• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2013 10:14 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 11, 2012
64 posts
1 upvote

Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean

So to start off, I'm totally new to android & it's my first phone and I plan on getting galaxy nexus. I want the galaxy nexus to be updated with Jelly Bean. I'm thinking about getting the phone with Fido. The problem is, do the phones come already updated with Jelly Bean or do I need to update it manually? According to this post I found on the Fido forums, http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumto ... 174/page/2 , the Jelly Bean update is not readily available to them. So do the carriers play a part in the updates? I've done some research, there seems to be yakjuux and yakiju build, which one would you recommend? As well, is it recommended to root your phone? Is there any online stores in which I could buy the Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean? The google play site aren't selling it for now.
826 replies
Jun 15, 2011
37820 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ChanceOfThunder wrote:
Jul 21st, 2012 12:25 am
So to start off, I'm totally new to android & it's my first phone and I plan on getting galaxy nexus. I want the galaxy nexus to be updated with Jelly Bean. I'm thinking about getting the phone with Fido. The problem is, do the phones come already updated with Jelly Bean or do I need to update it manually? According to this post I found on the Fido forums, http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumto ... 174/page/2 , the Jelly Bean update is not readily available to them. So do the carriers play a part in the updates? I've done some research, there seems to be yakjuux and yakiju build, which one would you recommend? As well, is it recommended to root your phone? Is there any online stores in which I could buy the Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean? The google play site aren't selling it for now.
The Canadian versions don't come with JB installed. You need to manually update it. This is done by flashing your phone to yakju from the image found on Google. Yakju is better as Google updates the phone and is the first to receive updates. Yakjuux phones are updated from Samsung and are behind. Carriers do not play a role in software updates for ANY Nexus phone.

That being said rooting is an option. It gives you super user or administrative access to other programs and tweaks of your phone. Think System Administrator on Windows vs Regular user accounts.

Your best bet would be to check the classifieds to find LNIB (Like New in box) Galaxy Nexus devices with Jelly Bean as far as I know.

By the way, you don't need to root the phone in order to get JB officially via the OTA method. You just need to unlock your bootloader and flash the image of yakju ICS 4.0.4

We will come to that in depth once you understand more and buy the phone.

US is the only place with Yakju builds of the phone.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Jul 11, 2012
64 posts
1 upvote
^Thank you. Just to confirm, if I buy the galaxy nexus from Fido with the Yakijuux build, I can change to Yakju? Would you recommend me getting HTC One S or Galaxy Nexus from Fido? And lastly seeing as you have the SGS III and Galaxy Nexus, how do you find the SGS III compared to galaxy nexus?
Aug 20, 2009
886 posts
114 upvotes
There's no need to flash to specific builds of ICS to get JB. I just bought a nexus from Fido and whatever stock ICS it came with I updated to JB in less than 10 mins. No funky hacking and that stuff. Use the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit (to unlock, root, and install recovery):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1614827
Warning: Hereinabove may contain traces of irony and/or sarcasm!
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
1557 posts
72 upvotes
linux2k wrote:
Jul 21st, 2012 12:25 pm
There's no need to flash to specific builds of ICS to get JB. I just bought a nexus from Fido and whatever stock ICS it came with I updated to JB in less than 10 mins. No funky hacking and that stuff. Use the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit (to unlock, root, and install recovery):

Does using that toolkit change the build of the phone to yakju as well?
Jun 15, 2011
37820 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ChanceOfThunder wrote:
Jul 21st, 2012 11:54 am
^Thank you. Just to confirm, if I buy the galaxy nexus from Fido with the Yakijuux build, I can change to Yakju? Would you recommend me getting HTC One S or Galaxy Nexus from Fido? And lastly seeing as you have the SGS III and Galaxy Nexus, how do you find the SGS III compared to galaxy nexus?
You're most welcome. Yes you can change from yakjuux to yakju with any Canadian version of the phone. The HTC One S is a nice phone, but the thing is that, its not a "pure" Google Vanilla Android phone. It gets updates from HTC/Carrier vs from Google directly. So you'd have to wait a few months before you can get any software update. Plus the carrier will slap bloatware on the phone which you can remove after rooting. Its a pain though for new users. Not to mention that the phone is locked to Fido specifically but the Galaxy Nexus is factory unlocked and you can even use it in the T Mobile in the US if you'd like.

Honestly, I'd choose the Galaxy Nexus vs the HTC One S just because of timely updates, factory unlocked, no bloatware and a pure vanilla Android experience.

As for the SGS III vs the GN, the S3 is definitely a step from the Galaxy Nexus in terms of screen size, camera quality and speediness due to the faster CPU and more RAM. However, again its carrier locked, carrier bloatware, Samsung Touch Wiz UI, all which can be avoided via installing a Custom ROM, etc. To be honest, I am using the Galaxy Nexus more than the S3 just because of the JB update the GN had. I am sure once the JB update hits the S3, I'll be on the S3 like there's no tomorrow. Okay that came out wrong there haha.
linux2k wrote:
Jul 21st, 2012 12:25 pm

Ah you are one of the few and I am sure you had the yakjuux. There are no reports of yakjuux users getting official updates of JB for the Galaxy Nexus. The Nexus S yes as its receiving updates for JB via Mobilicity, Wind, Rogers and including Fido.

Maybe you were lucky to have received the JB update via the yakjuux build.
SuJu wrote:
Jul 21st, 2012 2:08 pm
Does using that toolkit change the build of the phone to yakju as well?
Nope. The toolkit does not change the build of the phone from yakjuux to yakju. You have to flash the ROM/image from Google itself in order to get to yakju. In which case you select the image when you click "flash" from the toolkit.
Jul 11, 2012
64 posts
1 upvote
I've always been hesitant to buy stuff from ebay & amazon, as the products are sold by people, and not companies. Should I buy the phone from amazon or Expansys? Expansys seems to have faster delivery, and I feel more comfortable buying from a company. The amazon listing states that the phone is from google IO which means it would contain jelly bean I presume. Who should I buy it from? Or is there anywhere cheaper, I don't want to buy it from newegg.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZE ... =&v=glance
http://www.expansys.ca/google-nexus-pri ... gb-224148/
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
1557 posts
72 upvotes
ChanceOfThunder wrote:
Jul 21st, 2012 9:05 pm
I've always been hesitant to buy stuff from ebay & amazon, as the products are sold by people, and not companies. Should I buy the phone from amazon or Expansys? Expansys seems to have faster delivery, and I feel more comfortable buying from a company. The amazon listing states that the phone is from google IO which means it would contain jelly bean I presume. Who should I buy it from? Or is there anywhere cheaper, I don't want to buy it from newegg.
I've never used canadagsm.com or snatraders.com personally (they are both the same company), but users of RFD have said bad things about them, however, they do have a store in the GTA so you can go check it out. They sell it for $375 plus tax, but I talked to them and they told me they would give it for $400 tax included.
Jun 15, 2011
37820 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ChanceOfThunder wrote:
Jul 21st, 2012 9:05 pm
Well if you buy the phone with Expansys, for warranty purposes you can always deal with them I think (never have bought a phone from them before). Not sure about Amazon and how their warranty procedure works. Needless to say, yes the Amazon one (based on the link you provided) is the Google I/O edition which mean it does come with JB.

My suggestion is a) try to order the US Google Play edition either yourself or through a friend/family in the US or b) Buy one locally from a carrier or classifieds, wait till the official OTA is pushed or just unlock/flash/then update to JB. Really simple procedure but totally up to you.
Jul 11, 2012
64 posts
1 upvote
^Thanks for the help, I think I'm going to order from Expansys, they seem to have a good review in service. Buying from a carrier is gonna cost $500+, as well I'm not really into classifieds, as it is hassle meeting up with people.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14299 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
If you have GPS lock problems then turn off Google Location Services!!!

This applies to 4.1.1!!!

I had a gps issue and I was so frustrated and I've researched this issue for the past 6 hours and I finally found a fix on rootzwiki. I had to blame it on kernels and bad gps.conf files. Nope, not the case. Completely Google's Location Services' fault on JB 4.1.1

The phone could see 10 satellites easily but would never lock on for 20 freaken minutes! This made it INSTANT. OMFG.

Edit: As of July 23rd, Google has restored full GPS functionality while being connected to Google Location Services. You can re-enable it now with no issues.
Jun 15, 2011
37820 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ChanceOfThunder wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2012 12:44 am
^Thanks for the help, I think I'm going to order from Expansys, they seem to have a good review in service. Buying from a carrier is gonna cost $500+, as well I'm not really into classifieds, as it is hassle meeting up with people.
No worries. All the best.
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2012 2:35 am
If you have GPS lock problems then turn off Google Location Services!!!

This applies to 4.1.1!!!

I had a gps issue and I was so frustrated and I've researched this issue for the past 6 hours and I finally found a fix on rootzwiki. I had to blame it on kernels and bad gps.conf files. Nope, not the case. Completely Google's Location Services' fault on JB 4.1.1

The phone could see 10 satellites easily but would never lock on for 20 freaken minutes! This made it INSTANT. OMFG.
Dang. Haven't noticed that all on mine. Plus apparently with Google Location services on it apparently eats up battery too.
Apr 2, 2007
1683 posts
37 upvotes
I just don't know what to say... djemzine He helped me updated the Jelly Bean.. for my Galaxy Nexus, talking on the phone and controlling my PC via online more than a hour
He doesn't give up helping on people, an VERY trusted person with friendly manners. :) 100% recommend for anyone who have issue with their cell phones ! In our society we need more people just like you :)

Once again Thanks djemzine for your hard work ! :)
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes:
[OP]
Jul 11, 2012
64 posts
1 upvote
Well I ended up not buying from Expansys as it came out about $500 after taxes and shipping charges. I'm pretty sure I can find it way cheaper, I'm going to use Kijiji and craigslist to find people locally who are selling it. Sigh, I really want a warranty but I don't want to buy from a carrier. Are there variants for the G-Nexus, I came across GT-19250M and 19250,GT-I9250TSGGEN? What are the differences and which is recommended to buy?
Jun 15, 2011
37820 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
chinese zzz wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2012 5:14 pm
I just don't know what to say... djemzine He helped me updated the Jelly Bean.. for my Galaxy Nexus, talking on the phone and controlling my PC via online more than a hour
He doesn't give up helping on people, an VERY trusted person with friendly manners. :) 100% recommend for anyone who have issue with their cell phones ! In our society we need more people just like you :)

Once again Thanks djemzine for your hard work ! :)
No worries man. Glad to be of help and was happy that we finally resolved it, minus that one hiccup we had with flashing the recovery.img file. It was because for some reason we went into Odin mode. Any how, again you're most welcome.

Thanks for the kind words :)

ChanceOfThunder wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2012 6:03 pm
Well I ended up not buying from Expansys as it came out about $500 after taxes and shipping charges. I'm pretty sure I can find it way cheaper, I'm going to use Kijiji and craigslist to find people locally who are selling it. Sigh, I really want a warranty but I don't want to buy from a carrier. Are there variants for the G-Nexus, I came across GT-19250M and 19250,GT-I9250TSGGEN? What are the differences and which is recommended to buy?
Well you can find it cheaper of course. I'd avoid Craigslist and Kijiji as the first option. Try looking at RFD BST first (Cell Phones & Accessories), then Kijiji. I'd weed out Craigslist for sure. I've seen BNIB going for the $350 mark. As for warranty, just make sure the owner of the phone be it brand new or like new in box (used) can provide the original or copy of the receipt aka proof of purchase for any warranty purpose. Although usually the manufacture requires the serial #/IMEI # but there have been instances where they require the receipt.

As for the different versions, stick to this one - GT-i9250M. That's the one sold in Canada. The rest are either from the US or UK and are 3G, LTE, CDMA versions. Just stick with the GT-i9250M and you should be fine.