Shopping Discussion

FutureShop has restocked 2 amazing digital cams...which one to get?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2005 7:03 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 8, 2004
16 posts
Cheap Dave wrote:I second that. I've got a 2 megapixel Canon Powershot S200 ELPH that's over 2 years old and the picture quality is still on par with all current digital's at practical sizes like 4x6.
I hope all you Canon A85 fans are right. I just bought one at FS. This camera isn't the most discounted one ($70 off) but it's still selling out daily. FS.ca and FS b&m's are restocking a few of these each day this week.

This camera sounds like a good camera for a beginner and it has many features/settings for the more advanced photographer as well...
Nov 4, 2002
890 posts
91 upvotes
Burnaby
sorry for the threadjack.

I went with the HP R607 from Staples for the low-priced option ($210 from staples w/ $20 off coupon). From all the reviews i've gone through in the last week, to me, it seems like the best bang for the buck for that price.

(even cheaper, the M407, w/out the in-camera red eye reduction tool, for $150, if they let you use a $20 off coupon with the $30 IR)
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1378 posts
152 upvotes
I'd say the A400 is better bang for the buck at $199. The picture quality on those HP cameras leaves a little to be desired.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
currently own a Kodak and will never buy one again. total garbage. i don't know what's worse, the ridiculously poor night-time performance or the fact it takes around 30-40 seconds to "save" a picture that I shoot. (onto either SD *or* internal memory!).

from what I've heard from friends - similar experiences with other Kodaks.

next time I intend to buy a camera from a Real camera company - i.e. Canon.
Nov 4, 2002
890 posts
91 upvotes
Burnaby
Spike wrote:I'd say the A400 is better bang for the buck at $199. The picture quality on those HP cameras leaves a little to be desired.
I'm sure my brother would rather have optical zoom when it comes to taking a picture of a bear while fishing, rather than having to get right up close to it :D

And ya, the earlier HPs... wouldn't touch them. But the new R series are pretty decent cameras. Good reviews, nice samples pictures on the review sites, nice ergonomics, etc etc.
Jul 16, 2004
110 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I actually find kodak cameras to be ok. The flash light is sufficient enough to take indoor pictures. I also own an HP digital camera and I find that the kodak one is way better than the HP one. It will take less time to save pictures if you have one of those 60x memory cards.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1378 posts
152 upvotes
[QUOTE]I'm sure my brother would rather have optical zoom when it comes to taking a picture of a bear while fishing, rather than having to get right up close to it [/QUOTE]

The Canon A400 has 3x optical zoom, like the r607. The lens on the A400 is a minimum 45 mm equivalent, so it's always slightly in telephoto mode.

[QUOTE]And ya, the earlier HPs... wouldn't touch them. But the new R series are pretty decent cameras. Good reviews, nice samples pictures on the review sites, nice ergonomics, etc etc.[/QUOTE]

I don't know which R607 sample pics you've looked at, but the ones at Steves are the shits. Just compare them to the Canon and you'll see.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2002
3569 posts
40 upvotes
Sask
konfusion666 wrote:currently own a Kodak and will never buy one again. total garbage. i don't know what's worse, the ridiculously poor night-time performance or the fact it takes around 30-40 seconds to "save" a picture that I shoot. (onto either SD *or* internal memory!).

from what I've heard from friends - similar experiences with other Kodaks.

next time I intend to buy a camera from a Real camera company - i.e. Canon.
I used some of last year's Kodak's they were actually pretty good. Simplistic but took superb photos. Sorry to hear the new ones might not be as good.

As for 'real' camera companies, at 100 years old and counting, I think Kodak has done not too shabby and could rightfully claim to be a 'real' camera company. I bet your Canon prints nicest on Kodak paper!
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1951 posts
711 upvotes
Just got an email today (Jan. 1) saying that the Kodak CX7525 I ordered is OOS and will send me a ship notice when its available.

WTF!? The online site restocked this item 4-5X AFTER I ordered it
Oct 14, 2001
550 posts
1 upvote
bobor wrote:Just got an email today (Jan. 1) saying that the Kodak CX7525 I ordered is OOS and will send me a ship notice when its available.

WTF!? The online site restocked this item 4-5X AFTER I ordered it
I got the same e-mail . . . so far i'm not impressed with FS's 'sell to consumer even though we don't have stock' system . . . .
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Neil wrote:As for 'real' camera companies, at 100 years old and counting, I think Kodak has done not too shabby and could rightfully claim to be a 'real' camera company. I bet your Canon prints nicest on Kodak paper!
Ha. Actually my dig was more aimed at the fact that Kodak had closed their Canadian office earlier this year? Not sure, but a Kodak Canada employee posted something to that effect in the OT forum. If they're closing their CDN office, I take that to mean they're not doing too well...
Feb 26, 2004
383 posts
18 upvotes
net_essential wrote:I got A400 at FS Boxing Day sale. The Samsung one, not Canon.

The reason I bought Samsung because of the Night Shot on Samsung A400 is better than the Canon A400. and Samsung has 4.0MP.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon ... 00-review/

The only one bad thing on the Samsung A400 is no viewfinder on the Camera.
I bought this camera too. Excellent quality pics... will have my prints soon. Could not find any reviews on it though but a good deal @ 199$.

lack of a viewfinder sux, but I prefer the bigger lcd screen.
Sep 26, 2004
722 posts
3 upvotes
Upper north!
Fuji has the sharpest image!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1378 posts
152 upvotes
mtevie wrote:Fuji has the sharpest image!
Puhhlease :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1378 posts
152 upvotes
Smoove wrote:Originally Posted by net_essential
I got A400 at FS Boxing Day sale. The Samsung one, not Canon.

The reason I bought Samsung because of the Night Shot on Samsung A400 is better than the Canon A400. and Samsung has 4.0MP.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/c...ot_a400-review/

The only one bad thing on the Samsung A400 is no viewfinder on the Camera.
That's probably the only reason I didn't buy the Canon - the 1 second max exposure. The 10fps VGA video is another, but I could have put up with that. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any better sample pictures from similar priced/class cameras that can match the A400. If anyone can find some, point them out. I think they're even better than the higher priced Canons.

I'm seriously considering an S200 now, if I can find one on sale. :D
Sep 2, 2003
428 posts
Toronto
Spike wrote:That's probably the only reason I didn't buy the Canon - the 1 second max exposure. The 10fps VGA video is another, but I could have put up with that. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any better sample pictures from similar priced/class cameras that can match the A400. If anyone can find some, point them out. I think they're even better than the higher priced Canons.

I'm seriously considering an S200 now, if I can find one on sale. :D
The canon SD200 is on sale at Blacks for $369, I bought it and its absolutely amazing, IMHO thats the best value item at blacks during these sales.

What I love:
-640 x 480 @ 30fps video unlimited
-2.0" color LCD and a viewfinder
-really fast power up if you switch off all the startup sounds and images,
-really good quality pics ( i havent developed any yet)
-ultra compact body

What i dont like

-I cant get it to show up on my computer as a mass storage device under OS X, (i want to be able to just copy and paste pics, i dont like using the provided software)

-proprietery battery ( I guess to get it that small you cant use AA rechargeables)
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1951 posts
711 upvotes
I just got my 7525 from FS today but the box was missing the Camera Starter Kit! Is this packaged separately?

For anyone that ordered this camera and got it -- how did the Starter Kit come?
Jul 16, 2004
110 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
bobor wrote:I just got my 7525 from FS today but the box was missing the Camera Starter Kit! Is this packaged separately?

For anyone that ordered this camera and got it -- how did the Starter Kit come?
The starter kit comes in a dvd case with coupons on digital prints and savings on memory cards, rechargable batteries and many other savings. It also includes a Microsoft Picture It! express software. As for the VCD, it is just a basic introduction of how to take pictures using the kodak easy share digital camera. The person that introduces it is Dave Chalk.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)