Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1348 posts
58 upvotes

g2 license extension

I just got my g2 like in june but my license expires in March. My driving instructor told me that I can pay $75 within 6 months of my license expiring and it would be extended for 5 yrs more. Today I went to one of those licensing offices and asked the guy and he told me when I book my g test that it would be extended. He then went on about my license having reached 5 yrs and that I can't do nothing about it and that I have to pass or start all over again and at that point I was lost. I'm confused as my liciense expires in march 09 and so it wouldn't be a yr later which is the requirement of when you can take your g test.

So my question is can my license be extended or am I screwed and have to start all over again?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3877 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
Your G2 license can't be extended upon its expiration date, if you can't pass the G road test by then you have to start all over again. From G1 written test but you can take the road test anytime no 8 months or 1 year waiting time.

I think your driving instructor say pay $75 for the G road test.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1335 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
It depends on when you are eligible to take your G2 Exit Test. If that date is after your expiry date, then you should be able to extend your G2 licence for another 5 years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1348 posts
58 upvotes
Broli's Mom wrote:
Aug 29th, 2008 7:53 pm
It depends on when you are eligible to take your G2 Exit Test. If that date is after your expiry date, then you should be able to extend your G2 licence for another 5 years.
Its after my expiry date. I got my g2 like in the middle of june 08 and my license expires in mid march 09.
Jul 27, 2005
509 posts
10 upvotes
I got my G1 in Jan 2002 but I was so scared of driving that I was finally coaxed to drive by 2006. I passed my G2 in Nov 2006 but I had to pay $75, which I thought was an advance payment for my G test.

Later when I registered for my G test I was asked to pay another $75. So thats when I found out that since my G1 was expiring so soon and my G2 hard copy wouldn't arrive till after the expiry date I had to paid that $75 for the extension of my G1. Even though I had the temp G2 valid for 4 months. Guess plastic counts paper doesn't!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3877 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
HughG wrote:
Aug 30th, 2008 6:34 pm
how long after you get your g2 can you do your G test ?

I think one year after you pass G2.
Jul 27, 2005
509 posts
10 upvotes
HughG wrote:
Aug 30th, 2008 6:34 pm
how long after you get your g2 can you do your G test ?
I also believe its 8 months with an approved driving institution certificate and 12 months without.
Apr 30, 2008
426 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
wolf30 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2008 6:01 pm
I just got my g2 like in june but my license expires in March.
If you had less than a year till your license expires at the time of getting G2, they should have offered you to renew your license. The $75 fee is licensing fee for 5 years, nothing to do with test taking. They would also need to check your vision again before renewing. Why they didn't offer you that is beyond me, maybe they just didn't notice. Most likely you will have to go for another G2 test to renew your current license before you are able to go for full G.

I suggest you call DriveTest and verify what exactly you need to do to keep your license in good standing without doing anything or paying for anything you don't need.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1335 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
ispiratica wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2008 3:18 am
I also believe its 8 months with an approved driving institution certificate and 12 months without.
No, currently the 4 month credit only allows you to take your G1 exit test (to obtain your G2 licence) in 8 months instead of 1 year.
wolf30 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2008 8:05 pm
Its after my expiry date. I got my g2 like in the middle of june 08 and my license expires in mid march 09.
Without knowing all of your details, it sounds to me like you should be eligible to renew your G2 licence.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8008 posts
648 upvotes
Toronto
Here's the way it works as far as I know and worked for me and my friends.

If you request your G test before your G2 expires, your G2 will only be temporarily extended to the date of your G test.

In other words, your G test basically becomes D-Day.. Judgement Day.

If you fail your G test, you have to start over at your G1. You can't just pay 75$ and extend your G2 for another 5 years.

The G2 test should be included in your initial charge when you wrote your G1 written exam. Your G test has to be paid for separately.

Example:

Your G2 expires on September 11, 2008. Your G test is in November 1 2008 (G test date). You will get a extension of your G2 until November 1, 2008 IF you booked your G test before your G2 expires on Sept 11, 2008. If you fail, you have to go back to G1.

I know because the examiner noticed that I would lose my G2 if I failed, so cut me a break and allowed me to pass, which he even specifically mentioned "hmm, I see your license will expire today if you don't pass"
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2008
4077 posts
447 upvotes
Sorry to bump this.

Lets say my G2 expires September 9th but my drive test date is September 29th. Do I have to go to the Licensing office and get a temporary license or is it assumed that my license is extended until my date?

I have looked all over and can't get a concrete answer.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1335 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
JayLove06 wrote:
Sep 1st, 2012 8:17 am
Sorry to bump this.

Lets say my G2 expires September 9th but my drive test date is September 29th. Do I have to go to the Licensing office and get a temporary license or is it assumed that my license is extended until my date?

I have looked all over and can't get a concrete answer.
You have to go to the office, probably the DriveTest Centre, to get your extension.
Feb 13, 2009
329 posts
47 upvotes
Broli's Mom wrote:
Sep 1st, 2012 8:42 am
You have to go to the office, probably the DriveTest Centre, to get your extension.
Yes, I can confirm this as i have just got off the phone with a DriveTest CSR.

My G2 was issued in March of this year and my actual license expires in December of this year.

Now, the rule is that you MUST have your G2 for 1 full year from the date it was issued, before you can book/go for your full G (G2 exit) road test. So in this case, I am not elegible to take my G road test until March of next year.

Being that my license expires before a year is up with a G2, I must go to a DriveTest center and pay a $75 fee in order to extend my license so that i am elegible to take the G test.

The person on the phone inquired as to why i was not charged this fee, so i am assuming that this is usually an automatic procedure for people in this situation. That said, they also stated that i can just go in and have it done. Just so long as you do it before the current expiry date on your license.

This process will defer you from having to start from scratch. The bonus about this method is that it extends your license for another 5 years rather than just up until a year after your G2 was issued.

Can't beat that really. I'm actually quite suprised that they do it this way.

Oh well, now i have time to save for a decent car. :)
Jul 8, 2015
1 posts
Pottertons wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2012 11:32 am
Yes, I can confirm this as i have just got off the phone with a DriveTest CSR.

My G2 was issued in March of this year and my actual license expires in December of this year.

Now, the rule is that you MUST have your G2 for 1 full year from the date it was issued, before you can book/go for your full G (G2 exit) road test. So in this case, I am not elegible to take my G road test until March of next year.

Being that my license expires before a year is up with a G2, I must go to a DriveTest center and pay a $75 fee in order to extend my license so that i am elegible to take the G test.

The person on the phone inquired as to why i was not charged this fee, so i am assuming that this is usually an automatic procedure for people in this situation. That said, they also stated that i can just go in and have it done. Just so long as you do it before the current expiry date on your license.

This process will defer you from having to start from scratch. The bonus about this method is that it extends your license for another 5 years rather than just up until a year after your G2 was issued.

Can't beat that really. I'm actually quite suprised that they do it this way.

Oh well, now i have time to save for a decent car. :)
There is a lack of transparency and flexibility. So you get your g2 license and if it's slightly just before your fourth year you probably only get one shot at your second road test, if you fail, yes you need to start over. All that work has made your g2 Equal to the old 365 temp licence. That part is horrible and not just since there is no transparency.
× < >