• Apr 18th, 2014 9:54 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7536 posts
375 upvotes

FYI: Starbucks card exchange rate

Just an FYI for starbucks drinkers. The exchange rate is extremely poor on a Starbucks card when using it across the border.

We were in the states on the weekend and wanted a frappaccino and since we had a Starbucks card (Canadian), we decided to use that since we didnt' have any USD on us.

They accept the CDN card no problem but when we checked the amount charged, ended up being $1CAD=$0.80USD! Horrible considering our CC was exchanging at around $0.91.

Shame on us for not looking into it/inquiring beforehand.

Just wanted to share the info.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2013
1411 posts
258 upvotes
0.91+2.5% CC charge vs 0.80
=13%+2.5%=15% ripoff on spot rate
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
10527 posts
1880 upvotes
Toronto
The bigger ripoff are their latte's and cappucinno's which cost more than somewhere else and are so weak they need an extra shot or two of espresso in them

www.cremacoffee.ca if you want a decent capuccinno or latte.
May 10, 2009
176 posts
9 upvotes
Richmond Hill
eonibm wrote:
Apr 17th, 2014 2:09 pm
The bigger ripoff are their latte's and cappucinno's which cost more than somewhere else and are so weak they need an extra shot or two of espresso in them

www.cremacoffee.ca if you want a decent capuccinno or latte.
We need a lot more of these indie coffee places in the suburbs :|
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
6950 posts
11611 upvotes
Scarborough
This is why I keep a Canadian and US card in my app. I usually fill up my US card through various deals/promos where I get a double what I put in which is nice.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
10527 posts
1880 upvotes
Toronto
tarteaucitron wrote:
Apr 17th, 2014 5:53 pm
We need a lot more of these indie coffee places in the suburbs :|
Only way that will happen is if they get business. Too many people worship at the Church of Starbucks and have no clue what a really good cup of coffee is. And, Crema Coffee doesn't even charge more!
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2005
1213 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
Since when did they start using exchange rates? I remember it was 1 for 1 for the longest time, even before our dollar was on par.
Jan 5, 2009
567 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto, ON
did anybody notice the original post was from 2010?
Cityfone $40 month plan - direct channel signed up June 11th.
May 10, 2009
176 posts
9 upvotes
Richmond Hill
eonibm wrote:
Apr 17th, 2014 8:28 pm
Only way that will happen is if they get business. Too many people worship at the Church of Starbucks and have no clue what a really good cup of coffee is. And, Crema Coffee doesn't even charge more!
So true, sadly. I always made sure to get my coffee at all the indie places when near by, but still had to see them go away one by one. Not enough people appreciating them.
× < >