Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Bell

Futureshop - Bell Samsung GIO Prepaid Smartphone - $ 79.99 until Sept 15, 2011

Mar 10, 2005
25 posts
44 upvotes
lewinsky wrote: How do I insert the SIM card into my computer? Do you mean SD card?

You are right, my mistake -- i meant SD card, NOT sim card! Its corrected above.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4238 posts
694 upvotes
Quebec
pinkpt wrote: You are right, my mistake -- i meant SD card, NOT sim card! Its corrected above.

Your guide is really clear and complete. I will use it tomorrow to unlock my phone !

Thanks !
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
7441 posts
4191 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Since my wife got the Gio I'm tempted to get one and switch from my iphone 3gs. I don't know why but I like the android OS way better than apple OS.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
nounou23 wrote: Since my wife got the Gio I'm tempted to get one and switch from my iphone 3gs. I don't know why but I like the android OS way better than apple OS.

Over the air app updates make all the difference. Supposedly iOS5 is getting this but really, it's long overdue.

Having to plug the phone into the PC and launch iTunes to update apps just sucks.
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10594 posts
4839 upvotes
Burnaby
Kurtz7834 wrote: Over the air app updates make all the difference. Supposedly iOS5 is getting this but really, it's long overdue.

Having to plug the phone into the PC and launch iTunes to update apps just sucks.

You mean to update the OS?

I've never updated apps using iTunes on my computer, pretty sure I just download updated versions from the App Store directly on my old iPhone 2G. Never even had apps synced to the PC - the only thing I used iTunes for was to upload music
Feb 6, 2006
558 posts
36 upvotes
pinkpt wrote: You are right, my mistake -- i meant SD card, NOT sim card! Its corrected above.

So far the BEST how-to on this phone, though I haven't tried yet but looks clear step-by-step.
Thanks for sharing your time.
Feb 6, 2006
558 posts
36 upvotes
YES! CONFIRMED to be safe and good pinkpt's instructions.

Thanks again! Took me about 20 mins to unlock not including the downloading parts, as I double/triple checked everything I did.

Btw, the update of SDK took so long that I cancelled it and just proceeded to the the unlock and it worked.
This is after I re-started the SDK Manager.

It's a Speakout phone now with data.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9101 posts
4567 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
jon-calgary wrote: YES! CONFIRMED to be safe and good pinkpt's instructions.

Thanks again! Took me about 20 mins to unlock not including the downloading parts, as I double/triple checked everything I did.

Btw, the update of SDK took so long that I cancelled it and just proceeded to the the unlock and it worked.

For unlocking the only package you need in the SDK manager is Platform Tools for the adb tool. But the SDK manager is so poorly designed it's a hassle to uncheck everything.

Also you'll need the Samsung Kies for the USB drivers.
Mar 10, 2005
25 posts
44 upvotes
ToniCipriani wrote: For unlocking the only package you need in the SDK manager is Platform Tools for the adb tool. But the SDK manager is so poorly designed it's a hassle to uncheck everything.

Also you'll need the Samsung Kies for the USB drivers.
Yes, this is true -- you only need Platform Tools (the rest of the stuff takes way to long to download!) I updated the post with a screenshot showing what you need from the Android SDK.

Thanks for the clarifications about the Samsung Kies...I wasn't sure if you needed this. When I unlocked my phone, I didn't install it. I just connected my phone to the computer via a USB cable, and then Windows installed a bunch of drivers (5-6 drivers). After Windows installed the drivers, I was able to connect to my phone via. I updated the post though to mention this in case other people have problems.

jon-calgary wrote: YES! CONFIRMED to be safe and good pinkpt's instructions.

This is fantastic, I'm really happy it worked!
Jul 14, 2007
495 posts
534 upvotes
These are great instructions, but does anyone know if this will permanently unlock the device? Some of the other methods are only temporary.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2011
1070 posts
164 upvotes
pinkpt wrote: This is the method I used to unlock my phone. The process was a bit confusing for me because I am new to rooting and Android, so I thought I would put together this step-by-step guide in case anyone else also needs help with the process.
----- snip ------
i think your method will also work pretty nicely with root + terminal emulator + hex editor :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6691 posts
899 upvotes
Murica
illbashu wrote: DONT USE THAT METHOD! IT HAS A HIGH RISK OF BRICKING YOUR PHONE! :!: /caps

no such thing as permanently bricking phone.
It's just a PITA to get back running that's all.

my method worked just fine.
if there's a better way then people should follow that route.
My dad's phone works just fine.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1182 posts
62 upvotes
maniacshopper wrote: no such thing as permanently bricking phone.
It's just a PITA to get back running that's all.

My phone has also been rooted, without using terminal emulator, just copying that file to the SD card. However, from browsing threads on other forums, there did not seem to be a way for some people to get out of the "infinite loop" or to fix a null IMEI. They may have ended up returning it back to the store... I think we should avoid stating that this is a risk-free procedure.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7408 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
Pinkpt, thanks so much for the tutorial on how to unlock! I just unlocked mine using my windows XP SP3 netbook... My problem was when a certain file claimed it could not be found in the directory, blah blah blah..

How stupid did I feel to realize that the command you said to run with the "cat /dev/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img" command, and I thought that it was bm15, not bml5. LOL!!

My Android file (adb.exe) was located under C:/Program Files/Android/android-sdk/platform-tools, different from Pinkpt's location, as he stated it might be.

When windows is installing the drivers for the Gio, like pinkpt says, let it run it's full course - that means saying yes to letting windows find everything, all the drivers, there are several, and they will pop up - don't close out thinking you installed it, make sure they all install.

I did have to install the Java SE Developer Kit to get it all to work properly. That was one of the first steps, for the Android SDK program install - but the program let me know I needed the Java SE developer kit, it wouldn't let me go further until I installed it.

I installed the windows 86 version, of the Java SE Developer kit since I know I don't have 64 bit, and it seemed to be fine - not sure if that was o.k. for the Java SE Developer kit or not, but it was my only other option besides 64 bit.

Thanks so much, it was so much fun to see the code, and get it to work on the first try. Very detailed instructions, thanks for your help!

I am going to go click the thank you button now on your tutorial post! :)

Stupid question: So now I can disable 'unknown' from superuser, right? Also: This phone is now a rooted phone, correct?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2784 posts
993 upvotes
Winnipeg
Is this sold out everywhere in Ontario? It isn't available in Manitoba as far as I can tell because we don't have Bell.

Would it be difficult to try and get someone to buy this for me and mail it to me?
Mar 21, 2011
788 posts
303 upvotes
Delta
jory29 wrote: Pinkpt, thanks so much for the tutorial on how to unlock! I just unlocked mine using my windows XP SP3 netbook... My problem was when a certain file claimed it could not be found in the directory, blah blah blah..

How stupid did I feel to realize that the command you said to run with the "cat /dev/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img" command, and I thought that it was bm15, not bml5. LOL!!

My Android file (adb.exe) was located under C:/Program Files/Android/android-sdk/platform-tools, different from Pinkpt's location, as he stated it might be.

When windows is installing the drivers for the Gio, like pinkpt says, let it run it's full course - that means saying yes to letting windows find everything, all the drivers, there are several, and they will pop up - don't close out thinking you installed it, make sure they all install.

I did have to install the Java SE Developer Kit to get it all to work properly. That was one of the first steps, for the Android SDK program install - but the program let me know I needed the Java SE developer kit, it wouldn't let me go further until I installed it.

I installed the windows 86 version, of the Java SE Developer kit since I know I don't have 64 bit, and it seemed to be fine - not sure if that was o.k. for the Java SE Developer kit or not, but it was my only other option besides 64 bit.

Thanks so much, it was so much fun to see the code, and get it to work on the first try. Very detailed instructions, thanks for your help!

I am going to go click the thank you button now on your tutorial post! :)

Stupid question: So now I can disable 'unknown' from superuser, right? Also: This phone is now a rooted phone, correct?

Yes, if you have Superuser installed that means you have rooted your phone and you can disable or forget 'unknown' if you like.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7408 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
lypang wrote: Yes, if you have Superuser installed that means you have rooted your phone and you can disable or forget 'unknown' if you like.
Thanks, Lypang, for your help. :) I guess this means I can run Titanium back up now with a rooted phone.
Nov 21, 2006
742 posts
632 upvotes
Pinkpt explained it PERFECT
I just rooted and unlocked mine in 10 min.
BIG Thank you !