• Sep 8th, 2019 11:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10334 posts
6702 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
zod wrote: I'm torn with GoT. When Lost ended people weren't happy with the ending, but I liked the ending, and pretty much the entire journey. If I had the time I'd watch it again in a heartbeat.

I'm trying to figure out where I stand on GoT. The first 5 or 6 seasons were amazing. When you watch those episodes they go by in a heartbeat. Some of the best TV ever made. But those last seasons, especially the last season. The payoff felt flat. All that built up, and they didn't stick the landing. I had planned on buying the whole series bluray before their aired the season, now I wonder if I'm stuck where people felt they were on Lost. Where they felt the journey wasn't worth the destination :(
Very well said.

Rather have a show [over several seasons] get better in quality rather then just race towards the ending and so 10-15% of the episodes [S8] mean that have no desire to watch again.

Do appreciate cost of show but no way going to buy any bluray or anything now.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11679 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
georvu wrote: Very well said.

Rather have a show [over several seasons] get better in quality rather then just race towards the ending and so 10-15% of the episodes [S8] mean that have no desire to watch again.

Do appreciate cost of show but no way going to buy any bluray or anything now.
Or at least I'm in no rush. I'll wait a year or two until there's a complete series on some ultra black friday discount.

I think the fundamental problem was the show heavily relied on the books. Once it got past that, and they had little to no source material, they were a bit lost. I think the moral of the story is, if you're going to make an amazing show based on books, make sure the series is done before making said show :)
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2009
1464 posts
789 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
I think there's quite a big difference between Lost and Game of Thrones.

Game of Thrones' early seasons are still great. They aren't diminished by the fact that the ending was rushed. They are able to stand on their own. It might be disappointing to know where things eventually ended up, but it doesn't ruin the show as a whole. Game of Thrones is a show that is enjoyable on a second watch even when you know what is going to happen.

Lost really relied on the whole mystery of the island and all that. So when you realize that they never really had a plan and they were just stringing the viewers along and making shit up as they went, then it starts to feel hollow. But, if you enjoy the episode to episode drama and the characters in Lost, then the fact that they never really had a plan is irrelevant. Enjoy the parts of the show you like.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2459 posts
682 upvotes
Ontario
ugly wrote: I think there's quite a big difference between Lost and Game of Thrones.

Game of Thrones' early seasons are still great. They aren't diminished by the fact that the ending was rushed. They are able to stand on their own. It might be disappointing to know where things eventually ended up, but it doesn't ruin the show as a whole. Game of Thrones is a show that is enjoyable on a second watch even when you know what is going to happen.

Lost really relied on the whole mystery of the island and all that. So when you realize that they never really had a plan and they were just stringing the viewers along and making shit up as they went, then it starts to feel hollow. But, if you enjoy the episode to episode drama and the characters in Lost, then the fact that they never really had a plan is irrelevant. Enjoy the parts of the show you like.
After season 3 Lost started going downhill. Like GOT it had so many story arcs that really never had a satisfactory ending. Lost was really one of the greatest shows ever just because it was on a network which limited its storyline. GOT had no excuse for its lame finish.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
ugly wrote: I think there's quite a big difference between Lost and Game of Thrones.

I think its the opposite.

At least Lost tried to give the audience something. They ended it with being together again as consciousness. It wasnt good but it wasnt terrible unlike GOT.

GOT was amazing from S1-S7 but S8 ruined it all. It was a very quick and steep decline.

The Red Wedding, Battle of The Bastards, Hardhome. All those epic moments vanished because it has very little meaning at the end.

Hard to watch an episode knowing its all just hype.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11679 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria

Except I think that's why GoT did. They had the books, then surpassed the books. They sort of knew where to end because the author told them, but they rushed through it and strung the viewers along to close it up.

Personally when I watched the Lost finale, I truly missed the show when it was done. I never got that feeling when GoT ended.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6231 posts
4830 upvotes
zod wrote:
Personally when I watched the Lost finale, I truly missed the show when it was done. I never got that feeling when GoT ended.
I absolutely agree with you and "Lost" is still my favorite TV show of all time. Still feels like yesterday, can't believe it went off the air 9 years ago.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
A record 32 Emmy nods.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/16/entertai ... index.html
Forget the Iron Throne. The cast of "Game of Thrones" now has their eyes some Emmys -- 32 to be exact.

The HBO drama walked away with double digit Emmy nominations on Tuesday, setting a new record for most nominations earned in a single year by any drama series.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11679 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
Wow.... I always mixed when a show was great, but it gets all the nods at the end when it wasn't so great. Where were all the accolades when it was amazing :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5182 posts
3058 upvotes
The Emmy nominations are basically a "thank you" as it was its final season. A lot of it was undeserved though, even though I do like some of the actors (Kit, Emilia, Lena).
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
zod wrote: Wow.... I always mixed when a show was great, but it gets all the nods at the end when it wasn't so great. Where were all the accolades when it was amazing :)
MyNameWasTaken wrote: The Emmy nominations are basically a "thank you" as it was its final season. A lot of it was undeserved though, even though I do like some of the actors (Kit, Emilia, Lena).
Thrones has already won more Emmy awards than any other scripted show in TV history. The majority of its nominations this year are for technical awards (best sound mixing, best main title design, best production design, etc.), which are definitely deserved. No one will dispute the technical and artistic prowess of the behind the scenes talent.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world
zod wrote: Personally when I watched the Lost finale, I truly missed the show when it was done. I never got that feeling when GoT ended.
You would have had that same feeling if GoT would have been written in a different way.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6231 posts
4830 upvotes
Did anyone experience withdrawals this summer knowing that Season 8 was the end of the show? I personally didn't. However, I am looking forward to the live concert on Friday at the Budweiser Stage. Anyone else going to the show tomorrow night?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2459 posts
682 upvotes
Ontario
Mr_Fanta wrote: Did anyone experience withdrawals this summer knowing that Season 8 was the end of the show? I personally didn't. However, I am looking forward to the live concert on Friday at the Budweiser Stage. Anyone else going to the show tomorrow night?
The last season made me angry. Ruined the whole series for me.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
No withdrawals, but every now and then I find myself thinking back to "wow, that ending was disappointing."
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8298 upvotes
Toronto
Mike15 wrote: No withdrawals, but every now and then I find myself thinking back to "wow, that ending was disappointing."
Have they released the season in 4k yet?
I'd like to rewatch the Winterfell battle with my projector.
Curious if the higher quality will make viewing any easier.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2009
1464 posts
789 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
Mike15 wrote: No withdrawals, but every now and then I find myself thinking back to "wow, that ending was disappointing."
I thought about the ending too recently and how it was disappointing. It definitely was disappointing compared to the rest of the show, but I think people are getting caught up in the hype.

The reason I was thinking about it is because I recently watched Black Panther and Avengers Infinity War and Avengers Endgame. Since those movies wrapped up around the same time Game of Thrones did, I remember there being a lot of comparisons. I remember a lot of people pointing out how Avengers really nailed the ending and Game of Thrones essentially fell flat on its face.

But after seeing Avengers, it give me a whole different context. If Avengers is considered a high bar for nailing an ending then Game of Thrones' ending was a masterpiece. Even given season 8's many, many shortcomings.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
ugly wrote: I thought about the ending too recently and how it was disappointing. It definitely was disappointing compared to the rest of the show, but I think people are getting caught up in the hype.

The reason I was thinking about it is because I recently watched Black Panther and Avengers Infinity War and Avengers Endgame. Since those movies wrapped up around the same time Game of Thrones did, I remember there being a lot of comparisons. I remember a lot of people pointing out how Avengers really nailed the ending and Game of Thrones essentially fell flat on its face.

But after seeing Avengers, it give me a whole different context. If Avengers is considered a high bar for nailing an ending then Game of Thrones' ending was a masterpiece. Even given season 8's many, many shortcomings.
There’s a lot of things I didn’t like about Endgame, and a lot of things I did. If I were to put the GoT ending in Endgame context though, Tony would have defeated Thanos easily without dying in the process, then randomly decided to kill thousands of people , and Cap would have felt the moral obligation to kill him. Then Cap would have given his shield to Dr. Strange because he’s capable of using the Time stone to see the future.

...It’s not that the ending can’t work when it’s GRRM writing it, but as executed it just didn’t. Even just the last two episodes without circling back to how undeveloped they left the Night King’s significance. At least Thanos was a fully fleshed character with motives behind his actions. Cersei too.
Jul 4, 2019
49 posts
13 upvotes
ugly wrote: The reason I was thinking about it is because I recently watched Black Panther and Avengers Infinity War and Avengers Endgame. Since those movies wrapped up around the same time Game of Thrones did, I remember there being a lot of comparisons. I remember a lot of people pointing out how Avengers really nailed the ending and Game of Thrones essentially fell flat on its face.
i agree with this though. GOT is a very good show to me, and the ending was totally flat.
it was unexpected, i was hoping for something different or thought provoking.
its... really.... not good to me :(

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)