• Nov 15th, 2013 9:23 am
Tags:
None
Apr 23, 2007
88 posts
15 upvotes
_Allan_ wrote:
Nov 4th, 2013 9:46 am
No... it just shows that Apple overinflates the value of their phones.
Let me explain some basic economics to you...The price that Apple sets means nothing if the market doesn't accept that price. If Apple sets a price that's too high the market will simply reject it and the phone will not sell (case in point 5c). This is a basic principle. The fact that the market accepts this price means that the value is not inflated. Just because YOU think it's overinflated means nothing. Welcome to ECON 101.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15908 posts
354 upvotes
Well, 2 years old galaxy nexus is not getting 4.4 kitkat while the 4 and 4s are still geting ios updates says a lot about resale value.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
that's because androids get new phones constantly. new upgrades and new software updates from various brands.
with iphone you get whatever apple shoves down your throat and then some.
they control that eco system like horny money hungry pimps.
and when they say there is a new chick in town. it's the same hoe with a new make up. only difference is we call that new hoe chick S and charge more.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2949 posts
134 upvotes
infamouskid wrote:
Nov 4th, 2013 11:52 pm
that's because androids get new phones constantly. new upgrades and new software updates from various brands.
and when they say there is a new chick in town. it's the same hoe with a new make up. only difference is we call that new hoe chick S and charge more.
Rofl

New software updates from every brand.

You mean the current version of Android which you had to buy a new phone for because your old one isn't supported anymore. What a clown. They way you people spin things, unbelievable.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9262 posts
1884 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
infamouskid wrote:
That would be an explanation why Androids would have much higher resale value.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Sep 27, 2003
719 posts
119 upvotes
Earth
gilboman wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2013 11:07 pm
One of the positives of having no innovation whatsoever is that an old iPhone is same as a new iPhone. I mean an iPhone 5s or 5c vs an iPhone 5 is negligible. And even an iPhone 5/5s/5c and 4s is much smaller than a new Samsung s4 vs a s2. The iPhone still has outdated and featureless os..no HD screen...tiny low PPI...and no NFC..no wireless charging..no ir blaster .. There is really no meaningful difference between iphones of different generations .

So of course resale will be better because the old I phones aren't much worst since the new iPhone don't really improve at all. Just look at the 5s vs 5 vs 4s. It has no new feature except a finger print reader lol

So absolutely agree iPhone is the phone to get if you want to resell..but totally different story to use. Iphones are the corollas of smart phones. Good for resell but not actually drive or use on iphones case. And just like how corolla still have the 4spd transmission and 132hp 1.8 liter engine from a decade ago..iPhone is same. So there's no big difference between generation and not much improvements or difference and this is why like corollas..Iphones have good resale. Much better resale on a corolla than a m3 in terms of residual.
infamouskid wrote:
I'm sorry but it seems like Apple haters really are running out of stuff to say against their number one enemy. Do they really think they'll be taken serious with those nonsense posts? Do they think with that kind of posts will make people run away from Apple? Quite the opposite if you ask me heh.

To anymore Apple haters out there please make some sense into your posts. So we can all have some real discussion.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2011
1061 posts
109 upvotes
dragon_drift wrote:
Nov 4th, 2013 11:21 pm
Well, 2 years old galaxy nexus is not getting 4.4 kitkat while the 4 and 4s are still geting ios updates says a lot about resale value.
not really.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 16, 2003
9964 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
keep in mind most people flipping phones aren't paying retail prices either..

so iphone 5 they got for $149 on a 3 year vs. a s4 they got for $99 on a 3 year..

the resell turns into "profit" for an iphone owner

android does it to themselves... nexus keys the manufacturers lol (i'm not complaining though) i'll like cheap phones to play with
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4684 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
dragon_drift wrote:
Let's not forget there is much more competition between Android manufacturers to make a dent in the Android market share. That may mean cheaper phones or more closer iterations/models which all lower resale value for similar phones. If you want an iOS phone, guess what your stuck buying an iPhone and considering you don't much of a choice in waiting for another manufacturer to make a cheaper or more powerful version and unless you plan on waiting at the longest a whole year to get the next iPhone the current version won't drop in price that quick in that timeframe.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
5716 posts
697 upvotes
Someone said it before but it's because there are new android phones every month.
So resale value goes down fast.
Aug 15, 2013
336 posts
85 upvotes
Guelph
kazza_ca wrote:
Nov 4th, 2013 11:07 pm
I bought my iphone 4 last year for $250, sold it this year for $240.

Bought my Captivate for $250 on contract, was barely able to get rid of it 2 years later for $100.
Lets look at the fact. If by last year you mean 2012, Iphone 4 came out in 2010 for a retail price of roughly $700. you bought it for $250 which translates into a loss in value of $450 in 2 years. Doesnt look like your iphone maintained its resale value.

This thread has quickly become faceoff between apple haters v/s android haters. Face it guys, cell phones are not good resale items, be it apple or samsung or whichever. People can make whatever reasons they think apple holds value. Personal judgement is BS. Does anyone have any facts as to iphone holds better value. Go out on ebay or kijiji and compare same gen flagshiip androids v/s iphones. dont think there will be much of a price difference if any.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
554 upvotes
Rainne wrote:
Nov 5th, 2013 6:57 am
Rofl

New software updates from every brand.

You mean the current version of Android which you had to buy a new phone for because your old one isn't supported anymore. What a clown. They way you people spin things, unbelievable.
do you even know how android works in terms of pushing out updates? google has evolved to a model of pushing out individual modules to update without needing to wait for the nominal os version. So they can push email client, calender etc.. all updates without rolling out a new os version

moreover.. this http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/6/50722 ... ore-pixels

further confirms that androids or samsungs innovate at 3x the rate of apple so a generation behind in a samsung phone is a much bigger deal than apple which is still running on 2+ year old specs on their phones, so there's minimal difference between versions which does help with resale when there is minimal difference.

apple is still stuck in low definition screen while competition have upped screen quality by big amounts past few years and next year we are going to 1440p displays while apple can't even do 720 yet
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
554 upvotes
dragon_drift wrote:
yea..cause apple hasn't updated their os for past few years..i mean ios 7 is just ios 6 with a launcher and themepack and ios6 and etc... apple doesn't really update or have new features ... it's just update in version number only.much like their phones. Since they spend their entire budget on marketing and have no engineers.

and when they release a non marketing feature, its total fail like imessage/imaps/icloud/itunes
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9262 posts
1884 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
gilboman wrote:
Nov 6th, 2013 3:02 pm
do you even know how android works in terms of pushing out updates? google has evolved to a model of pushing out individual modules to update without needing to wait for the nominal os version. So they can push email client, calender etc.. all updates without rolling out a new os version

moreover.. this http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/6/50722 ... ore-pixels

further confirms that androids or samsungs innovate at 3x the rate of apple so a generation behind in a samsung phone is a much bigger deal than apple which is still running on 2+ year old specs on their phones, so there's minimal difference between versions which does help with resale when there is minimal difference.

apple is still stuck in low definition screen while competition have upped screen quality by big amounts past few years and next year we are going to 1440p displays while apple can't even do 720 yet
Do you play the lottery regularly? I ask because I always see the lottery as a tax on the mathematically challenged. Since you appear to have bought into the "more dpi must be better" sales pitch and haven't realized that mathematically, DPI above a certain point (already passed) has no benefit, I have to assume you have certain limitations in your comprehension of maths.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
× < >