Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo

G-Mail Spam

Has anyone else noticed a dramatic increase in spam recieved in your g-mail accounts?

In the last week I've started to get alot. In fact I'm getting more then either of my yahoo/hotmail accounts get.

It's like overnight they messed up something in the spam filter.
15 replies
Banned
Dec 13, 2003
951 posts
2 upvotes
none for me so far.....hope I dont get any...lol
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
I noticed that spam's starting to come to my inbox. Before last week, it's been squeaky clean. I don't use that account, nor had I registerd anythign with it. I've sent out a couple of trial e-mails and that's about it. But I got roughly one a day startind Dec 1. Oh well, they all went to the sapm folder so not that big of a deal. I got a boat load more in my Yahoo account.

ON a semi-related note, I noticed that Hotmail has been doing a much better job in filtering spam than Yahoo. I don't have filters setup for eitehr account, I keep getting 20+ a day with Yahoo. I registered a lot more with my HOtmail than with Yahoo. Oh well. Garbage e-mail for registration. :)
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2004
10349 posts
8 upvotes
I'm actually getting spam now with my gmail account.. never was before. It all goes to my spam folder, so I'm not too worried..

I wonder, though, if the spammers have been able to get gmail accounts.. in order to fine-tune their @)(@@!#! to get around the spam filters.
Jun 18, 2004
750 posts
664 upvotes
Vancouver Island
I'm getting more spam to my gmail, but it is appearing in the spam "directory", and not in my inbox. Until recently, I wasn't getting any spam.

They all appear to be emails offering WinXP Pro for $60.
Mar 13, 2003
239 posts
Toronto
Platypus wrote:I'm getting more spam to my gmail, but it is appearing in the spam "directory", and not in my inbox. Until recently, I wasn't getting any spam.

They all appear to be emails offering WinXP Pro for $60.

same here! :lol:
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2003
1006 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
bigstar* wrote:same here! :lol:

The spam is comming directly from Microsoft (bill Gate) :lol:
Hes trying to hard to make a few bucks...... : :cheesygri ...Bastard!!!!
May 22, 2004
480 posts
21 upvotes
My spam folder in Gmail use to be empty too.. I never use my gmail account for signing up for stuff so I don't know why I'm getting spam in it recently. Only my friends know about my gmail account. Weird but it doesn't bother me since it goes straight to the SPAM folder.
Feb 18, 2003
665 posts
14 upvotes
Vancouver
nope... no spam in either of my gmail accounts... I guess I'll be looking to see if I get some soon.
Aug 27, 2003
22 posts
Started getting spam on Dec. 1st. All went to the spam folder. But only one person knows this email, I'm still using my first hotmail account for signing up stuff and my other for all other mail. I don't like getting spam before I even started using the account for real. :mad:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
NDman wrote:ON a semi-related note, I noticed that Hotmail has been doing a much better job in filtering spam than Yahoo.
The problem with hotmail isn't really spam though. The problem is how many e-mails they target as spam which are real e-mails. They've been known for killing good e-mails before they even reach your junk folder.

So at least I'm not alone on the spam. Guess this is what you risk when the service gets more popular.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5604 posts
438 upvotes
Mississauga
fidoguydo wrote:My spam folder in Gmail use to be empty too.. I never use my gmail account for signing up for stuff so I don't know why I'm getting spam in it recently. Only my friends know about my gmail account. Weird but it doesn't bother me since it goes straight to the SPAM folder.

yeah, i got 1 spam email that went to the spam folder.. nothing more and i hope it stays that way
Sep 17, 2003
699 posts
12 upvotes
Mississauga
No SPAM here and I do subscribe to a a couple of lists...
Sep 27, 2004
898 posts
214 upvotes
Carnage wrote:Has anyone else noticed a dramatic increase in spam recieved in your g-mail accounts?

In the last week I've started to get alot. In fact I'm getting more then either of my yahoo/hotmail accounts get.

It's like overnight they messed up something in the spam filter.
I have three Gmail accounts I sometimes use for contests, etc--one for myself and two for family members. All 3 of these accounts have been getting a lot of spam all week. Previous to this they never got anything. I have other Gmal accounts and they're still clean.

I suspect that one of the contests I entered with all 3 accounts sold their list to spammers. :mad:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
codex wrote: I suspect that one of the contests I entered with all 3 accounts sold their list to spammers. :mad:
Yeah, that's what I'm worred about too. That my e-mail might have gotten on some list, and is now being whored out to spammers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)