Futureshop Cell Phone warranty policy

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2012 4:35 pm
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
932 posts
18 upvotes

Futureshop Cell Phone warranty policy

Hey guys I just want a bit of advice. I recently upgraded to the Iphone 3GS at futureshop and was talked into a 10 dollar a month 2 year warranty on the phone that covers everything except like physical and water damage.

At first I thought it was the same plan my buddy got as he told me about how he returned his iphone for another to then resell it and then use that cash to upgrade to the iphone 3gs without extending his contract. But that was just the apple warranty covered through rogers thats automatically there for a year and free!

I hear rogers just gives you a refurb and you have to wait while futureshop gives you a brand new one without question. As well, one of the main benefits i heard about was that you can replace your phone at any time within 2 years just once for any reason. And they match the value. So theoretically, after a year, a new iphone may come out and i could simply trade my 3gs for the new one as it would probably be that time be 699/799 then.

So i'm just wondering if you guys have this policy and liked it or have used the rogers policy and think its sufficient. 10 bucks a month adds up...but the benefit of a possible new iphone next year without questions and contract extention could be useful. Let me know!
15 replies
Mar 3, 2008
604 posts
261 upvotes
I don't personally have an Iphone, but I recently bought a Blackberry Flip from FutureShop and they offered me the same warranty. I chose to skip it just because an extra $10 a month seems like a lot. I realize that if something happens to the phone, then you would get a replacement for it...but if its something that you can get fixed for like $30 the one time, then it seems like a waste to get the warranty. If it covered water and physical damage, then I would get it. But since it only covers phone issues, then it shouldn't be that much to fix it anyway.

Warranties are a weird issue for me. Car warranties are a must and so are laptops. But those are things that you are probably going to have for a while. Phones are something people probably change an average of 1-2 years. I don't know many people who keep their phones for much longer than that. I know that I don't.
If the $10 a month isn't going to hurt you, then go for it. But if you find yourself questioning it a whole lot, then it probably isn't worth it.
Think much, speak little, write less.
May 26, 2006
197 posts
14 upvotes
a couple of my friends have the PEP
well heres a story that just happend yesterday, he had a curve 8900, he wanted the bold, this was like 6 months into the plan, so all he did was take it to the store, said it was broken (cell signal keeps geting dropped eventhough it wasnt) payed the extra 50$ to upgrade to the bold and this was a brand new in box phone not a refurb etc

kinda worth it if your like me and always want the latest phone (me being blackberrys to be exact)
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
932 posts
18 upvotes
true. But they told me I was only allowed one "battery" change with the iphone. Hopefully I can just get it replaced with other excuses and not use up my battery excuse
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1277 posts
38 upvotes
Langley
I would read the contract that you signed for the warranty. You were told a lot of things that are not actually covered.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
932 posts
18 upvotes
Yea I hate how there warranties are so sketchy like that. I'm just going to go to the exact same sales rep that told me all this as I know him and get on his ass if he tries to screw me
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
ahbitheman wrote:
Jul 20th, 2009 12:49 pm
Yea I hate how there warranties are so sketchy like that. I'm just going to go to the exact same sales rep that told me all this as I know him and get on his ass if he tries to screw me
So, I take you will be okay with company getting on your ass if they find out your phone didn't really have a problem, and you wanted to scam them? =)
Sep 15, 2008
212 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
BestbuyMobile actually has the same warranty plan and I spoke to the manager who personally told me that the $5/mth (for a regular phone) or the $10/mth extra for a smartphone type (Iphone, Blackberry etc) means that after the 30 days of having the phone, you could easily come back and tell them something is wrong with the phone (most of which they can't verify anyway) and you could switch the phone - or even switch service providers! (this came direct from the mouth of the BBM manager). That's all, not sure about how the contracts come into play when switching though.
2010 Wins
Concert Tickets, Movie Tickets, Gift Cards

its been a slow start...
Jul 19, 2009
3 posts
I am buying a iPhone next week and I have been debating about this. Until today. I realized that apple offers $229 for a out of warranty replacement water damage etc. So this would be cheaper as well as only if i need it I can use it.

True you can't upgrade your phone or get a different model. But it saves me money.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
932 posts
18 upvotes
macman64 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2009 11:42 pm
I am buying a iPhone next week and I have been debating about this. Until today. I realized that apple offers $229 for a out of warranty replacement water damage etc. So this would be cheaper as well as only if i need it I can use it.

True you can't upgrade your phone or get a different model. But it saves me money.
Does this cover you for an extra 1,2 or 3 years. You may actually not be saving cash as 2 years at ten bucks is 240 pretax and urs is 230 up front. It's always better to pay installments on this as there is no interest. Plus even if it does cover you for 3 years a new sick phone will definately come out by then.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
932 posts
18 upvotes
Lulz wrote:
Jul 20th, 2009 8:36 pm
So, I take you will be okay with company getting on your ass if they find out your phone didn't really have a problem, and you wanted to scam them? =)
I never said I would scam them. I'm afraid they'd scam me by small text in their warranty contract as well as all the ******** "we hold the right to change..." stuff they alway say which totally contradicts the idea of signing a contract. And I have no pity for futureshop. They make tons of money selling cases and cables 3000% what they get them for so watever
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
932 posts
18 upvotes
diamond_girl23 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2009 11:11 pm
BestbuyMobile actually has the same warranty plan and I spoke to the manager who personally told me that the $5/mth (for a regular phone) or the $10/mth extra for a smartphone type (Iphone, Blackberry etc) means that after the 30 days of having the phone, you could easily come back and tell them something is wrong with the phone (most of which they can't verify anyway) and you could switch the phone - or even switch service providers! (this came direct from the mouth of the BBM manager). That's all, not sure about how the contracts come into play when switching though.
Lol why can't you do anything before 30 days? What if you somehow got a messed up phone that didn't work but u talked over 30 minutes. Us have to wait 30 days? I think he told u that just cuz after 30 days ure locked into the contract and have to pay a cancellation fee to get out. I'm still under 30 days and still debating
Jul 19, 2009
3 posts
ahbitheman wrote:
Jul 21st, 2009 11:31 am
Does this cover you for an extra 1,2 or 3 years. You may actually not be saving cash as 2 years at ten bucks is 240 pretax and urs is 230 up front. It's always better to pay installments on this as there is no interest. Plus even if it does cover you for 3 years a new sick phone will definately come out by then.
It can happen at any time. So even four years down the road. I was told by future shop it was 3 years at 10 bucks so 360. I guess the question is, Is it worth it to keep up with the latest phone? If not the apple method is better as you may not have to spend the money.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
932 posts
18 upvotes
macman64 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2009 1:23 pm
It can happen at any time. So even four years down the road. I was told by future shop it was 3 years at 10 bucks so 360. I guess the question is, Is it worth it to keep up with the latest phone? If not the apple method is better as you may not have to spend the money.
Oh so it actually covers you forever? That's pretty good then. I know Rogers does a plan for 250 up front that covers water and physical as well. I prefer payin installments though. If only it was like bell where it's 7 bucks a month and it covers water and physical as well for like 3 years
Jul 19, 2009
3 posts
ahbitheman wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2009 6:44 pm
Oh so it actually covers you forever? That's pretty good then. I know Rogers does a plan for 250 up front that covers water and physical as well. I prefer payin installments though. If only it was like bell where it's 7 bucks a month and it covers water and physical as well for like 3 years
Thats assuming they keep the policy. If they decided to stop offering it they could.

http://www.apple.com/ca/support/iphone/ ... #warranty7
× < >