• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2013 10:14 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 15, 2011
38000 posts
5469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Just updated PA 2.99 Beta 1 (when it first came out) to Beta 8 and I am loving it. Much faster for sure. Will report back on battery life heh. Loving the new additions such as the status bar with quick settings.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
1623 posts
16 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
I was also wondering if I should ever need to have any Anti-virus/Anti-malware protection for my Galaxy Nexus? Any suggestions?
Less Negativeness, More Positiveness
Moins des négativités, Plus de positivités
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
34362 posts
6270 upvotes
mada726 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 9:05 am
I was also wondering if I should ever need to have any Anti-virus/Anti-malware protection for my Galaxy Nexus? Any suggestions?
I've been using free Avast. It can also lockdown your phone in case it is stolen.
Jun 15, 2011
38000 posts
5469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I just tried a Tablet UI 192DPI using Paranoid Android ROM and its epic. Screenshot soon.

Jun 15, 2011
38000 posts
5469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Decided to go with a nice red girl wall paper :) Changed the navigation buttons + notification symbols to red to go with this. Thanks to the Paranoid Android Hybrid Properties.

288 posts
23 upvotes
I have virgin maguro/yakjuux 4.1.1 and want to root and get to Takju 4.1.2 (not 4.2.1 from what I've been reading).

I'd like to be able to do OTA updates in the future, which I can't do now since I'm not actually with a formal carrier (using Speakout).

I'd like to stay stock and won't be doing custom ROMs for the foreseeable future.

Right now I'm debating Wugfresh and the one over on xda called Gnex Toolkit. I'm not really sure which to go with since they both look good.

Recommendations for a course of action?

Also, is it possible to stay on an older build like 4.1.2 without being pestered on a daily basis about upgrading?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8637 posts
2189 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
rseiler wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 1:32 am
(not 4.2.1 from what I've been reading).
Could you point us to what you've been reading? I've been on 4.2. and 4.2.1 since they came out. I'd like to know why that's a mistake ;)
Right now I'm debating Wugfresh and the one over on xda called Gnex Toolkit. I'm not really sure which to go with since they both look good.
I can't speak for the other but Wugfresh has been working for me through several releases, both of the toolkit and Android. It has a feature where you can download a release from Google's servers so you don't need any cell service.
Also, is it possible to stay on an older build like 4.1.2[sic] without being pestered on a daily basis about upgrading?
Well you could disconnect the phone to the Internet ;)

Seriously, what's your beef with 4.2.1?
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Jun 15, 2011
38000 posts
5469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
rseiler wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 1:32 am
I have virgin maguro/yakjuux 4.1.1 and want to root and get to Takju 4.1.2 (not 4.2.1 from what I've been reading).

I'd like to be able to do OTA updates in the future, which I can't do now since I'm not actually with a formal carrier (using Speakout).

I'd like to stay stock and won't be doing custom ROMs for the foreseeable future.

Recommendations for a course of action?

Also, is it possible to stay on an older build like 4.1.2 without being pestered on a daily basis about upgrading?
1) It is possible to do so yes - to revert from yakjuux to takju and root your phone with 4.1.2.

2) OTA updates for Nexus devices are not carrier specific. They are version specific. So once you have Takju then you are good to go, despite you being on Speakout Wireless. Example, my dad's on Speakout and he got the 4.2.1 update (Takju build)

3) That's fine when you are staying stock, but why do you want to root your phone? Just curious. Do note that when you root your phone, any future OTA updates will remove root access from the get go. So to preserve root, you need an app like Voodoo's OTA Rootkeeper for example.

4) IMHO, Wug's toolkit is the easiest way to go. Very simple to understand and a lot of RFDers have used it. Personally I do it the old fashioned method, but to each their own. Please see page 3, post #45 on using Wug's toolkit to change to Takju build + rooting (have not posted guide to root I think). The UI might be slightly different since then I used an older version of his toolkit.

5) As for disabling update notifications, you can simply just ignore it and not download the update.
288 posts
23 upvotes
@bylo, in places like earlier in this thread:
Looking back, I wouldnt update into 4.2 or 4.2.1. A bunch of things are broken in it.

- individual application notifications no longer works.
- gmail push is sporadic (for me).
- ASOP browser now instant force closes or freezes on any flash webpage.
- a lot of apps now force close for some reason
And here (comments indicate no substantial increase in popularity with 4.2.1, either):
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/19 ... st-release

4.2x is maligned all over the place, but I don't want the thread to turn into a version debate (you asked).

@djemzine, thanks for clarifying that it's not carrier-specific. I thought they were version and carrier-specific, so it's good to hear.

I need to get root to get off the APN method and onto a proxy method for app compatibility with Speakout. Also, apps like Titanium Backup, which are very important.

So thanks to both of your posts, I'll just concentrate on Wug and check out #45.

No doubt I'll have further questions, but I have more reading to do first. All this isn't brand-new to me, since I used to root and update my Sprint E4GT when in the U.S., but the Nexus method is quite different from that.

P.S.: What is the old-fashioned method?
Mar 20, 2006
288 posts
23 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 9:55 am
1) 4) IMHO, Wug's toolkit is the easiest way to go. Very simple to understand and a lot of RFDers have used it. Personally I do it the old fashioned method, but to each their own. Please see page 3, post #45 on using Wug's toolkit to change to Takju build + rooting (have not posted guide to root I think). The UI might be slightly different since then I used an older version of his toolkit.
Questions, if you please:

1) In NRT, to let it know what I already have, I'm assuming I choose "YAKJU-MAGURO: Android 4.1.1 Build JRO03C" rather than "CUSTOM ROM (GSM/HSPA+) - JB" even though I have Yakjuux? I'm thinking this is the case since a sysinfo app I have mentions both Maguro and JRO03C, but I thought I'd ask.

What I downloaded to update TO is: takju-jzo54k-factory-92830c0b.tgz

2) After bootloader, this is still the best order: a) Radio b) System c) Userdata d) Boot e) Recovery?

3) I take it by the existence of "Install Android Apps" that the system image doesn't include them?

Thx
Jun 15, 2011
38000 posts
5469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
rseiler wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 1:29 pm
@bylo, in places like earlier in this thread:

And here (comments indicate no substantial increase in popularity with 4.2.1, either):
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/19 ... st-release

4.2x is maligned all over the place, but I don't want the thread to turn into a version debate (you asked).

@djemzine, thanks for clarifying that it's not carrier-specific. I thought they were version and carrier-specific, so it's good to hear.

I need to get root to get off the APN method and onto a proxy method for app compatibility with Speakout. Also, apps like Titanium Backup, which are very important.

So thanks to both of your posts, I'll just concentrate on Wug and check out #45.

No doubt I'll have further questions, but I have more reading to do first. All this isn't brand-new to me, since I used to root and update my Sprint E4GT when in the U.S., but the Nexus method is quite different from that.

P.S.: What is the old-fashioned method?
You're more than welcome. That explains why you'd want to root primarily, i.e. the APN settings with Speakout. The old fashioned method - windows command prompt. I.e. fastboot commands. It has become like 2nd nature to me heh.
rseiler wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 4:40 pm
Questions, if you please:

1) In NRT, to let it know what I already have, I'm assuming I choose "YAKJU-MAGURO: Android 4.1.1 Build JRO03C" rather than "CUSTOM ROM (GSM/HSPA+) - JB" even though I have Yakjuux? I'm thinking this is the case since a sysinfo app I have mentions both Maguro and JRO03C, but I thought I'd ask.

What I downloaded to update TO is: takju-jzo54k-factory-92830c0b.tgz

2) After bootloader, this is still the best order: a) Radio b) System c) Userdata d) Boot e) Recovery?

3) I take it by the existence of "Install Android Apps" that the system image doesn't include them?

Thx
1) Since yours is yakjuux, and when I used this, I recall I selected Custom ROM JB, since Yakjuux was not on the list. I had no issues. Maguro is just the device's code name so to speak. Yakju/Takju is the software build code name if I am not mistaken.

2) Yes, once you extracted all of the files, or rather the images, do it in that order.

3) Nope, it does not include system image.

If you encounter any problems, I'll try to help you to my best. If you're in the Yonge/Eglinton area during weekdays, I could take a look at it, since I work in that area.

All the best and keep us posted!
90 posts
16 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 11:39 pm
+1. I turn on Airplane mode when I am sleeping.
I use Tasker and build profiles that during the hours of 11:30PM - 6:30AM
1. Turn wifi, BT, & autosync off
2. Mute sound/notification levels and reduce ringer level (want to keep phone on incase of emergency calls)
3. Reduce CPU usage to minimal during those hours in the weekday
4. Set phone to send an automated response to any texts received stating I'm unavailable and I'll respond back to them later
5. Set it so that my alarm goes off at 6:45 with notifications of weather and traffic reports on the wakeup, and all settings revert back to normal after 6:30AM
Jun 15, 2011
38000 posts
5469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
wackchin wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 10:47 am
I use Tasker and build profiles that during the hours of 11:30PM - 6:30AM
1. Turn wifi, BT, & autosync off
2. Mute sound/notification levels and reduce ringer level (want to keep phone on incase of emergency calls)
3. Reduce CPU usage to minimal during those hours in the weekday
4. Set phone to send an automated response to any texts received stating I'm unavailable and I'll respond back to them later
5. Set it so that my alarm goes off at 6:45 with notifications of weather and traffic reports on the wakeup, and all settings revert back to normal after 6:30AM
I should look into that app, but I use the NFC tag to do the same basically... hmmm...
288 posts
23 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 6:13 pm
All the best and keep us posted!
Thanks, but I'm finished now. It wasn't easy and was radically different from what I'm used to with another phone, but it worked.

Some notes:

1) I had run NRT several times yesterday in preparation, but by the time I actually got to using it for real last night, selecting CUSTOM ROM as your current Android build threw a baffling error:

I'm not sure what "feature" it was referring to, since it comes up when you run the program, before the phone is even hooked up, before you've done anything. It must have been some kind of server error on their side though, since like I mentioned, it wasn't doing it earlier in the day. I ended up choosing the 4.1.1 one instead since it didn't present the error.

2) I vaguely understood that I bought an unlocked phone, but I didn't understand that was the same thing as having an unlocked bootloader, though I should have. So when I ran that function in NRT and the phone merrily went to the bootloader screen and then came back as nothing ever happened--the phone was not wiped--I was slightly confused. It very much felt like it didn't work, when in reality it just didn't need to do anything.

3) That confusion led me to this page, which shows the "old-fashioned" way of doing this whole thing. D2 there confirmed that I was unlocked. I wasn't concerned about the phone not being wiped, either, since D10 mentions that it's going to happen soon enough. I didn't actually use this procedure though and instead went back to NRT.

BTW, the link there for the driver install is an excellent one. I used it instead of what's in NRT, since I've had phone driver issues before and wanted something bullet-proof.

4) As can happen, I had a couple hiccups along the way where I had to get out of stuck/hung states by pulling the battery--at least one time I even had to go into recovery and do a reset (the one specific instance I recall is after flashing "System"). Thankfully, it's all pretty resilient. You don't hear of too much bricking in the Android world.

5) Because of that, more than once I had to remember to go back in and enable USB debugging.

6) One difference from your procedure: you no longer have to manually go into bootloader mode, NRT does it for you.

7) After rooting, a good way to test root is to run SuperSU, granting it permissions, followed by BusyBox, which requires root.

8) A video that shows most of all this, albeit for the Nexus 4.
Jun 15, 2011
38000 posts
5469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
rseiler wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 2:49 pm
Thanks, but I'm finished now. It wasn't easy and was radically different from what I'm used to with another phone, but it worked.

Some notes:

1) I had run NRT several times yesterday in preparation, but by the time I actually got to using it for real last night, selecting CUSTOM ROM as your current Android build threw a baffling error:

I'm not sure what "feature" it was referring to, since it comes up when you run the program, before the phone is even hooked up, before you've done anything. It must have been some kind of server error on their side though, since like I mentioned, it wasn't doing it earlier in the day. I ended up choosing the 4.1.1 one instead since it didn't present the error.

2) I vaguely understood that I bought an unlocked phone, but I didn't understand that was the same thing as having an unlocked bootloader, though I should have. So when I ran that function in NRT and the phone merrily went to the bootloader screen and then came back as nothing ever happened--the phone was not wiped--I was slightly confused. It very much felt like it didn't work, when in reality it just didn't need to do anything.

3) That confusion led me to this page, which shows the "old-fashioned" way of doing this whole thing. D2 there confirmed that I was unlocked. I wasn't concerned about the phone not being wiped, either, since D10 mentions that it's going to happen soon enough. I didn't actually use this procedure though and instead went back to NRT.

BTW, the link there for the driver install is an excellent one. I used it instead of what's in NRT, since I've had phone driver issues before and wanted something bullet-proof.

4) As can happen, I had a couple hiccups along the way where I had to get out of stuck/hung states by pulling the battery--at least one time I even had to go into recovery and do a reset (the one specific instance I recall is after flashing "System"). Thankfully, it's all pretty resilient. You don't hear of too much bricking in the Android world.

5) Because of that, more than once I had to remember to go back in and enable USB debugging.

6) One difference from your procedure: you no longer have to manually go into bootloader mode, NRT does it for you.

7) After rooting, a good way to test root is to run SuperSU, granting it permissions, followed by BusyBox, which requires root.

8) A video that shows most of all this, albeit for the Nexus 4.
Glad it worked out in the end. Like I mentioned, the Wug's Toolkit I posted the guide for is an older version. Newer ones might have different/more features. This is for comment 6.