Shopping Discussion

Futureshop wont let my mom cancel the monthly service plan?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2012 6:37 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2009
1353 posts
353 upvotes
Edmonton

Futureshop wont let my mom cancel the monthly service plan?

My mom got a cell phone on a contract 15 months ago, They asked if she wanted to pay $10 a month for the service plan, So they automatically take it off her credit card monthly. she said yes.

She no longer has the phone & she tried to cancel it inside FS. The employee even called head office, But they refused & said it might of been in the contract, So they told her shes stuck for another 1.5 years. But the contract was already printed when they asked her.

We had no idea they do service plans on contracts now. Employee told us to get around it, get a new CC number :o
83 replies
Aug 11, 2008
658 posts
37 upvotes
Victoria
which provider is it with?

You have to know that with cell phones after the first 30 days, it's pointless to go back to futureshop (the dealer), and it's much better to deal with the provider directly.

Did she sign a contract? If she signed a 3 year contract, she is stuck in that contract, even if the FS associate lied to her and said it wasn't a contract (she should read whatever she signs).

I think we need more details...

As for changing the CC number, if it is a contract, she will still get billed the $10 a month, but it will eventually go to collections and then be a bad hit on her credit.

But since it's only $10 a month, I have a feeling there is a miss communication, there are no 3 year contract plans that I know of that are $10 a month. The only thing I could think of is the auto-top up $10 card a month through rogers pay as you go, and to stop that all you have to do is call rogers pay as you go customer service and tell them to stop the auto-top ups.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2009
1353 posts
353 upvotes
Edmonton
It was Telus, Its not the provider, Its under Future Shop's Product Service Plan

The CC statement reads
AGI FUTURE SHOP MPSP 866-668-6002 ON Insurance $10.49
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
182 upvotes
Surrey
XShadowX wrote:
Jan 12th, 2010 1:52 am
My mom got a cell phone on a contract 15 months ago, They asked if she wanted to pay $10 a month for the service plan, So they automatically take it off her credit card monthly. she said yes.
So, if your mum signed a contract where she was paid $10/month and Future Shop wanted to back out, what would you be doing? Complaining about them wanting to unilaterally cancel the contract, I bet.

Your mum signed a contract. I suspect she's a big girl who can look after herself. She should also be able to accept responsibility for her own actions.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2009
1353 posts
353 upvotes
Edmonton
iamnotamerican.com wrote:
Jan 12th, 2010 2:38 am
Your mum signed a contract. I suspect she's a big girl who can look after herself. She should also be able to accept responsibility for her own actions.
Because she didn't sign a contract? The last second before she paid, They asked if she wanted the service plan for an extra $10 a month. asking at the last second, she couldn't of possibility signed. If it was in the contract, FS has to have a copy & they should be able to provide it. The employee was clueless too, she said a few months ago they aloud them to cancel, But not anymore.

Jan 12th, 2010 2:38 am
So, if your mum signed a contract where she was paid $10/month and Future Shop wanted to back out, what would you be doing? Complaining about them wanting to unilaterally cancel the contract, I bet.
May i asked how FS would even pay someone free money first?
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
182 upvotes
Surrey
XShadowX wrote:
Jan 12th, 2010 2:46 am
Because she didn't sign a contract? The last second before she paid, They asked if she wanted the service plan for an extra $10 a month. asking at the last second, she couldn't of possibility signed. If it was in the contract, FS has to have a copy & they should be able to provide it. The employee was clueless too, she said a few months ago they aloud them to cancel, But not anymore.
A verbal contract is still a contract, and I suspect something would have been provided her in the form of documentation to read. If nothing was, she has grounds to terminate the contract, UNLESS it's deemed acceptance through the fact she hasn't questioned the payments previously.
May i asked how FS would even pay someone free money first?
Irrelevant. You understand very clearly the point being made. I like the way you try to tapdance around it though. :-)
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2009
1353 posts
353 upvotes
Edmonton
Jan 12th, 2010 3:08 am
A verbal contract is still a contract, and I suspect something would have been provided her in the form of documentation to read. If nothing was, she has grounds to terminate the contract, UNLESS it's deemed acceptance through the fact she hasn't questioned the payments previously.
Ok, I'll tell my mom to call FS head office her self.

13sundin wrote:
Jan 12th, 2010 3:12 am
what is insurance for anyways?
any damage to the phone, You can go in FS to replace it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 10, 2007
9155 posts
786 upvotes
XShadowX wrote:
Jan 12th, 2010 1:52 am
We had no idea they do service plans on contracts now. Employee told us to get around it, get a new CC number :o
even if you get a new number, they still be able to take money out of it.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2009
1353 posts
353 upvotes
Edmonton
Gee wrote:
Jan 12th, 2010 5:22 am
What happened to her phone?
She canceled the contract with telus & paid them $500 fee.

Was paying too much money a month, $130 per month around> :( .
Jun 4, 2005
387 posts
15 upvotes
what the heck was she doing to be paying that much! you shouldn't let her into big box stores alone anymore lol...

also I didn't know futureshop charge monthly for their service plans, all or nothing when you bought the product. Yet another way to steal money from willing people?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
116 upvotes
nave wrote:
Jan 12th, 2010 7:03 am
what the heck was she doing to be paying that much! you shouldn't let her into big box stores alone anymore lol...

also I didn't know futureshop charge monthly for their service plans, all or nothing when you bought the product. Yet another way to steal money from willing people?
It sounds like the OP's mother bought an extended warranty on the phone. The warranty on contract items is often per month for the duration of the contract. The fact that they cancelled their contract with Telus doesn't change the fact that they also have a contract with Future Shop.
Banned
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
101 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
Women are suckers for insurance. My fiance paid $90 for 3 years insurance on her crappy cell phone (not even a smart phone).
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2623 posts
76 upvotes
If they can't provide the paper work, you should be able to stop paying. Be prepared to duke it out though - you might have to deal with it on your mom's behalf if she is susceptible to being bullied over the phone or through letters.

It is also quite easy to block the automatic withdrawal on the credit card.... :) . If you do block, and they come back with the signed documentation, you should have a very good paper trail indicating that previously they didn't provide you with the requested documentation in a timely manner.

That being said, at the end of the day, if there is a signed document, you should still have remedies available. If you can demonstrate that FS pressured your mom into signing it, and she was not well informed, then I would imagine that you might be able to get the contract nullified. To take an "extreme" analogy - try to enforce a contract that you get a child to sign or a drunk person or a mentally challenged person to sign. Good luck with that :) .

If you are really lucky/persistent, maybe you can even get a refund for the money already paid. If you start with that approach - as a "settlement" they might just cancel the contract and not refund the already paid money.

There are lots of rules to protect consumers - even in the presence of an unfavourable contract. Maybe the contract itself has clauses to terminate the contract if the phone is no longer available. If they can't produce the contract, then well, we talked about it already :) .
× < >