you need to run.

The Atom-based tablets aren't pushing heavy programs or pixels around and I hear too many people talking about Pro tablets like they're going to be playing Civ V and photoshopping from the couch. If you have some low-level desktops apps you can't live without and they a) run great on 2-year old budget chip hardware and b) are actually usable with a touch interface, the Atom line should be fine. Anything else and you should just buy a ultralight.

I'm testing the Vivo RT and it most certainly has shortcomings in the app selection but for $370 with dock, this is an excellent mobile Office tablet with what I would have to say is perhaps one of the best mobile browsing apps (IE 10). For me, it is the first time I do not feel I have compromised on internet rendering, speed, compatiblity, etc. by using a tablet (vs. Safari, BB browser, AOSP, Chrome, etc.).

Good build, excellent quality display (black levels, color gamut, etc.) with an average resolution and it is noticeably lighter and thinner than most tablets.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9417 posts
1023 upvotes
Ottawa
+1 klover, no argument there. I think ability to run some desktop apps is a bonus, and well worth the increment cost for me (and I presume a few other people as well at least). I think Win8 tablets will likely even push these RT tablets prices down further which may make sense to buy for the casual user.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9446 posts
883 upvotes
Yes, I could've just bought a asus transformer or a ipad with a kb case if I just wanted something for media consumption.

However, I see a bigger potential in the RT ecosystem than the current ios/android offerings. Both ios or android are really just for fun at the end of the day, the multitasking suck on both system.

With RT, I can multitask like I could on a laptop without sacrificing battery life.
warpdrive wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 5:13 pm
Then why not just buy one of the many other tablets on the market? I have an iPad and it's already completely fine for email, web and facebook.

The way I see it, A tablet that is able to run full win8 and legacy apps gives it a big edge over the regular tablet competition.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
2430 posts
462 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 5:21 pm
+1 klover, no argument there. I think ability to run some desktop apps is a bonus, and well worth the increment cost for me (and I presume a few other people as well at least). I think Win8 tablets will likely even push these RT tablets prices down further which may make sense to buy for the casual user.
Yes, I would agree that the RT line is primarily aimed at the casual user (email, browsing, streaming radio, etc.) who also requires/desires a more robust Office suite.

For me, this will be a dedicated writing machine that is portable, has an IPS display, long battery life, and is much cheaper than buying an ultralight.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9417 posts
1023 upvotes
Ottawa
sexyj wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 5:25 pm
Yes, I could've just bought a asus transformer or a ipad with a kb case if I just wanted something for media consumption.

However, I see a bigger potential in the RT ecosystem than the current ios/android offerings. Both ios or android are really just for fun at the end of the day, the multitasking suck on both system.

With RT, I can multitask like I could on a laptop without sacrificing battery life.
if it works for you and satisfies your need...then that's great. I was tempted myself because I think the deal is good, but in the end, I think I will pass for all the reasons I stated....the Win8 tablets will add a whole new dimension for me on how I use it...I already own too many dedicated devices and this can actually help me reduce the need for dedicate phone/tablet/ultralight/desktop devices

My main machinea are two full sized Windows desktopa and the best integration with that is another full Win8 device :)
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9446 posts
883 upvotes
wow, this is hotter
Aug 1, 2012
552 posts
46 upvotes
Mississauga
Is it possible to get it PMed somewhere at the BB price of $299.. Wishful thinking??
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6986 posts
654 upvotes
sexyj wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 4:40 pm
There's no doubt apple will merge ios and osx into one and google's hope of bringing chromeOS into the mainstream. With RT MS is definitely ahead of its main competition and keep itself competitive.
Microsoft is WAY WAY WAY ahead.
Jan 10, 2007
334 posts
152 upvotes
adiprince1 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 7:05 pm
hey guys i pm"ed at bestbuy earlier and i just check their website the tab is selling for $299.95. currently its out of stock but i got the price adjustment. so i got it for $299.95 :)
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/asu ... 5bccbden02
Many thanks to adiprince1 - it never hurts to go back and recheck a deal thread.

I purchased a mint open box VIVO on friday for $340 and had the price adjusted to $240 today - Thank again OP ! (and thank you BB sales associate)
× < >