Tags:
None
Jun 15, 2011
37816 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ChanceOfThunder wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 3:48 pm
Just one last question regarding Samsung Galaxy S3. I want to buy the phone without a contract and use with chat r. If I buy it from rogers, will with work on chat r or does it need to be unlocked. Would you recommend buying the American version off local carriers or buying the International version which is offered at pacific mall I bel
The LTE versions of the S3s sold at Rogers/Bell/Telus are locked to their respective carrier, so you would have to get it unlocked. Of course you won't get LTE with a Chat R sim card/plan. You can also look at the Wind/Mobilicity version which should be fine with a Chat R sim card but again you'll be getting lower speeds on the phone overall for data and maybe voice? Again the phone has to be unlocked.

The International version of the phone is factory unlocked, so you stand a better chance of buying that I guess, as in you don't need to pay and unlock the phone. Even though unlocking the phone only costs $15 for the Rogers version.

By the way, you do know that the S3 is $649.99 + taxes from Rogers. I just looked up to see if the phone will work on Chat R and it should as Chat R's frequency is GSM 850 and 1900Mhz. So that's a go on the Rogers version of the S3. You'll be getting GSM speeds fyi vs HSPA +/4G speeds.

Worst case, I would suggest you try out your sim card on someone's S3 (a friend or relative) or maybe try to get it done in a Roger's store?

Good luck!
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Jul 11, 2012
64 posts
1 upvote
djemzine wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 4:03 pm
The LTE versions of the S3s sold at Rogers/Bell/Telus are locked to their respective carrier, so you would have to get it unlocked. Of course you won't get LTE with a Chat R sim card/plan. You can also look at the Wind/Mobilicity version which should be fine with a Chat R sim card but again you'll be getting lower speeds on the phone overall for data and maybe voice? Again the phone has to be unlocked.

The International version of the phone is factory unlocked, so you stand a better chance of buying that I guess, as in you don't need to pay and unlock the phone. Even though unlocking the phone only costs $15 for the Rogers version.

By the way, you do know that the S3 is $649.99 + taxes from Rogers. I just looked up to see if the phone will work on Chat R and it should as Chat R's frequency is GSM 850 and 1900Mhz. So that's a go on the Rogers version of the S3. You'll be getting GSM speeds fyi vs HSPA +/4G speeds.

Worst case, I would suggest you try out your sim card on someone's S3 (a friend or relative) or maybe try to get it done in a Roger's store?

Good luck!
Isn't it $599.99 (excluding taxes) on the rogers site? Just to confirm what your saying, I don't need to unlock the rogers phone for it work on Chat R?
Jun 15, 2011
37816 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ChanceOfThunder wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 4:57 pm
Isn't it $599.99 (excluding taxes) on the rogers site? Just to confirm what your saying, I don't need to unlock the rogers phone for it work on Chat R?
It's $599.99 month to month. The other price is no term or no contract.
Jul 11, 2012
64 posts
1 upvote
djemzine wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 5:41 pm
It's $599.99 month to month. The other price is no term or no contract.
Just to confirm what your saying, I don't need to unlock the rogers phone for it work on Chat R?
Jun 15, 2011
37816 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ChanceOfThunder wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 6:03 pm
Just to confirm what your saying, I don't need to unlock the rogers phone for it work on Chat R?
Oops forgot that. I think it should be fine. Then again I could be wrong.
1557 posts
72 upvotes
chinese zzz wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2012 9:14 pm
I just don't know what to say... djemzine He helped me updated the Jelly Bean.. for my Galaxy Nexus, talking on the phone and controlling my PC via online more than a hour
He doesn't give up helping on people, an VERY trusted person with friendly manners. :) 100% recommend for anyone who have issue with their cell phones ! In our society we need more people just like you :)

Once again Thanks djemzine for your hard work ! :)
+1, a very friendly and helpful individual

As for the OP, within the past week I have bought 4 BNIB Nexus off of Kijiji. Two of them did not have the sticker on the phone however, so I managed to get them for $325 a piece and the other two were bought for $360 and $370. So there is some money to be saved compared to the $499 plus tax you'll be paying at Wind.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2005
2019 posts
64 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 1:12 pm
Yup, there is. That's how we have been getting the official updates for JB on our Galaxy Nexus with the yakju 4.0.4 build. Those with yakjuux 4.0.1 you'd have to be REALLY lucky to get the official OTA to JB. You can wait if you'd like or you can just flash to yakju 4.0.4 and then check for updates on the phone and boom you're good to go.

That way you'll be set for life in terms of not worrying for updates.
So updating to 4.0.4 yakyu will get me jelly bean right away? I wasn't sure if there is a direct link to an official 4.1.1 build?

Also, anyone know about backing up my data (from games mostly)
Jun 15, 2011
37816 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
convoluted wrote:
Jul 25th, 2012 3:47 am
So updating to 4.0.4 yakyu will get me jelly bean right away? I wasn't sure if there is a direct link to an official 4.1.1 build?

Also, anyone know about backing up my data (from games mostly)
Yes pretty much. I helped chinese zzz over the weekend to flash to yakju 4.0.4 and I saw his phone update to JB immediately (via webcam). He didn't even have to do the Google Framework Services method, i.e. clear data, force stop, bunch of times, etc.

He just went to check for update and boom. If it helps he had a Mobilicity sim card. Worst case if it doesn't pick it up immediately, the Google Framework Services method works like a charm (its what I did to force the update). Did it 8 times for it to work.

Well, your contacts are synced and should be synced to Google. Your music (via cloud) or just copy to your computer via the old fashioned method. Same for pics and video. As for apps installed and downloaded from Google, make sure you enable Automatic restore under Backup and Restore via settings and back up my data as well. These should have been checked when you first got the phone. Still not too late I think, but worst case, it doesn't take a while to download the apps again I guess?

For game data (such as saved games, etc), get ES File Manager or Astro File Manager and actually look for the game under the folders. Usually it should be under mnt/sdcard.

The direct link on Google for the 4.1.1 build is for the Nexus 7.
Jul 11, 2012
64 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for the help everyone. Just a few questions, I decided to get Samsung Galaxy s3 with a virgin mobile supertab plan. Does the tab get interest? The Samsung galaxy s3 version on virgin mobile, what other carriers will it work on without it being unlocked? How much does it generally cost to unlock s3, and what reputable companies unlock s3?
Jun 15, 2011
37816 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ChanceOfThunder wrote:
Jul 26th, 2012 2:47 am
Thanks for the help everyone. Just a few questions, I decided to get Samsung Galaxy s3 with a virgin mobile supertab plan. Does the tab get interest? The Samsung galaxy s3 version on virgin mobile, what other carriers will it work on without it being unlocked? How much does it generally cost to unlock s3, and what reputable companies unlock s3?
Ah congrats. I see you went the "other" way heh. No matter, not sure about the Virgin Tab, etc. However, your Virgin S3 should work on the Bell network with no unlocking. However I haven't tried it myself. For it to be used on non Virgin/non Bell you need to unlock it. As for unlocking, the Rogers version is the cheapest I think at $15, however Bell's version is much more expensive.

This might be a reputable site http://unlock.canadagsm.ca/ However check with the S3 thread for more questions re unlocking websites/prices:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/samsung- ... 165573/58/
10 posts
1 upvote
FREDERICTON
hi,

I'm really new to all of this. so if I understand it correctly, to update to jelly bean and future update, I only need to updating to 4.0.4 yakyu?

second, anyone can provide a detailed step by step guide to updating to 4.0.4 yakyu?

thanks.
Jun 15, 2011
37816 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
syzsignup wrote:
Jul 29th, 2012 1:31 am
hi,

I'm really new to all of this. so if I understand it correctly, to update to jelly bean and future update, I only need to updating to 4.0.4 yakyu?

second, anyone can provide a detailed step by step guide to updating to 4.0.4 yakyu?

thanks.
Hi,

First off congrats on having a Galaxy Nexus and welcome to the forums.

To answer your question - yes you must have your phone set to 4.0.4 yakju and then update to Jelly Bean. However, you can now "flash" the Jelly Bean yakju 4.1.1 image from Google without having to flash to 4.0.4 yakju and then get Jelly Bean via the OTA.

Here's this step by step method which I think will work for new beginners: This is for Windows users only!

Another key thing is to enable USB debugging on your phone. That is found under Settings then Developer Options"

Just a small key note, when flashing the system image file up to user data and before boot image file, it gets stuck on the Google logo or JB logo. You have to remove the battery each time and then reboot into bootloader mode again after inserting the battery. This should be fine after flashing the boot and or recovery image.

1) Download Wug's Toolkit v 1.5.2 http://www.wugfresh.com/dev/nexus-root-toolkit/
2) Download the necessary image files from Google for yakju Jelly Bean 4.1.1 https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
3) For the above download "Android 4.1.1 (JRO03C)" from Factory Images "yakju" for Galaxy Nexus "maguro" (GSM/HSPA+)
4) Download that file into one common/main directory and extract it within the same directory, making sure you have the following files (see screenshot)

5) Once that is done, install the Wug's Toolkit to the regular C Drive.
6) Open up the toolkit and first select your type of device. Select it to "Custom Rom Jelly Bean" from the very first list/section.
7) Next select "Full Driver Installation Guide - Automatic + Manual" from "Initial Setup"
8) Then select Automatic driver installation. Let it do its thing. If it does not work, then follow the manual driver set up installation.
9) After all is done, you are now ready to unlock your bootloader. This will wipe your phone. So make sure to backup your phone
9i) To back up your contacts, I assume you have backed up/synced to your Google account?
10) Before unlocking your bootloader, click Launch under "Advanced Utilities" and select "ADB" under Quick Tools. Make sure your phone is on and connected to your computer of course.
11) Also click on "List devices" to make sure your phone is connected properly and its serial # is displayed on the screen.
12) After verifying steps 10 and 11, you can click the "Unlock" button under Unlock (main window)
13) Let it do its thing and you should see your phone doing its thing and it will reboot your phone and at the bottom, you'll see an unlocked padlock (if all goes well)
14) Once that is done, you are now ready to flash the images. Before you do, make sure to turn off your phone and boot your phone into the bootloader screen
14i) This can be done, by pressing both the volume up and down keys and the power button screen together. It should look like this:

As you can see in the above picture, that how the bootloader menu/screen looks like and if you can see at the bottom, it also shows that your bootloader is unlocked in red text.

15) Go back to Advanced Utilities option (by again click Launch under Advanced Utilities) from the main window/screen.
16) Now you will need to first flash the bootloader. Under Boot/Flash image section, make sure you select the Flash (Permanent) option. Once that is done, click on Bootloader.
16i) Follow the on screen prompts and select the bootloader image file from where you downloaded and extracted the actual image from Google. File name should be this "bootloader-maguro-primelc03"
16ii) Once that's selected, follow the on screen prompts and your phone will reboot into the normal mode.

*Note: When you are flashing all the image files, and when the phone boots into the normal mode (if it does), you have to turn off the phone and boot into bootloader mode each time

17) After flashing the bootloader image, flash the following in order:
a) Radio
b) System
c) Userdata
d) Boot
e) Recovery

18) If all goes well, you should see your phone running Jelly Bean 4.1.1. You can verify this by going into Settings, then About phone and scroll down until you see the version of Android and with the proper radio, etc.

All the best!