G driver test

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2006 12:04 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 3, 2006
42 posts

G driver test

i recently failed G test mainly because of small mistakes like checking mirrors...i also made some mistakes on something that i am not familiar with. What does it this mean on the examination paper: "Traffic Check: Not by Traffic Speed" ?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
2126 posts
115 upvotes
Medicine Hat
i think that would mean you were speeding because everyone else was
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
7000 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
On the G Exit test, not checking mirrors is HUGE.

When I did my G some time ago, she outright side "This is a test of driving and observation, you're expected to make all eye and head movements obvious and noticible..."

As for the traffic check, were you going above/below the speed limit? It could also relate back to not looking around.

It may be an idea to do an in car lesson with a driving instructor to brush up on basic driving skills.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Jul 3, 2006
42 posts
yea...i'm definatly going to take one lesson before redoing the test. I'm also considering taking the test at the aurora centre because i heard it was much easier than where i took it (morningside)
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1192 posts
1 upvote
vette85 wrote:yea...i'm definatly going to take one lesson before redoing the test. I'm also considering taking the test at the aurora centre because i heard it was much easier than where i took it (morningside)
One of my family friends is an examiner and he told me Morningside is one of the easiest, and by that virtue, one that a lot of people take their test at. I took my test there and did fine.
"There are no pacts between lions and men, and wolves and lambs have no concord." - Homer
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2004
2301 posts
You MUST check your mirrors and traffic at intersections by exaggerating head movements! This is huge... the examiner cannot see you using your peripheral vision, so MOVE your head.

"make ALL eye and head movements obvious and noticible..."
Spot on!

Re: Traffic check... did you change speed posted zones.. i.e 50 to 40 zone... did you notice and adjust your speed?
"Feelin' okay this mornin', and you know,
We're on the road to paradise...Here we go"
Jul 3, 2006
42 posts
north77 wrote:You MUST check your mirrors and traffic at intersections by exaggerating head movements! This is huge... the examiner cannot see you using your peripheral vision, so MOVE your head.

"make ALL eye and head movements obvious and noticible..."
Spot on!

Re: Traffic check... did you change speed posted zones.. i.e 50 to 40 zone... did you notice and adjust your speed?
i only changed speed zones when making left or right turns and went to the speed limit accordingly. I'm thinking of wearing a hat next time so the examiner can notice the head movements
Jan 12, 2006
929 posts
59 upvotes
Head movements are huge, even when you look at the rear view mirror, freakin lift your chin high.

Examiners can't tell if you're looking, especially if you're wearing sunglasses.
Banned
Aug 3, 2004
1888 posts
vette85 wrote:i only changed speed zones when making left or right turns and went to the speed limit accordingly. I'm thinking of wearing a hat next time so the examiner can notice the head movements
wearing a hat?!?! that's your idea of noticable head movements?? I am pretty sure they will ask you to take it off...if they are nice...otherwise...they will just fail you just because they don't like you for wearing a hat...I don't know about you....but I think wearing a hat inside the car or indoor is simply disrespectful...didn't they teach you that in high school?
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
2759 posts
131 upvotes
dtcanada wrote:wearing a hat?!?! that's your idea of noticable head movements?? I am pretty sure they will ask you to take it off...if they are nice...otherwise...they will just fail you just because they don't like you for wearing a hat...I don't know about you....but I think wearing a hat inside the car or indoor is simply disrespectful...didn't they teach you that in high school?

Actually I was told by my driving instructor to wear a hat also. Or to wear something so that when u turn ur head it makes noise. I wore one of the puffy vests it made alot of noise when i turned my head cuz of my hair scratching against the colar of the vest. Worked like a charm.
Jul 3, 2006
42 posts
so does anyone actually know what the "Traffic Check: Not by Traffic Speed" thing means?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3813 posts
25 upvotes
dtcanada wrote:but I think wearing a hat inside the car or indoor is simply disrespectful
Why is that? :confused: .... who came up with that? :confused:
"So, what happens when I use Monster cable with Bose speakers? Do two of them cause the multiplied composite effect, creating a sort of fiscal black hole, in which money disappears never to be seen again?"
Nov 30, 2003
511 posts
79 upvotes
Edmonton
masterballer wrote:Why is that? :confused: .... who came up with that? :confused:
It's hat etiquette that goes back a long time, part of the rules/customs like how you take off your hat when the anthem plays. Of course social etiquette is always changing, but I was still taught to take off my hat as a sign of respect and courtesy especially indoors.
Banned
Aug 3, 2004
1888 posts
marcopolo85 wrote:Actually I was told by my driving instructor to wear a hat also. Or to wear something so that when u turn ur head it makes noise. I wore one of the puffy vests it made alot of noise when i turned my head cuz of my hair scratching against the colar of the vest. Worked like a charm.
Interesting....i never know that...my driving instructor is an a$$hole...i wouldn't know...that jerk rip me off!...btw..driving instructor is not always right...I did so much better without an instructor...
lazybum131 wrote:It's hat etiquette that goes back a long time, part of the rules/customs like how you take off your hat when the anthem plays. Of course social etiquette is always changing, but I was still taught to take off my hat as a sign of respect and courtesy especially indoors.
exactly! that's how i was taught/raised too! even my high school teachers still teach that basic courtesy..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
vette85 wrote:i recently failed G test mainly because of small mistakes like checking mirrors...
Failing to check your mirrors is NOT a minor mistake, it's FATAL, not just for your test, but also literally when driving. Only sub-par "drivers" drive without checking their mirrors EVERY FEW SECONDS: you NEED to update your "radar" constantly.
Jul 23, 2005
700 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
dtcanada wrote:wearing a hat?!?! that's your idea of noticable head movements?? I am pretty sure they will ask you to take it off...if they are nice...otherwise...they will just fail you just because they don't like you for wearing a hat...I don't know about you....but I think wearing a hat inside the car or indoor is simply disrespectful...didn't they teach you that in high school?
i'll wear a hat inside my own car if i want to, who's to tell me that inside a car is disrespectful
Jul 3, 2006
42 posts
teknoluv wrote:Failing to check your mirrors is NOT a minor mistake, it's FATAL, not just for your test, but also literally when driving. Only sub-par "drivers" drive without checking their mirrors EVERY FEW SECONDS: you NEED to update your "radar" constantly.

let me rephrase that...i was checking the mirrors every 5 seconds but i dont think i made it obvious enough for the examiner to notice
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
7000 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
Keep in mind to glancing in your rear view every few moments doesn't constitute being aware of the space around you, when defined by the Ministry G2 Exit Standards.

For example, you're expected to do a shoulder check everytime you make a turn (check will be based on whichever way you turn) and shoulder check regardless if it is a full or rolling stop, do a full 180 degree left/center/right check everytime you go thru any sort of intersection (be it controlled/uncontrolled).
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Banned
Aug 3, 2004
1888 posts
hwoarang wrote:i'll wear a hat inside my own car if i want to, who's to tell me that inside a car is disrespectful
you can do whatever you want in your "own" imaginary car...with that kind of talk, I doubt you even have a car of your "own"...I don't give a F|_|CK what you do...

btw...I was talking about taking a test with the examier...if you don't give them any respect, how can you expect any respect from them? and without respect or courtesy, you'll fail before you even leave the parking lot

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)