None
Nov 28, 2010
244 posts
12 upvotes
Mississauga
ez_86 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 1:45 am
yeah u r right, i was very wrong, LOL

after a few hours, was finally able to get to Rogers JB OTA from BELL leaked JB OTA

for people having issues with google now not talking back, i got this from XDA forums:

TO GET GOOGLE NOW FULLY WORKING IN CANADA, YOU NEED TO:
set your system locale (not the one in Google Now, but your actual device language) to en-US (use https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...relocale&hl=en), add custom locale with language 'en', country 'US', and apply that. The stock setting of en-CA (Canadian English) does not work
change your Google Now search settings to use Google.com instead of Google.ca. You lose cards otherwise.
Make sure Google Now voice is English US to avoid further issues.
That did the trick for me. Google Now is working great now.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2007
4247 posts
817 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 7:25 am
I tried OTA, then was reminded that I can't do it OTA with root and CWM.

Will this work via KIES? I think I would retain all my settings, files, but would lose root.

Anyone rooted with CWM tried this update yet?
yes i upated via odin 1.85
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5280 posts
665 upvotes
ez_86 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 10:28 am
yes i upated via odin 1.85
Okay, I know how ODIN works, I figured it would overwrite the whole ROM. So how did you do it? How do you retain settings, email, txts, etc?
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2005
2253 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm updating my Rogers S3 through Kies. Its been sitting at the 99% "Downloading firmware upgrade components" for the past 40mins...
Heatware (6-0-0)

FS:
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
2791 posts
306 upvotes
Markham
You guys have to update it via USB through Kies. It doesn't work over wi-fi/data for me, and many other people for some reason.

Changes to the S3 Android 4.1.1 Jellybean Update:

A few things they removed in the notifcations bar-
-Driving mode
-Notification on/off

Things ADDED to notifications bar-
-Time and date
-Blocking mode
-Settings icon on top right
-Notifications are more detailed
-Page buddy (you'll get notifications of recommended places to visit in your nearby location, weather etc (very interesting imo, I seem to like it)

Misc things added:
-A long term missing icon for "More settings" under Wireless and Networks category
-Home screen mode (either basic or easy mode)
-Blocking mode (option to block all calls, LED etc INDIVIDUALLY, do not confuse this with flight mode)
-In regards to auto rotation, Smart Rotation was added as an option (Youtube will now finally rotate to landscape automatically while still locked to portrait in the notifications bar) <-Best update IMO!!
-In Developer Options, added Stay awake (Screen will never sleep while charging)

Major Changes:
-MUCH smoother and faster interface
-Notification bar shortcuts move MUCH faster (even with power saving option)
-Notification bar is slightly grey-ish now, no longer pitch black
-The ability to add an image background to your SMS app
-With the power saving option, I believe the CPU isn't decreased that much anymore as it performs much faster (do correct me on this, I haven't tested)
-Under task manager, they included Google Now as an option, as opposed to the old Task Manager/Remove All option
-The task manager have their own icons now, Remove All is now a trash can, Task Manager is now a pie graph, and Google now is, well Google.
-Added Animator Duration option in the Developers Options
-Major upgrade to the camera features, more options have been added
-Account synchronization are now individually listed
-Voice recording now has the option of having a blue LED on while the screen is off as a reminder/notice you're using this service
-Under Motions, there is a separate category for setting sensitivity and an example test of each (before you had to click on each description to do this)
-Powering off menu has been changed, nothing was removed. Mute/Vibrate/Sound was added however (this option is in the notification bar anyway, don't know why this was added..)
-Reception bars for both wifi and celluar are noticeably higher to reflect more accuracy (I'm not sure about others, but I see a difference for me)

These are all the changes I've seen so far since I got it yesterday. Feel free to add to my list if you guys discovered something I didn't. Thanks.
AVOID buying dashcams from BlackBoxMyCar (BBMC) Read about their lies and unethical tactics HERE.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5922 posts
590 upvotes
Greely
Just got this tonight and really liking it so far.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2005
1304 posts
70 upvotes
I'm loving Google Now's voice control, but this is really frustrating me:

I can't get it to control my stock GS3 alarm clock/timer with voice control. Voice-control quick timers would be very useful for me.

Anyone figure out how to get it to work? I looked in both Now settings and the Clock app settings to no avail.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2449 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto
anyone having low quadrant scores? i vaguely remember it used to being over 4000 but after the update it's at ~3600 and on the chart lower than the htc one x
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2011
1033 posts
144 upvotes
Vancouver
Is there a way I can just download the Roger's JB update and flash my rooted, custom firmware Roger's S3 without having to reflash the original Roger's ICS firmware

Nyd
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3133 posts
2985 upvotes
Montreal
nyder74 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 12:15 am
Is there a way I can just download the Roger's JB update and flash my rooted, custom firmware Roger's S3 without having to reflash the original Roger's ICS firmware

Nyd
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... 6&page=158

You have to use Odin to flash. It will erase all the old settings/data of your phone... You might have to read/follow the "Important Reminders before Flashing Galaxy S3 Stock ROM" section... If you don't hard reset before flash, you might get stuck at the "SAMSUNG" logo after flash. You can reboot into the recovery mode, do the factory reformat, clear cache... so it will let you reboot no problem...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5922 posts
590 upvotes
Greely
The jellybean update broke Swype for me when using it in a browser. arghhhhhhhhh

Apparently this is a common problem and there are lots of complaints about it.
Aug 8, 2010
655 posts
509 upvotes
GTA
steve-0101 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 11:54 am
The jellybean update broke Swype for me when using it in a browser. arghhhhhhhhh

Apparently this is a common problem and there are lots of complaints about it.
I have not updated as yet, but are you using Samsung's built in swipe or the original swype app?
I downloaded and started using the oringinal swype from the get go, find it way better than samsung's built in swipe.