Shopping Discussion

Futureshop video game CSR and commission?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2011 11:50 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto

Futureshop video game CSR and commission?

I went to my local futureshop with the intention to buy Assassin's Creed Brotherhood which was on sale for $19.99. As I got to the gaming section, a FS employee immediately approached me and asked me if I needed any help. I said no I'm okay, and I tried to ignore her. I looked along the games and she asked me if I was looking for a game in particular, again I said no I don't need help. Truth was I just didn't want to explain to her the difference between AC and AC2 and AC Brotherhood, and I would most likely find it myself faster. Anyway, I quickly found the game and picked it up, and then she immediately hounded me again and asked me if she could ring up the game for me and I could pay at the electronics section. I said wtf no, because I'm not done yet and I still wanted to look around the store.

Anyway, was she just trying to be overly helpful, or was she just looking to get an easy +1 commission sale logged against her stats? Do the employees in the video game section even get commission?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
The staff in the entertainment department only receive commission on the extended warranty. They do not receive commission on consoles, games or anything else. Regular staff don't receive commission on video games either.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1353 posts
861 upvotes
GTA
As already stated, there is no commission on video games an the employees in that dept do not work on commission. the employee was probably offering to ring it up in that dept because some manager wants it done that way to prevent back logs at the main tills
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
smitty9999 wrote: As already stated, there is no commission on video games an the employees in that dept do not work on commission. the employee was probably offering to ring it up in that dept because some manager wants it done that way to prevent back logs at the main tills

Or there have been a lot of games stolen recently and the staff have been told to ring them up in the department rather than let them wander around the store.
Jul 27, 2008
137 posts
30 upvotes
More than likely she wanted the chance to pitch you the extended warranty
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
Maybe she was into you, you just blew your chance with a gamer girl. Instead of just saying no repeatedly you should have made conversation with her, maybe she knew more about games than you assumed she did. You'd be surprised sometimes, a few of the cashiers at my local future shop are into gaming and we have talked about what is coming out just in passing.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1058 posts
50 upvotes
London ON
i always let them ring it up in that dept no need to wait behind the person who wants to price match a tv at the register at the front ;)

if you're so worried about them getting commission go to best buy
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2011
1127 posts
53 upvotes
I'm sure they can read.

The game box clearly says Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on it, it doesn't say 2, or nothing of the sorts. You just assumed too much or were feeling all high and mighty.

As much as I dislike Futureshop, this time you were clearly being an ass.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Hunter316 wrote: Or there have been a lot of games stolen recently and the staff have been told to ring them up in the department rather than let them wander around the store.

Reminds me of an incident I had at FS a few years ago. I was buying a PS3, so I went to the big display of them and grabbed one and then headed to the game section so find a game to buy as well. Some employee came up and asked if he could take it up the register for me. I told him that I was okay on my own. He left, but he came back about 30 seconds later and told me he had to take it to the register for me as the manager was worried about people stealing PS3's. I told him since I was basically being considered a thief, I wasn't going to buy it from them after all. I set the PS3 down on the ground and told him it was all his. I then went to Best Buy and bought one without being told I was a thief.

Even if the manager was worried about me stealing it for some odd reason (I don't fit any of the stereotypes of what a thief looks like), the employee should have known better than to actually tell me that. I didn't go to that FS for a long time after that.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
iridium001 wrote: I'm sure they can read.

The game box clearly says Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on it, it doesn't say 2, or nothing of the sorts. You just assumed too much or were feeling all high and mighty.

As much as I dislike Futureshop, this time you were clearly being an ass.

Being an ass how? Even if the employee could have helped him, I'm sure the OP could have found the game on his own just as quick. If I know what I want and know where to find it, I always tell the employees I don't need help. I really don't want someone standing over top of me telling me how I absolutely need the extended warranty. I prefer to help myself. If that makes me an ass, so be it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8252 posts
5753 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Reminds me of an incident I had at FS a few years ago. I was buying a PS3, so I went to the big display of them and grabbed one and then headed to the game section so find a game to buy as well. Some employee came up and asked if he could take it up the register for me. I told him that I was okay on my own. He left, but he came back about 30 seconds later and told me he had to take it to the register for me as the manager was worried about people stealing PS3's. I told him since I was basically being considered a thief, I wasn't going to buy it from them after all. I set the PS3 down on the ground and told him it was all his. I then went to Best Buy and bought one without being told I was a thief.

Even if the manager was worried about me stealing it for some odd reason (I don't fit any of the stereotypes of what a thief looks like), the employee should have known better than to actually tell me that. I didn't go to that FS for a long time after that.

So you left one store to drive to another store owned by the same company? :(
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Yeah sometimes I would be heading towards the cash register with some small items and some "helpful" CSR would want to ring up the purchase for me. I find it kinda annoying actually.

On the other hand, was the CSR cute? ;)
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
BigJonsson wrote: So you left one store to drive to another store owned by the same company? :(

It wasn't about punishing the company, it was about sending that specific employee (and his manager if he passed along my message) a message, letting them know not to accuse their customers of being thieves.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2005
1477 posts
343 upvotes
Shaner wrote: It wasn't about punishing the company, it was about sending that specific employee (and his manager if he passed along my message) a message, letting them know not to accuse their customers of being thieves.
He didn't. Only thing he did was put the PS3 back and had a laugh with his coworkers at your expense. You essentially threw a temper tantrum in the middle of the store like a 4 year old. Congrats.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
eightyeight wrote: He didn't. Only thing he did was put the PS3 back and had a laugh with his coworkers at your expense. You essentially threw a temper tantrum in the middle of the store like a 4 year old. Congrats.

I threw a temper tantrum by leaving the store and shopping elsewhere after being accused of being a thief? If that's a tantrum, then I guess I threw a tantrum. I'd do the same thing every time. If someone accuses me of being a thief or is disrespectful to me in some other manner, I will shop elsewhere. Why would I give a store my business that treats me like that?

You're right though, the employee probably didn't pass along my message, nor do I care if he did or didn't. He also probably didn't care that I walked out, but who knows, maybe he realized he lost a chance at talking another customer into buying an extended warranty. That's potential money out of his pocket. Again, I don't care either way, but I wasn't about to stay at that store and buy anything when I'm treated like that. Anyone who would is an idiot.
Mar 7, 2010
445 posts
26 upvotes
appleb wrote: Anyway, was she just trying to be overly helpful, or was she just looking to get an easy +1 commission sale logged against her stats? Do the employees in the video game section even get commission?
Sounds like she was just trying to do her job, and doing a fairly good job of it too. (sounds like she was nice)

Remember that the gaming employees stock those shelves themselves and do all the price changes themselves. So chances are if you go in asking for a popular game she would have known exactly where on the shelf it was and probably knew how many were left in stock.
Shaner wrote: I really don't want someone standing over top of me telling me how I absolutely need the extended warranty.
rambo6 wrote:More than likely she wanted the chance to pitch you the extended warranty
There is no extended warranty on media (games and movies) you're thinking of EBgames/Gamestop. ^_^
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
6145 posts
2957 upvotes
Kanata
Shaner wrote: Reminds me of an incident I had at FS a few years ago. I was buying a PS3, so I went to the big display of them and grabbed one and then headed to the game section so find a game to buy as well. Some employee came up and asked if he could take it up the register for me. I told him that I was okay on my own. He left, but he came back about 30 seconds later and told me he had to take it to the register for me as the manager was worried about people stealing PS3's. I told him since I was basically being considered a thief, I wasn't going to buy it from them after all. I set the PS3 down on the ground and told him it was all his. I then went to Best Buy and bought one without being told I was a thief.

I would've done the same thing. I also understand their position, but what they should do is just keep a good eye at the front door looking instead of accusing people of stealing. He was probably new to the store, I doubt any veteran in sales would go up to a customer and say that sort of thing anyway.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.