• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2018 10:24 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
3615 posts
51 upvotes
That will be classic example of piggybacking on Toronto infrastructure. "Buy condo close to TTC, pay Markham development charges, bash Toronto inneffectiveness". Condo spring all over Steeles recently, but almost all activity happens North of Steeles :)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7174 posts
217 upvotes
Nepean
awww i'll miss the bbq squid they usually have outside of their market :(
Apr 23, 2007
913 posts
6 upvotes
shadomoon wrote: Ooops, I apologize profusely. I totally forgot to specify which Galleria I was talking about. It's the huge Korean supermarket north of Yonge & Steeles.
I thought you meant the Galleria Shopping Centre at Dufferin and Dupont. I dont think it is closing. :|

Ive never heard about that Korean place. :confused:
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
3427 posts
196 upvotes
I can see why the place is closing..
It has such a generic crappy name!

I would have chosen "Super K-Town Markie & Yum Yum" as a better name! :lol:
The RFD Doctrine
Toronto : Anywhere west of Montreal and east of Calgary.
Scarborough: Anywhere becomes Scarborough if it's a thread about crime.
Google: RFD is faster than Google. Make a thread if you need to find out what bus to take.
Apr 23, 2007
913 posts
6 upvotes
Silly name, your right. Sounds more Italian than Korean?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1387 posts
118 upvotes
GTA
Atomic Chip wrote: Silly name, your right. Sounds more Italian than Korean?
Galleria means a collection of small shops under one roof - synonymous to Mall... Koreans love to use that name for some reason - This is a name of well known department store chain in Korea, condominium complex, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
Darn... that's where I get my Soba... :(
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
1727 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
There's still is the new H Mart not too far north on Yonge, for all your Korean grocery needs.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
825 upvotes
Newmarket
Atomic Chip wrote: I thought you meant the Galleria Shopping Centre at Dufferin and Dupont. I dont think it is closing. :|

Ive never heard about that Korean place. :confused:
I was thinking of that place as well. And even though it was the first Mcdonalds I had ever been to, the first thought that crossed my mind was "good riddance".
Jul 22, 2007
55 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Arcticsilverfox wrote: Pretty sure OP is referring to the korean supermarket just north of yonge and steeles. I don't think it'll close, though it has been lately facing a lot of stiff competition from other "super" korean markets that are arising. Then again, competition is a great thing, as it drives prices lower for us, the consumers.
Arcticsilverfox, where are the other "super" korean markets? I know of H Mart, which has a decent food court, but not as good as Galleria in my opinion. If there is decent competition to Galleria I would definitely go check it out!

Thanks.
Feb 24, 2007
662 posts
Markham
red120 wrote: Phews.. thought the OP meant Galleria @ Commerce
+1. My god, if that placed went down, I'd have to end up paying 10+ for a meal around that area > :( . It's the only cheap-ass meal around that area, but dayumn, it's good for what it costs!

Never knew Galleria was equivalent to Mall in terms of definition. That's a neat tidbit of info.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
165 upvotes
GTA
This thread brought me back to when I used to do my grocery shopping at Dupont and Dufferin when it was still Food City, dungy area, but I loved getting my coldcuts there, never knew there were so many Galleria's in existence.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2010
3553 posts
87 upvotes
felixdd wrote: There's also a Galleria mall in London, ON, that's been super quiet for the past year or two. On a weekday it you might see maybe a handful of people walking through. On a weekend everything's closed: shops, food court, everything.

Maybe OP is referring to that? Who knows. :cheesygri

That was my first guess too. That place has been dying a slow death since the early 90s.
RFD OT: Serious answers to stupid questions.
RFD Definition of 'troll': Someone whose opinion you don't like.
Aug 21, 2006
105 posts
8 upvotes
bonbon0710 wrote: galleria supermarket has a new location it's on don mills and york mills - 865 York Mills Rd.

http://www.galleriasm.com:8888/EventVie ... tactUs.jpg#
Being fond of food variety, I check out all sorts of ethnic restaurants and markets soon after they open. In fact, I can confidently say I have at least sampled, if not thoroughly familiar with, every ethnic food available in Toronto. That would cover just about the entire world save perhaps miniscule rainforest tribes who have no significant presence outside their indigenous habitat.

That relocated Galleria is one huge, super clean, mega selection place that will blow one's mind. It has an atmosphere that tends to put one into a feeding and buying frenzy, even more so than its original location in Thornhill which itself was amazing. Interesting weighted price buffet there too with large selection. It's in the same league as T and T for the Chinese, Starsky's for the Polish, Yummy Market for Russians and others at all of which I often shop.

In Toronto nowadays, you see a lot of these new supermarkets that are equivalent to upscale "mainstream" supermarkets such as Loblaws for some ethnic groups which have social factors of population critical mass, not fully assimilated (like Germans and Italians - think of Longo's, Fortino's or MichaelAngelo's which are for all intent and purpose mainstream) and personal factors such as intelligence and healthy ambition which matter more than finances bestowing these groups capability of building world class - literally "world" class - operations. (As a side note, you can accurately judge relative success of ethnic groups in Canada by the presence of these supermarkets as an indirect but easily identifiable marker.) Quite a difference from 10 or even 5 years back, and certainly 20+ years ago, when all ethnic grocery stores in Toronto were dingy little mom and pop operations. My, times have changed.
Banned
Nov 19, 2010
519 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
gmark2000 wrote: I had no idea what the OP was talking about. I am sure that RFDers from the rest of Canada had no clue either.

Galleria closing? That's a lie, my neighbor has a kiosk at the Galleria and it's NOT closing, it's in a very good location, Dupont & Dufferin and is always full. There's a LOT of portuguese who frequent that place, there's also a horse race-betting sports bar there that's always full to the rim.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto
All these galleria threads are impossible to follow when everyone is talking about different Galleria locations.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
3427 posts
196 upvotes
Gamix wrote: Galleria closing? That's a lie, my neighbor has a kiosk at the Galleria and it's NOT closing, it's in a very good location, Dupont & Dufferin and is always full. There's a LOT of portuguese who frequent that place, there's also a horse race-betting sports bar there that's always full to the rim.

That's a lie too... The Galleria MALL at Dupont and Dufferin is one big dump that should be closed.
Someone please tear this $#1+hole down....!
The RFD Doctrine
Toronto : Anywhere west of Montreal and east of Calgary.
Scarborough: Anywhere becomes Scarborough if it's a thread about crime.
Google: RFD is faster than Google. Make a thread if you need to find out what bus to take.
Banned
Nov 19, 2010
519 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
appleb wrote: All these galleria threads are impossible to follow when everyone is talking about different Galleria locations.

I just noticed this too, it's the OP's fault for not clarifying what place he was talking about, does he think we all live in his neighborhood? :facepalm:
Blunt wrote: That's a lie too... The Galleria MALL at Dupont and Dufferin is one big dump that should be closed.
These kind of places are the most crowded and profitable, case-in-point Dixon Flea Market and Jane-Finch Mall.

-
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
825 upvotes
Newmarket
Blunt wrote: That's a lie too... The Galleria MALL at Dupont and Dufferin is one big dump that should be closed.

I agree, its a hole.
Always was.
Even back when there was a Towers department store there.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)