• May 27th, 2017 10:23 am
[OP]
May 26, 2012
4 posts
6 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

G road test in Oakville - Passed!!

Hello All,
I have attempted the G road test in Oakville, ON very recently and just want to share my experience which might be useful for the readers here.

Pre-test -
I arrived 30 mins before the scheduled time, I was asked to wait in my car in the parking lot.
The examiner was a nice and kind lady in mid 50s who introduced herself, checked the electronic signals and the brake in the car are working.
She told that I am not allowed to use mobile phone or any other electronic devices in the car (which I read as backup camera, parking assistant, GPS etc)
She asked me to sign a form stating the number of times I drove on 400 series highway with average km/trip.
She explained that she expects me to drive safely following her instructions and will never ask me to violate any rules hence no tricks during the test, during lane changes in the highway if I feel that it might be risky then advised not to attempt it, continue in the same lane and wait for further instructions

Route -
While exiting the drive test centre, turn left on the Cornwall Road (Speed limit is max 60 km/hr)
Turn left on Ford Drive
Turn right on Sheridan garden drive (Do a lane change checking mirrors and blind spot and turn second lights on Sheridan garden dr)
Turn left on Gable drive into the residential , where I was tested for the following - Emergency road side stop, Parallel Parking, 3 point turn (hitting the curb will be a fail), Stop sign at 4-way intersection, Stop sign with a line/ without line. (Speed limit is 40 km/hr)
Turn left on Kingsway Dr and right on Ford Dr (you are allowed to take a right turn on red signal here, so do not stop and wait for signals)
Take the QEW towards Hamilton (Entry ramp has 30 km/hr sign, so slow down and lucky if you are not impeding any traffic. Also merge smoothly, speed up on time)
Lane changes are tested. Eyes on mirrors every 5-8 secs, Blind spot checks by turning your head literally while doing lane changes
Exit at Trafalgar Road, keep the car in the middle lane turning left
Do a lane change to the right and enter the highway QEW towards Toronto.
Exit at Royal Windsor Dr, maintain speed at 80 km/hr till you see the sign board max 60 km/hr begins (this is not an uniform road, so you may want to try driving smoothly which is also a minor mistake)
Turn right at Ford Dr
Turn right at Cornwall Road and back to the Drive test centre.

And those golden words - Congratulations you have passed the test!!

Things to know -
A definite fail could be because of the following: Preventable collision, Dangerous action, Traffic Law violation, Inadequate skills to complete test, Too many driving errors.
Also too many minor errors will result in fail
Do not be nervous, listen and drive with caution

Good luck!!
57 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11969 posts
1823 upvotes
kewlchap wrote: Hello All,
I have attempted the G road test in Oakville, ON very recently and just want to share my experience which might be useful for the readers here.

Pre-test -
I arrived 30 mins before the scheduled time, I was asked to wait in my car in the parking lot.
The examiner was a nice and kind lady in mid 50s who introduced herself, checked the electronic signals and the brake in the car are working.
She told that I am not allowed to use mobile phone or any other electronic devices in the car (which I read as backup camera, parking assistant, GPS etc)
She asked me to sign a form stating the number of times I drove on 400 series highway with average km/trip.
She explained that she expects me to drive safely following her instructions and will never ask me to violate any rules hence no tricks during the test, during lane changes in the highway if I feel that it might be risky then advised not to attempt it, continue in the same lane and wait for further instructions

Route -
While exiting the drive test centre, turn left on the Cornwall Road (Speed limit is max 60 km/hr)
Turn left on Ford Drive
Turn right on Sheridan garden drive (Do a lane change checking mirrors and blind spot and turn second lights on Sheridan garden dr)
Turn left on Gable drive into the residential , where I was tested for the following - Emergency road side stop, Parallel Parking, 3 point turn (hitting the curb will be a fail), Stop sign at 4-way intersection, Stop sign with a line/ without line. (Speed limit is 40 km/hr)
Turn left on Kingsway Dr and right on Ford Dr (you are allowed to take a right turn on red signal here, so do not stop and wait for signals)
Take the QEW towards Hamilton (Entry ramp has 30 km/hr sign, so slow down and lucky if you are not impeding any traffic. Also merge smoothly, speed up on time)
Lane changes are tested. Eyes on mirrors every 5-8 secs, Blind spot checks by turning your head literally while doing lane changes
Exit at Trafalgar Road, keep the car in the middle lane turning left
Do a lane change to the right and enter the highway QEW towards Toronto.
Exit at Royal Windsor Dr, maintain speed at 80 km/hr till you see the sign board max 60 km/hr begins (this is not an uniform road, so you may want to try driving smoothly which is also a minor mistake)
Turn right at Ford Dr
Turn right at Cornwall Road and back to the Drive test centre.

And those golden words - Congratulations you have passed the test!!

Things to know -
A definite fail could be because of the following: Preventable collision, Dangerous action, Traffic Law violation, Inadequate skills to complete test, Too many driving errors.
Also too many minor errors will result in fail
Do not be nervous, listen and drive with caution

Good luck!!

THanks
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8427 posts
1180 upvotes
Ontario
good job! now let your insurance company know as you should get the Graduated lic discount :)
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1207 posts
172 upvotes
Ottawa
I just passed mine too yesterday at Walkley in Ottawa!
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
245 upvotes
Bump, do they really make you go on the highway twice and also do a parallel turn + 3 point turn + roadside stop within the same test at Oakville?

Thinking about doing my test in either nearby Oakville or go to Guelph where everyone is telling me to and looking at google maps, this Oakville route seems a lot longer.
Apr 10, 2013
1 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I've just passed my G road test in Oakville too. Thank you very much for your note. That's really helpful. In mine, instead of emergency stop, I was asked to do up hill and down hill parking, and parallel parking a very big and long van, not a small car that I practice, but I still did perfect. Can't imagine I could do it. I was lucky. The weather is bad: raining and ice pellets.
Oct 23, 2013
1 posts
Thanks kewlchap. Its v kind of you to take the time to help others. Woohoo!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1342 posts
328 upvotes
Umm FYI the Oakville test centre is closed, probably moved somewhere ... but I see cars pulling up daily into the closed off lot.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25212 posts
5465 upvotes
Congratulations! You've passed one of the easiest driving tests in the first world, lol. You may not have had to know a thing about a vehicle to pass; not a thing about the specific vehicle you're driving or its systems; nor anything about driving beyond go/stop/obey speed limit/parallel park; but hey enjoy your free run of the roads now that you've passed!

I'm actually shocked they inform you you're not allowed to use electronic devices like cellphones. IMO they shouldn't do that at all. What they should do is let people take the test and then if they're really that dumb as to take out their phone and have a conversation or start texting, then bam it's a fail for them! I mean do they explain every other rule of the road to you before you take the test or what? No need to tell you something you should already know, that's why it's a test. Or so they call it :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2871 posts
632 upvotes
LONDON
Nettles wrote: Bump, do they really make you go on the highway twice and also do a parallel turn + 3 point turn + roadside stop within the same test at Oakville?

Thinking about doing my test in either nearby Oakville or go to Guelph where everyone is telling me to and looking at google maps, this Oakville route seems a lot longer.
Did mine in London, I had to go on the hwy twice, merge from 401 to 402, then merge back again on the way back to the test center. Did the usual 3 point turn etc after exiting the hwy the first time.
Feb 16, 2011
1 posts
3 upvotes
sombie86 wrote: Oakville New route any one please.
Attempted the G test from the new location but failed in my first attempt! Here is a snapshot of the route-

1. Exit the centre and drive west of Wyrecorft road towards Bronte. The speed limit is 50km/hr
2. Drive North on Bronte Rd towards Upper Middle Rd. Speed limit is 60 km/hr
3. Take a right on Upper Middle Rd towards Grand Oak Trail. The speed I believe was 50 here. You are asked to contantly change lanes from right to left and back to right.
4. Take a left on G.Oak. There is a school zone here and the speed is 40 km/hr. Be careful as I saw a kid running across the road not too far from my approach :-0
5. You are taken to a residential area where you are tested on 3-point, parallel parking etc. Make sure you check your rear view and blind spot when pulling over(Cant believe I messed up on this!!> :( )
6. Exit to Bronte and merge to QEW-Eastbound. The entry speed for entering the ramp is 40km/hr. Make sure you slow down. Traffic merging speed is 100km/hr. This is where I slowed down and was an automatic failure according to the examiner
7. Change lanes to left and back to right and take the next exit towards Burloak Dr. The exit speed is 60 km/hr.
8. Take the exit back to QEW-West. The ramp speed is 30km/hr. Merge with the traffic at 100km/hr and then switch lanes again from righ to left and back to right. Make sure you follow all the rules for changing lanes safely. Exit to Bronte Rd.
9. Take left on Wyrecroft and back to the Drive Test centre with a front park.

Things to look for:

1. Speed limits. The speed limits change every 2-3 mins so make sure you keep an eye on that.
2. Merge with the traffic at the indicated speed. Although this advise seem generic, it is the most common reason people fail in the G test

I wouldn't say its a hard location once you have a quick scan of the route.

PS- I did get distracted since my examiner was hot :razz: