Page 1 of 1

G2 road test in Oakville - any tips?

Posted: Oct 4th, 2010 3:46 pm
by MarcusXP
Going to take my G2 road test in Oakville this Thursday.
I would appreciate any tips you may have ... I really need to pass this test, as I have pretty long commute to work and I need to use the car I just bought.
I'm not a bad driver, I had driver's license before (in Europe) and I have M2 already, but of course some advices won't hurt :)

thanks, guys!

Re: G2 road test in Oakville - any tips?

Posted: Oct 4th, 2010 4:12 pm
by dasaylay
When exiting the test centre, there is a stop sign before you turn right to get onto the road. Make sure you don't blow right by it. Also, there's a sidewalk right at the entrance; don't forget to stop before it just incase they try to nitpick. There's no stop sign at the exit, but they may find an excuse to fail you.

The course is pretty simple, you just go down the main road and into a residential area to do your standard 3 point turns, parallel parking, uphill/downhill parks. When you are checking your mirrors, just exaggerate by turning your head rather than glancing at your side and rear view mirrors. Other than keeping your speed at the limit and distances between cars in front of you, the rest is very easy.

I did both my G1 and G2 exit tests at Oakville and each test was about 10 minutes. I passed on my first attempts.

Good luck!

p.s. I noticed you're from Europe where there are manuals are the preferred transmissions. I did my test in an auto, but I believe on your tests, they expect you to downshift through each gear as you come to a stop. Don't cruise in neutral to a final stop and just rev match your downshifts so the instructor won't have anything to complain about :)

Posted: Oct 4th, 2010 4:21 pm
by MarcusXP
Thanks for the tips, they are really good!
I will be driving an automatic car, so I won't have to worry about shifting gears :)
Most likely I will go there 1-2hrs before the exam and drive around so I get familiar with the area. That should help as well..

Posted: Oct 12th, 2010 10:16 am
by MarcusXP
Just wanted to thank you guys for the tips, and let you know that I passed the test.
I was a bit nervous before the test, but after I got in the car, everything was fine, I was very calm and focused. ;)