• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2013 10:14 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 26, 2012
146 posts
35 upvotes
BRANTFORD
I got the Nexus with Bell in June...if I wait should I be getting this update at any point soon? Are there any downsides to that flashing phone process?
Jun 15, 2011
37816 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
moss27 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2012 8:33 pm
I got the Nexus with Bell in June...if I wait should I be getting this update at any point soon? Are there any downsides to that flashing phone process?
Well there is no sign of updates for Canadian versions running yakjuux. Maybe in a few weeks to a month or so?

There's no downside to unlocking the bootloader and flashing to yakju from Google. Only downside is if you mess up at first and if you're new to it, it might take a while to fix it.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Nov 19, 2010
14299 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2012 9:27 pm
Well there is no sign of updates for Canadian versions running yakjuux. Maybe in a few weeks to a month or so?

There's no downside to unlocking the bootloader and flashing to yakju from Google. Only downside is if you mess up at first and if you're new to it, it might take a while to fix it.
Not really. Its pretty unbrickable so you can take your chances.

Oh and there are only upsides to flashing to yakju or takju.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
Carrier sold Nexus S handsets have JB OTA already available for them, while a newer model is waiting for samsung to give the update.

I find this to be a bit strange. Is google so unorganized or unprepared? Why give samsung the authority of updates for the newer model?
Jun 15, 2011
37816 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
desidealer49 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2012 1:32 pm
Carrier sold Nexus S handsets have JB OTA already available for them, while a newer model is waiting for samsung to give the update.

I find this to be a bit strange. Is google so unorganized or unprepared? Why give samsung the authority of updates for the newer model?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Nexus S sold in Canada is also updated by Samsung vs Google? Needless to say you do have a point that it's strange.
Jul 11, 2012
64 posts
1 upvote
Well my kijiji planned failed, parents don't like the idea of me buying a phone from some stranger. They told me to get it from a local carrier even though it's going to be more expensive. Looking around, it seems Wind is the cheapest without a contract. About $499, I was wondering if I buy it off Wind, would it be unlocked? Do I just remove the sim card and replace it with the sim card of Chatr. I'm still thinking about whether or not galaxy Nexus is the best phone for me. Jellybean will eventually reach HTC One S, so last time lol, HTC One S or G Nexus?
Jun 15, 2011
37816 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ChanceOfThunder wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2012 10:44 pm
Well my kijiji planned failed, parents don't like the idea of me buying a phone from some stranger. They told me to get it from a local carrier even though it's going to be more expensive. Looking around, it seems Wind is the cheapest without a contract. About $499, I was wondering if I buy it off Wind, would it be unlocked? Do I just remove the sim card and replace it with the sim card of Chatr. I'm still thinking about whether or not galaxy Nexus is the best phone for me. Jellybean will eventually reach HTC One S, so last time lol, HTC One S or G Nexus?
First off, that's unfortunate to hear but hey parents always mean the best for their children.

Secondly, when you buy the Wind Galaxy Nexus, it will be unlocked. Reason being is that the phone is factory unlocked as it is. So you're good to go as soon as you get the phone. So its $499 without the Wind tab I take it?

Last but not least, yes JB will reach the One S, but who knows when. It really boils down to your preference. Both phones have no storage expansion, one is factory unlocked, while the other is locked (slight effort + cost to unlock). One has a UI of ICS - HTC Sense whilst Galaxy Nexus is pure Android and no bloatware, other nonsense. The GN gets updates before any other carrier branded phone.

Overall, I prefer the GN to be honest. So again its your decision. To answer your question, G Nexus. If you don't like either phone, you can always return it within a 14 day period or x # of minutes (whichever comes first) and get the other phone.
425 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
You could try explaining to your parents how feedback works on this site as it's not as risky as buying from someone random on craigslist or kijiji.

As for the galaxy nexus vs. one s, you should really try them out for yourself. The GN is a bit bigger, has a higher res screen, nfc and vanilla android (gets updates directly from google) while the one s is smaller and thinner, has a faster processor, better camera and sense (which some people actually prefer). I've had my GN since january and I'd go with the one s because of the faster processor.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2005
2019 posts
64 upvotes
Is there an official JB release for the Galaxy Nexus yet? I've been hesitant to change from yakyuux to yakyu because of losing all the stuff on my phone, but my phone is still stuck on 4.0.1 and it doesn't look like it's going to get any updates anytime soon.

Or should I just change to yakyu 4.0.4 and wait for an official update from Google? Any links or help would be greatly appreciated!
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14299 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
convoluted wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 3:26 am
Is there an official JB release for the Galaxy Nexus yet? I've been hesitant to change from yakyuux to yakyu because of losing all the stuff on my phone, but my phone is still stuck on 4.0.1 and it doesn't look like it's going to get any updates anytime soon.

Or should I just change to yakyu 4.0.4 and wait for an official update from Google? Any links or help would be greatly appreciated!
Yeah there is. There has been a official build for weeks now.
Jun 15, 2011
37816 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
convoluted wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 3:26 am

Yup, there is. That's how we have been getting the official updates for JB on our Galaxy Nexus with the yakju 4.0.4 build. Those with yakjuux 4.0.1 you'd have to be REALLY lucky to get the official OTA to JB. You can wait if you'd like or you can just flash to yakju 4.0.4 and then check for updates on the phone and boom you're good to go.

That way you'll be set for life in terms of not worrying for updates.
May 22, 2005
16519 posts
2211 upvotes
Thornhill
I accidentally soft bricked my GN when trying to update to 4.1.1, but ended up to be for the best, its a lot smoother with a fresh install. I had no idea what I was doing, but it worked out somehow lol. I still have no idea what yakyu or takyu, or the yakyuux.

Any recommendations on launchers? I was using trebuchet but I can't seem to find it, using GO Launcher and its pretty slow...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 16, 2003
9963 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
coriolis wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 9:38 am
I accidentally soft bricked my GN when trying to update to 4.1.1, but ended up to be for the best, its a lot smoother with a fresh install. I had no idea what I was doing, but it worked out somehow lol. I still have no idea what yakyu or takyu, or the yakyuux.

Any recommendations on launchers? I was using trebuchet but I can't seem to find it, using GO Launcher and its pretty slow...

nova launcher... that is all...
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Jun 15, 2011
37816 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
coriolis wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 9:38 am

Heh, we all learn from mistakes right? I recommend Nova or Apex launchers.
Jul 11, 2012
64 posts
1 upvote
Just one last question regarding Samsung Galaxy S3. I want to buy the phone without a contract and use with chat r. If I buy it from rogers, will with work on chat r or does it need to be unlocked. Would you recommend buying the American version off local carriers or buying the International version which is offered at pacific mall I bel
× < >