• Mar 5th, 2013 6:34 am
Tags:
None
Sep 12, 2004
516 posts
4 upvotes
North York, Toronto

G Road Test

What things do I need to watch for in this exam? Where do you suggest I get it done?
62 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2003
4226 posts
9 upvotes
Strathroy, ON
t_ginuwine wrote:What things do I need to watch for in this exam? Where do you suggest I get it done?
Where do you live?
Power.
Jun 10, 2004
475 posts
Toronto
Speed. Almost everyone I know who failed G failed because either they were too slow or too fast. Don't even think 5km over the posted speed limit is ok. The examiners are not testing to see whether or not you're going to be a speed-demon once you get your G, they're checking on how well you can control your vehicle.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
1153 posts
3 upvotes
Parallel parking and reverse parking are BIG.
other than that, just make sure you know the road rules, and always look over your shoulders and signal.
Remember, its not what you think you're doing, its what you IMPLY to the tester that you're doing.
May 28, 2003
546 posts
Markham (G.T.A)
Road rules for Aurora. Parallel parking was a breeze, even though I never practiced for over a year nor do I live in downtown. Watch your speed, I was 10 KM/H under in a residential zone (40 in a 50), and 20 KM/H under in a "country" zone, I was doing 60 on bloomington right after the 404 exit, and well there was no posted speed.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4094 posts
226 upvotes
remember

CHECK YOUR BLINDSPOT!!! MAKE IT OBVIOUS!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9172 posts
381 upvotes
Markham
I did the G2 exit test 2 months ago it wasn't very difficult. Just try to drive normally and show the examiner that you know what you're doing. Be sure to check mirrors often, and to take it safe, don't take risks.

Know how to do parking and such, that will be asked, and how to properly pull over. And you can drive in any lane, so you don't have to worry about being stuck when there's a clear road.

Just make sure when you enter the highway, to make sure you are at the speed as the rest of the cars there, and enter in safely.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6287 posts
9 upvotes
Waterloo
Suresh wrote:Parallel parking and reverse parking are BIG.
That's wrong. They are only testing you on your driving ability. If the instructor feels that you're a safe and compitent driver then you pass. the parallel park means nothing.

I butchered my parallel park. I'm talking like 6 feet from the curb, no where close. And I still passed.

Also reverse parking wasn't even on my G test unlike the G2 test.

You can quite easiliy pass the test even when screwing up the parking.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3537 posts
231 upvotes
Scarborough
I did the G test twice, I find that it all depends on the examiner.....
Oct 11, 2004
294 posts
Toronto
bluetroll wrote:remember

CHECK YOUR BLINDSPOT!!! MAKE IT OBVIOUS!!!
Ditto. Exaggerate every motion. You'll look like an idiot, but at least you'll pass.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2004
1688 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
over exxagerate loooking around, like when u have a green still look both ways when mergiing on the highway be doing at least 95, dont go over 100, when exiting stay at a good speed and dont get nervous
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
3809 posts
7 upvotes
Carnage wrote:That's wrong. They are only testing you on your driving ability. If the instructor feels that you're a safe and compitent driver then you pass. the parallel park means nothing.

I butchered my parallel park. I'm talking like 6 feet from the curb, no where close. And I still passed.

Also reverse parking wasn't even on my G test unlike the G2 test.

You can quite easiliy pass the test even when screwing up the parking.
I lucked out with my G2 and G...didn't do reverse or parallel on either exam :cheesygri

I agree with what people are saying...a lot of it is putting on a "good show" (i.e. making sure they know you're checking your blind spots/mirrors/etc) and also certainly don't want to be taking any chances with speeding. If you're normally a good, safe driver than it's no big thing :cool:
i think this line's mostly filler
Jan 15, 2005
474 posts
North Vancouver
I failed a G test about two months ago...and I can't stress this enough, PUT ON A SHOW, like everyone has been saying. You could be checking your blind spots but if the examiner doesn't see it you'll fail...that's what happened to me.

Try not to be nervous either...I was taking the test the day my liscence was becoming expired...so was a little shaky, haha. Now my last chance is this friday.

Good luck.
[OP]
Sep 12, 2004
516 posts
4 upvotes
North York, Toronto
Is Victoria park the place to do it? I heard Downsview is a big NO!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
5799 posts
419 upvotes
Morningside is one of the easiest places to do it although i failed my G2 there.
But lots of people pass and the test is on the road and pretty straight forward.
Blind spot, merging and changing lanes on the highway and parallel parking plus reversing and did i mention blind spot. You have to emphasise your blind spot as some of the examiners pretend not to see you do it.

They are also looking for alertness and awareness on the road of signs pedestrians other cars etc so be diligent and pay attention to details like speed, use your turn signals when changing lanes and turning into streets halting to make parallel park, reversing etc etc. Good Luck.
× < >