Shopping Discussion

Futureshop Warranty Not Worth it at all (on laptops)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2009 4:03 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 23, 2009
932 posts
18 upvotes

Futureshop Warranty Not Worth it at all (on laptops)

I know tons of people on here hate on warranties and I dont prefer to buy them myself either. I recently cracked my laptop screen and was quoted about $480 from LG (even under manufacturer warranty) and futureshop couldnt give me a price. Both had to ship and make me wait weeks to get it back and if I declined their estimate to the repair Id have to at least pay them 50 or 40 bucks respectively just for having it examined.

Instead I called around and went to Computer Care Center in Ottawa and got the screen replaced with a brand new one in an hour for $250.

If I had bought a warranty originally from FS, it would have been like 300-400 dollars and I dont think it wuold have even covered this accidental damage.

I talked to the guys there and they told me that all the work they do there is usually for futureshop (he even showed me reciepts) and futureshop actually marks up the price of the repair 50-100 extra.

He told me Computer Care Centre does any kind of repair and the prices for them.

So my point is, since its pretty rare for all out hardware failure, wouldnt it just be better to repair the laptop yourself, paying 200 bucks when you actually need it rather than 300 up front?

PLUS..barely any wait time and hassle. I've read a lot of your horror stories about having to negotiate with FS on warranty coverage.

Opinions?
23 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
116 upvotes
In your case it was but insurance is a risk/reward comparison. Sometimes it's cheaper to have the insurance and sometimes it isn't. If the warranty always cost less than the repairs, then no one would offer warranties.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7249 posts
652 upvotes
Toronto
spf1971 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2009 9:00 am
In your case it was but insurance is a risk/reward comparison. Sometimes it's cheaper to have the insurance and sometimes it isn't. If the warranty always cost less than the repairs, then no one would offer warranties.
This reminds me of that internal Gamestop memo telling employees to stop offering xbox 360 warrantees, because they were losing too money from all the warrantee claims.
Aug 9, 2009
450 posts
4 upvotes
Warranties are hit and miss. I got a dell m1710 gaming laptop about 3 years ago. I got the complete care next business day warranty which includes ANY kind of damage including dropping it or breaking the screen. The only thing not covered is the battery (which miraculously dies riiight after 1 year :mad :) . I have had alot of work done on my laptop. The only problems I have had is talking to customer care, they take a loooong time to make sure there is something wrong. I end up spending 2-3 hours on the phone with them doing diagnostics and what not. Although, I have not had any problems getting anything that is wrong fixed. The repair technician normally comes out to my home to replace whatever needs to be replaced, or if it is something like a hard drive or cd drive or keyboard, they send it to you in a box and you change it yourself and return what you took out. Overall, the warranty was well worth what I paid.

One last thing I would say is that you should ALWAYS get a warranty on a laptop. A desktop isnt a big deal but laptops are more prone to damage, both external and internal. It can cost alot to repair them too because parts are not as abundant as desktop parts so costs can rack up quick. The only thing I hate about FS and BB warranties is that they take forever to fix things. They do not do anything in house, they always send to manufacturer or to someone else. Although, with some computer companies companies they may have an approved repair facility near your location where you can take it in personally and they will fix it for you through the 1 year manufacturer warranty (costing you nothing). I have had this experience through Asus.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2004
4768 posts
225 upvotes
My friend once told me he knew someone works in an insurance company that offered Bestbuy and Futureshop warranty. It works like this: Customer pays $100 for the warranty, Bestbuy or Futureshop buy the warranty from an insurance company for $50, and the insurance company offered this warranty still makes $$$. Now, you figure out if this is worth it.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
932 posts
18 upvotes
golden wrote:
Aug 20th, 2009 10:58 pm
My friend once told me he knew someone works in an insurance company that offered Bestbuy and Futureshop warranty. It works like this: Customer pays $100 for the warranty, Bestbuy or Futureshop buy the warranty from an insurance company for $50, and the insurance company offered this warranty still makes $$$. Now, you figure out if this is worth it.
haha oh wow, any way we can directly get insured by a company for cheaper?
Jul 19, 2007
199 posts
3 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I personally subscribe to the idea of putting aside the money you would have spent on the warranty in a bank account and if you need it to fix your electronic product then it's there ... if you don't need it fixed then not only did you save that money, it also earned you some interest as well (if you put them in a high interest account).

Another option is to set aside $10 a month automatically into a savings account in 3 years you'll have a min of $360.00 (+interest) which you can use to either fix your computer if something is wrong with it, use it to upgrade components or use it to put it towards a new computer. All without dealing with insurance people.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18494 posts
926 upvotes
spf1971 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2009 9:00 am
Yep - read a /. story the other day that > 50% of 360s fail under the first year. What a horrible console.

Anyway back to the OP - warranties rarely cover accidental damage, so I don't know why you would expect anything here.

The only warranty that covers accidental damage is the CC warranty for the first 90 days.

On a side note - for a cracked laptop screen, your best bet actually is usually to just shop on eBay and buy a new one and swap it yourself. It is usually very simple to do so.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Feb 18, 2008
326 posts
784 upvotes
Our fist laptop was a no-name brand at Future Shop and we take an extended warranty. The DVD burner broke, the Hard Drive broke.. The laptop have been repaired 3 times I think and each time it have takes weeks! So it have been cheaper for us to take an extended warranty than to repair but it was probably longer to get it repaired than if we've bring it at a local repair shop.

It's old stuff but I remember there was a lot of thing's that the sale guys said us about the warranty that finally was not true, and even on the paper that was not clear or writed.

They was supposed to give you a new laptop after the third reparation but they don't because they said the third one was not include in the ''program''.

They had 6 or 8 weeks to repair a laptop and they always gave us one day before it...
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
182 upvotes
Surrey
golden wrote:
Aug 20th, 2009 10:58 pm
Gee...this sounds like how any insurance company works. The premiums of the many pay for the claims of the few. If you don't want insurance, don't buy any, but it's certainly not a bad deal for those who need to take advantage of it.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
29 upvotes
Tdot
anyone ever get warranty covered thru ur CC company? i wonder how that works...
E5200 @ 3.5200 Ghz BIOS 1.38125v 24/7 | Asus P5Q PRO | G.Skill F2-8000CL5D 8GB ram @ 853MHz on 2.10v | 1 TB Samsung F1 Spinpoint HD | 1 TB Seagate 7200.11 rpm| 1 TB WD1001FALS Black Caviar | Antec SONATA 500w Designer Case | BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT OC+ 512MB PCIe 2.0 | OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF | Samsung LN40A530 C(rappy) panel | Logitech G51 sound | Xbox 360 60gb | *PS3 w/ 263gb | Nintendo Wii LU37 | Vista Ultimate x64

/me wuz pwn3d by GAG forums lolz
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
3806 posts
22 upvotes
It's all about money. If you're willing to shell out extra for extended warranty then that's your decision. But before you buy it make sure they WRITE down exactly what's covered and under what circumstance.

Coverage isn't the problem, it's the hassle of getting the repair approved and any additional RMA costs like shipping. If you're pulling your hair out then extended warranty isn't worth it.

Obviously every situation is different. But when you see $350 netbooks you understand it's not worth extended coverage. For a Macbook Pro? Sure grab that Apple Care because it'll help you resell it. LCD damage & battery life are major problems with warranty and many companies don't replace it free.

I would spend money on a better carry case & backpack, and charge it on my Visa or MC for free 1 Year extra coverage. It's the same hassle going through your CC company as it is with Futureshop's warranty.
Apr 22, 2008
391 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I always advise people to buy warranties on ANYTHING more fragile and/or subjected to wear & tear. More importantly, look into repair prices before buying a warranty.

Items such as Desktop PCs, which are rarely subjected to any physical stress and if something does go awry, replacement parts are mainly dirt cheap.

Items such as laptops, digital cameras, etc (i.e. portable items subjected to more physical stress) and with highly specialized parts seem to be well worth the deal.

Damn, had I forgone the Applecare on my Macbook, I would be screwed.

1. The HD crashed & was replaced
2. The topcase cracked
3. The DVD RW broke
4. The battery went haywire
5. The topcase cracked (again)
6. The power cord stopped working
7. The screen is starting to have some odd white spots

Although I am amazed at the service & speed of Apple repairs (Bestbuy had my HP for 1.5 months, and even sent it off for repairs slated for some other computer, and that other computer having received the repairs I was due), but damn, I wish they had the 3 strikes or its a lemon policy.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
932 posts
18 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2009 11:12 am
Yep - read a /. story the other day that > 50% of 360s fail under the first year. What a horrible console.

Anyway back to the OP - warranties rarely cover accidental damage, so I don't know why you would expect anything here.

The only warranty that covers accidental damage is the CC warranty for the first 90 days.

On a side note - for a cracked laptop screen, your best bet actually is usually to just shop on eBay and buy a new one and swap it yourself. It is usually very simple to do so.
Yea I looked into buying just the screen online but I couldnt find a lot of choice, and the prices they had werent even up. I see some now for about 140 total but with shipping time, installation hassle and the fact I need this laptop for school which starts soon, it was probably better to just have it fixed on the stop at the repair shop.

Either way, I lost out simply due to one step of my foot on my laptop. I wish I had just put the laptop on the bed instead of next to it. ugh
Come Check out my new Blog @ http://ahbisworld.blogspot.com/
Rogers Retention Plan - 250 Daytime Minutes, 5pm early evening calling, 1000 canada wide long distance minutes, unlimited incoming calls, voicemail, caller ID, unlimited text, call forwarding/transfer, 6 gb of data - TOTAL Price including 13% tax = $48.42. (Total of $69.50 in credits which includes a 15% bundle discount) :D
Jun 5, 2007
973 posts
204 upvotes
York
kleptodathief wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2009 8:50 am
anyone ever get warranty covered thru ur CC company? i wonder how that works...
Yes, I have has GREAT sucess with CC warranty. I had a Tecra S1 that had a 3 yr mfr warranty and the laptop died during the 4th year. I bought it with my RBC CC and instead of repairing it (GEMANATION in Toronto quoted just over 1000 to fix it), RBC gave me a credit of just over 1000 towards a new laptop (The cost of the repair)
× < >