Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A

Galleria Supermarket (the korean grocery) @ Yonge and Steeles, is now open

the new location opened today at noon. It's located at the north WEST corner of yonge and steeles.

it seems to have renamed itself as;

Galleria Market Place.
7040 yonge st. Thornhill ON L4J 1V7
905 882 0040

A few notable differences from their previous location.
It is now open 24 hours.
it's much smaller than before.
And no food court. correction. looks like 4 restaurants are yet to move in. 1 korean, 1 japanese, 1 chinese, and 1 k-fast food(tukbokki, hotuk)
it isn't quite 'complete' yet. some minor construction is still going on, and not all stores have moved in.

And mark my words people. We're going to see a lot of car accidents, just north of the yonge and steeles intersection. The entrance into the store is quite horrid. galleria will create a lot of congestion there... if i were you, i'd go in through the steeles entrance, not yonge.

map
[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2nthd9x.jpg[/IMG]

floor plan
[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/dgkps2.jpg[/IMG]
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
Ducky wrote: Is the outdoor cart still there?

??
the shopping carts??? or that stall that sold buns and stuff?
Aug 16, 2010
814 posts
81 upvotes
Richmond Hill
why would they make it smaller? it was great!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
peterchaorocks wrote: why would they make it smaller? it was great!

well, they didn't 'make' it smaller. the building was already there. it used to be chapters/indigo.
they couldn't make it bigger, unless they actually did some major construction and make additions over the parking lot.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
Nice that its 24 hours (well there are already a few 24 hr korean markets in the area). Whats with koreans and having to have things open 24 hrs?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
slowtyper wrote: Nice that its 24 hours (well there are already a few 24 hr korean markets in the area). Whats with koreans and having to have things open 24 hrs?
i think it's a seoul thing.
people who say NY never sleeps haven't seen seoul.
so many places open 24 hours there.
it's probably because people work long hours, and even now often on saturdays, so you can only party and do stuff late at night.
it's not uncommon for people to drink and party during the weekday until 3-4 in the morning, and catch a 3 hour sleep and go back to work the next day.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6484 posts
2389 upvotes
Mississauga
the outdoor cart located outside the entrance....selling popular items such as the red bean fishies....etc
ippon wrote: ??
the shopping carts??? or that stall that sold buns and stuff?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
Ducky wrote: the outdoor cart located outside the entrance....selling popular items such as the red bean fishies....etc

nope.
that doesn't mean they won't make an appearance later, as the market isn't entirely finished. that stall didn't exist when galleria first launched in the original location as well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
kareshi wrote: sure thanks. i hope their quality will be maintained

quality seems just as before, but unfortunately the prices as well.
i do find the galleria and h-mart to be so expensive.
i actually don't buy much from these places.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5604 posts
438 upvotes
Mississauga
ippon wrote: i think it's a seoul thing.
people who say NY never sleeps haven't seen seoul.
so many places open 24 hours there.
it's probably because people work long hours, and even now often on saturdays, so you can only party and do stuff late at night.
it's not uncommon for people to drink and party during the weekday until 3-4 in the morning, and catch a 3 hour sleep and go back to work the next day.

Thank you Seoul. I like the 24 hr convenience store on my block, although I've only visited during the day lol
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto
Where is heck is the entrance along Steeles? I ended up going through the entrance to Moores, and drove along what looked to be an alleyway with some monstrously steep speedbumps. Is there a proper entrance for the store other than the Yonge side?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
appleb wrote: Where is heck is the entrance along Steeles? I ended up going through the entrance to Moores, and drove along what looked to be an alleyway with some monstrously steep speedbumps. Is there a proper entrance for the store other than the Yonge side?

if you keep going up the entrance way to the right side of Moores, you'll see the galleria to the right hand side.
Nov 5, 2005
651 posts
2 upvotes
They also opened another location on York Mills between Leslie and Don Mills. I don't have the exact address but it is on the side street west to the plaza with the Kelsey's.

It is fairly spacious, but I went on the night of Christmas Day so the food court and such obviously weren't open. Its a good alternative if you're in the area or more south.
Dec 23, 2010
454 posts
31 upvotes
I just want to know how many sampling booths do they have. ;-)>
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2005
1928 posts
35 upvotes
Scarborough
Does it have a foodcourt with kalbi? If yes, is it good and how much?
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
Muncher wrote: Does it have a foodcourt with kalbi? If yes, is it good and how much?

first post answers your question
Feb 1, 2008
895 posts
117 upvotes
been there a few times, and even though i prefer the old location a lot more (better parking, bigger area), i cant really complain considering how there arent any other locations to go to if they want to stay within the area.

i know the front door (facing the street) gets locked up after 10pm for security reasons, and you have to go through the side door. the only question i have is, if its open 24 hours, do they still make those cooked and packaged foods during the late hours? the latest i was there was around 11pm, and most of their food is on 30-50% off, but it would be great if they were still making fresh ones at that time as im sure during the weekend nights i'd probably go in to pick up some food (1-2am)
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
dubjk wrote: been there a few times, and even though i prefer the old location a lot more (better parking, bigger area), i cant really complain considering how there arent any other locations to go to if they want to stay within the area.

i know the front door (facing the street) gets locked up after 10pm for security reasons, and you have to go through the side door. the only question i have is, if its open 24 hours, do they still make those cooked and packaged foods during the late hours? the latest i was there was around 11pm, and most of their food is on 30-50% off, but it would be great if they were still making fresh ones at that time as im sure during the weekend nights i'd probably go in to pick up some food (1-2am)

I went there around 3 in the morning one night and there was no cooked food. It was a weekday, so maybe they keep the production line open on the weekends, but its just a guess.

When they were making food (earlier), I was mesmerized watching the kimbap machine do its thing...amazing!