Automotive

G road test at walkley centre, ottawa

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2023 12:35 am
Tags:
None
Jun 8, 2016
1 posts
I went to walkely yesterday. Didn't have an appointment. Told them I want to be on stand by. Waited like 4 hours. Meantime, I've never driven the route before so was a bit nervous. I have 13 years of international driving but yes still I was nervous. I checked online and came across this thread. Gave me a lot peace reading the details you guys shared.

I couldn't try out the route cuz I was on standby. This very laid back test instructor came to me. Very friendly dude. Got in, as soon as he got in I turned off my phone he really liked that and said I appreciate it.

We did the parking in the back. I hit the curb in the parrell parking which was my first error. Then we heading out on walkely and it was the same route that desistyle87 shared 8 years ago. I was asked to do lane changes like 5 times. The instructor was very chill.

I made a mistake with the emergency parking then he asked how would you show the cars around you that you have an issue with you car so I out on the hazard lights.

After the mistake I felt bad and sort of became nervous. But got my stuff together quick.

The test was like 15 minutes.

By the end I had 8 errors and I passed.

Even though I didn't do the route, reading this thread helped 10000 times. Which is why I will be making a YouTube video of the route. I'll share the link once it's done. Thanks guys and gals. Good luck.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Baderj wrote: I went to walkely yesterday. Didn't have an appointment. Told them I want to be on stand by. Waited like 4 hours. Meantime, I've never driven the route before so was a bit nervous. I have 13 years of international driving but yes still I was nervous. I checked online and came across this thread. Gave me a lot peace reading the details you guys shared.

I couldn't try out the route cuz I was on standby. This very laid back test instructor came to me. Very friendly dude. Got in, as soon as he got in I turned off my phone he really liked that and said I appreciate it.

We did the parking in the back. I hit the curb in the parrell parking which was my first error. Then we heading out on walkely and it was the same route that desistyle87 shared 8 years ago. I was asked to do lane changes like 5 times. The instructor was very chill.

I made a mistake with the emergency parking then he asked how would you show the cars around you that you have an issue with you car so I out on the hazard lights.

After the mistake I felt bad and sort of became nervous. But got my stuff together quick.

Even though I didn't do the route, reading this thread helped 10000 times. Which is why I will be making a YouTube video of the route. I'll share the link once it's done. Thanks guys and gals. Good luck.
Congrats and lots of people will appreciate the video of the route.
Feb 16, 2016
937 posts
494 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
Baderj wrote: I went to walkely yesterday. Didn't have an appointment. Told them I want to be on stand by. Waited like 4 hours. Meantime, I've never driven the route before so was a bit nervous. I have 13 years of international driving but yes still I was nervous. I checked online and came across this thread. Gave me a lot peace reading the details you guys shared.

I'm glad you passed and that the instructor was friendly. I remember my instructor back in 2004 was not friendly at all and was even mean. I was trying to have friendly conversations with him to help me cope with the stress and the bastard was outright mean and didn't want to talk. I suppose he didn't like his job...although I did my test in Hawkesbury, not in Ottawa. That was for my G2... Wish I had a friendly instructor!
Feb 16, 2013
410 posts
711 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I had my test today and I can confirm that even after 8 years, it is the exact same route. Extremely easy test compared to Toronto. Parkway is less busy than Islington road in Toronto...
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
2043 posts
793 upvotes
Ottawa
I just did the test and it was exactly as desistyle87 described. However, as I was waiting for the test I saw some people go right out of the driving centre. I assume they did the route described by syed90.
May 30, 2017
1 posts
Hey I had my road test in french at walkley and it was pretty easy like the young guy was so nice he first asked me to go in the back of the parking after field to do 3 point turn and then behind the rock parallel parking. After that we got out on walkley on the right so i didnt had to go on the mediane and then we drove around like in a little neighberhood for like 3 minutes and he then asked me a up hill parking. then we got out and did an other neighborhood for 3 4 minutes then we went back to walkley didnt have to go on the median neither. He ask me to park in the back and he told me congratulation Grinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4103 posts
269 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Kameelaperez wrote: Hey I had my road test in french at walkley and it was pretty easy like the young guy was so nice he first asked me to go in the back of the parking after field to do 3 point turn and then behind the rock parallel parking. After that we got out on walkley on the right so i didnt had to go on the mediane and then we drove around like in a little neighberhood for like 3 minutes and he then asked me a up hill parking. then we got out and did an other neighborhood for 3 4 minutes then we went back to walkley didnt have to go on the median neither. He ask me to park in the back and he told me congratulation Grinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Congrats. :)

That is because you did the G2 test, and the route they use is different from the G road test.
Traveling 😁
Dec 12, 2017
1 posts
Thank you for your info and advice. I passed the G road test after doing 3 rounds following your instructions. You are very helpful! May your tribe increase!
Nov 14, 2018
4 posts
desistyle87 wrote: I think the OP knows this, but for the record this is the route for the Walkley G-Test location.

-REVERSE PARK into the area where they tell you to with the posts before the test begins. Even experienced drivers can mess up reversing out of those parking spots the way that parking lot is designed.
-Bring you into that back fenced off area to parallel park between cement blocks and 3-point turn
-go towards the exit and turn left onto Walkley Rd. (Trick here being 1. the sidewalk and 2. pull up straight onto the center divider before merging into traffic)
-Continue down Walkley, make sure you switch to the right lane as soon as safely possible, they may or may not have you do a lane change at this point.
-Upon crossing Bank St. they will tell you to get on the Airport Parkway South, change lanes as soon as possible as the entrance to parkway is on the left.
-My driving instructor told me way back when that you should try and be at about 50km/h by the "No Littering" sign and merge at 80. Be really, really careful on the merge... you can see really far back when coming down the ramp so use that to your advantage and time your approach with a gap in traffic.
-They will then tell you to get off at Hunt Club and go right... watch the stop sign there, the positioning of the stop line is tricky
-If you didn't do a lane change on Walkley, they'll have you do it on Hunt Club either now or on the way back.
-They will have you turn right on any one of the next 3 streets: Paul Anka, McCarthy, or Uplands. In these residential neighborhoods they will have you do your uphill/downhill/emergency stops. They will then guide you out back to Hunt Club and take a left back towards the Parkway. Again, when you turn go to the left lane, but then immediately when possible go to the right.
-They will tell you to go to the Airport Parkway North (some may say Downtown). This is a weird intersection, practice it a few times beforehand.
-They will tell you to get off at Walkley, be careful of the the Transitway as buses have right of way and may be barreling up the ramp next to you and try and merge. Take a right on Walkley, stay to the right
-Turn right back into the DriveTest facility
-They'll make you park out back.
*** At some point, they'll randomly turn on your radio or make a noise or something to see how "jumpy" you are behind the wheel and how you react. Usually, it's at some point on the Airport Parkway but it can happen at any time.

I have helped atleast 10-15 people pass their test at this location. It's easy enough if you practice the route and know the tricks. 99.9% of the time, this will be the route. For the love of god DO NOT TELL THEM YOU KNOW THIS! Also, DO NOT LET THEM KNOW YOU PRACTICED THIS EXACT ROUTE!. They have the discretion to change the route if they like, and they have in the past when my dumbass friend told them he "Did the route like 20 times beforehand".

As for the OPs exact question, when getting off the Airport Parkway do not start slowing down until you are in the off-ramp lane. At that point, there is a stop sign at the end speed is almost irrelevant as you need to stop right at the end. As for when you merge on to the Parkway from Walkley, like I said in my route summary above... try and be at about 50km/h by the red/white "No Littering" sign and merge at 80km/h or close to it, speed isn't as important as how little you interfere with traffic already on the parkway. Traffic will be going 80+ so try and merge accordingly, but more importantly look for a gap in traffic in which you can fit into from a distance and time your approach accordingly. Basically the same thing on the way back, but the onramp doesn't give you nearly enough of a view of the road ahead, but there should be minimal Northbound traffic during the daytime so its a much easier merge. Just be careful of the "two ramps combining", I forget who yields to who but it's important.
Thank you so much desistyle87. I confirm even after more than 12 years (today Nov 17th, 2018), its the same route for G test. One exception was, beginning of the test, they take you to the back fence where you will have to do three-point turn and parallel parking (with the cement block). Please do not panic, sleep well before the road test day, have respect on your driving and be confident. Also, please show them you are observing in every intersection, mirror check, blind spot check in every 5 seconds. My examiner was a nice old man named John. I passed here in the first attempt. Never did three-point turn and parallel parking in the back area of drive test centre. But ofc followed the thread here which made me understand what to expect. Thank you very much to you all and special thanks to desistyle87!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
desistyle87 wrote: I think the OP knows this, but for the record this is the route for the Walkley G-Test location...

For the love of god DO NOT TELL THEM YOU KNOW THIS! Also, DO NOT LET THEM KNOW YOU PRACTICED THIS EXACT ROUTE!. They have the discretion to change the route if they like, and they have in the past when my dumbass friend told them he "Did the route like 20 times beforehand".
I'm gonna email them this thread so that lousy drivers can't keep cheating.
Oct 23, 2009
17 posts
4 upvotes
Hey guys,

One question about the parallel parking at Walkley. I have no trouble parallel parking but I am used to parking behind cars. The way I reverse depends on the size of the car (smaller, average, or larger sized car). With the average car, I line up the middle of the passenger side window with the license plate of the car I'm parking behind of, with smaller cars, I line up slightly before the middle of the license plate, and so forth. So how does this change with the cement block?
Nov 14, 2018
4 posts
bih25 wrote: Hey guys,

One question about the parallel parking at Walkley. I have no trouble parallel parking but I am used to parking behind cars. The way I reverse depends on the size of the car (smaller, average, or larger sized car). With the average car, I line up the middle of the passenger side window with the license plate of the car I'm parking behind of, with smaller cars, I line up slightly before the middle of the license plate, and so forth. So how does this change with the cement block?
Hi, please don't worry too much about this. I never had to do this weird type parallel parking with cement block (yellow colour) before but in the test time, just do the basic the way you always do. There is a yellow stick so that should be your measurement for a car's back light (left back light). So you'll have to stop when your car's front right mirror (passenger's side) comes to this yellow stick. Then turn the wheel all the way to left until it locks and then reverse. Please just follow the basic of your skill for parallel parking. You can do it this way and pass. Please let me know if you would have more questions. Good luck!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Man, this thread is just continuing to fill the roads of the GTA with the worlds shittiest drivers.

How many more threads about needing dashcams are we going to see because of this?

:facepalm:
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2017
1032 posts
1820 upvotes
Stop cheating on your test and learn how to drive properly.
Aug 9, 2017
12 posts
5 upvotes
Quick question: one of my friends is going for her G and I was checking out the route this morning and noticed that when you get off airport parkway at walkley the right hand turn is blind since you can’t see traffic coming on the left. Now if you decide to creep up and then a car is coming you end up stopping in the cross walk and it’s a fail. So what are you to do? If you wait I don’t believe there is a timer and it also upsets people behind you.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4103 posts
269 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Warning, I know this thread is old —> examiners now take people right on Walkley down to the 417, down an exit and then back on the highway to Walkley then left into the drive test. There is an obnoxious male examiner that encourages people to speed.
Traveling 😁

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)