Travel

Galveston Cruise Planning {flights, hotels, transfers)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2018 4:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3435 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto

Galveston Cruise Planning {flights, hotels, transfers)

We are planning a 7 day cruise from Galveston in Dec.

Need some help in planning and we haven't left from this port before.

Debating if we drive there or fly {either from Buffalo or Detroit as it's a lot more expensive from Toronto). Has anyone here driven to Galveston? Thoughts on doing this road trip? We would be staying with family for a week after the cruise in San Antonio.

2 adults and 2 kids aged 11 and 13.

We have driven to Miami a few years ago and drove to NB, PEI, Cape Breton and Halifax this summer.

Current options are:

1. Drive to Galveston, then to San Antonio, then back to Toronto
2. Fly from Buffalo to Houston. Figure out how to get to Galveston. Then figure out how to San An2after the cruise. Then fly from San Antonio to Buffalo. Flights are coming to about $1500 Cdn.
3. Fly from Detroit and do the same as option 2. Flights are approximately $900 Cdn.

Any suggestions or inputs would be greatly appreciated.
8 replies
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
660 upvotes
Why Galveston? Port is not near city and everything is quite expensive compared to a Florida departure
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1412 posts
502 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
From what I've read, ship arrival and departures are prone to fog (and tide) delays. Make an allowance for your return.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
3301 posts
1521 upvotes
From many comments I have read through forums I wouldn't cruise from Galveston. But I never done this myself to comment by experience.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3435 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
Well.. It's booked now. We did it because we figured we could visit family in San Antonio after. There was a similar cruise from Florida we could have done, but that ship has sailed. ☺

Anyone here done Galveston and have any tips?
Oct 27, 2012
281 posts
204 upvotes
Shwa
We did a Royal Carribean cruise last year from galveston. Drove to dallas and austin to visit family and friends for a few nights. Stayed at a hotel in houston the night b4 the cruise. Much cheaper than galveston hotels and only an hr away I think.

Dropped off the family at the terminal and did some self parking place a block away. Would do it again but im bored of cruise now.
Nov 23, 2015
553 posts
266 upvotes
Winnipeg
That is a long drive from Canada to Galveston. Even if you don't mind driving, you're burning up a lot of vacation time just sitting in the car. And when you factor in all the costs (gas, accommodations, meals), I doubt you would come out that much further ahead. It's either 2x14 hour days on the road which cuts out a night of hotel on the road but is an almost excruciating pace, or 3 days x9 hours on the road which is easier but more expensive. I'd be surprised if anyone could pull it off for under $1000 both ways, and that's not including wear and tear on the car... spending an extra $500 to fly from Buffalo would be the best $500 you ever spend, OP.

There are shuttles that go from Houston to Galveston. Obviously you have to be flexible and work around their schedules, but it can be done. So I guess that adds a couple hundred bucks to the cost of flying, but still worth it IMO. A car rental is an alternative since you're planning to go to San Antonio...

Anyway, Galveston is a nice town and worth a couple of days. It has a certain dilapidated charm and some interesting attractions. I stayed at a nice apartment hotel on the beach a few kms from the heart of town. Galveston is definitely not Miami or some glitzy ocean resort, but it's a nice place to spend a bit of time.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8245 posts
893 upvotes
We did a cruise 2 years ago out of Galveston. We did 2 one way rentals pre/post cruise. Arranging for this was a pain because most of the island rentals are closed on weekends but it was better for our group size. If you pale your car for the week, lots of nearby lots available.

The island seems nice but we didn't explore much. I have a co-worker who goes down for the Ironman 70.3 event there and likes it.

Your plan for San Antonio could work well.

1 thing I'd note is that the cruise will be very Texan-oriented. Ours (RCI) had mostly country music performances. Cruisers will be a different demographic than say NYC and Florida. We personally liked the atmosphere but probably wouldn't do it again based on the logistically difficulties.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3435 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you for the insight and tips!