• Sep 8th, 2019 11:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1396 posts
1058 upvotes
GTA
M1GOmigs wrote: Sure, they had flaming swords (lol), but that actually probably worked against the defenders, because how demoralizing is it to see that all your guys' lights are being snuffed out one by one?
After the hype of Melisandre showing up and that wave of flame spreading, it was soul crushing to see all those lights go out.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
The Dothraki aren't exactly a tactical bunch. Charging into an open field is pretty much all they do. RE: the battle at High Garden, all they did was charge straight towards the Lannister army as well.

I think a lot of the plotholes stem from the fact that the WWs weren't expected for another little while and it was literally pitch black. You can't have say...a flanking strategy in pitch darkness and when you also haven't set up your troops there ahead of time. Winterfell was caught totally off guard when Thormund told them they were a day ahead of the undead army from what I understood.

Was sending the Dothraki ahead a horrible strategy? Definitely, but when faced with crushing odds and little hope, people panic and they make mistakes.
Maybe they underestimated the wight numbers?
Maybe they hoped the Dothraki would take out a lot more people?
Maybe they hoped the Dothraki would scatter the enemy forces for an easier pinch strategy?

Who knows? There might have been intent or it could have been a complete loss of logic by people who are faced down by supernatural forces they've never encountered before. Imagine holding a formation in the face of something you don't understand let alone something that lives in your nightmares.
Mar 25, 2019
69 posts
235 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote: Question for those who are using CRAVE.

So far I've watched the episodes on my Apple TV 4K, using the Crave Apple TV app - going to the "on-air" menu (LIVE broadcast).

Should I watch the episode from the "Episodes" menu (or was it called "TV Shows") instead? If so, how long after 9pm EST is the full episode posted to the "Episodes" menu?
Lol i watch it from the episodes menu all three episodes and didn't ever bother to check the on air tab.
It is available at 9pm est on the dot in the episodes section. Im watching it on a fire stick with the crave app btw
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
Upon watching again I noticed something, didn’t Arya give the dagger to sansa? What dagger did she use in the night king
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
Heavenleigh85 wrote: Upon watching again I noticed something, didn’t Arya give the dagger to sansa? What dagger did she use in the night king
She gave her a dragon glass dagger, not Cat's Paw dagger.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
uber_shnitz wrote: Who knows? There might have been intent or it could have been a complete loss of logic by people who are faced down by supernatural forces they've never encountered before. Imagine holding a formation in the face of something you don't understand let alone something that lives in your nightmares.
I think that's another thing they just didn't account for, but probably should've - the fact that they're facing an unceasing, untiring supernatural horde that isn't prone to human emotion, won't break ranks, and won't panic. The Unsullied actually acquitted themselves really well all things considered, and they held formation until everyone else could stage a retreat. I wonder how many of them are even left now.... Of all the factions, Dany's army seems to be in shambles, and she's lucky Drogon made it out alive.

I really thought that Bran couldhave been a wealth of knowledge for them, but I guess he's just so weird and aloof that nobody thought to consult the 3 eyed raven...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
4203 posts
2133 upvotes
Toronto, ON
M1GOmigs wrote: Can we talk about the defense of Winterfell? Like WTF was the strategy?

- Send out your cavalry into pitch darkness first, to get absolutely slaughtered with no backup coming
- Put your catapults at the front of your columns, so they could fire once and then get overrun
- Put your entire force of Unsullied in deep rows (so that they can just watch as the rows and rows in front of them continue to dwindle one by one?) but don't put any barriers/stakes on the ground or other obstacles to slow down the wights
- Rely on Dany to light the moat of fire, but don't tell Jon, the other dragon rider, that he could potentially be called upon to light it if she isn't able to
- Put all the vulnerable and valuable civilians in the crypt - a place where the literal dead are buried, in a war where you're fighting a foe that raises the dead
- Defend Bran with archers, in a space that's more suited to close combat melee fighting
- No boiling oil at the walls? Shame...

I give Winterfell's defenders an A for preparation, but their execution was totally off... Awesome episode though!
They should have hired Vikings for the strategy lol
No burning oil, arrows with flame that can illuminate what are in front of them so that they can see.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
vjbharadwaj wrote: Lol i watch it from the episodes menu all three episodes and didn't ever bother to check the on air tab.
It is available at 9pm est on the dot in the episodes section. Im watching it on a fire stick with the crave app btw
so if you really wanted to, at 9pm EST on the dot you could start the episode and fast forward all the way to the last 10 minutes to see how it ends, right?
Mar 25, 2019
69 posts
235 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote: so if you really wanted to, at 9pm EST on the dot you could start the episode and fast forward all the way to the last 10 minutes to see how it ends, right?
Yes you can
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
vjbharadwaj wrote: Yes you can
OK cool ... good thing nobody spoiled the ending on this thread at like 9:10pm lol.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: Can we talk about the defense of Winterfell? Like WTF was the strategy?

- Send out your cavalry into pitch darkness first, to get absolutely slaughtered with no backup coming.
Dothraki bank on fear and being very skilled on horseback. We're seen them launch arrows on horseback. Sit crosslegged or hanging off the side. Heck, they don't even wear armor like regular cavalry.
- Put your catapults at the front of your columns, so they could fire once and then get overrun.
Yea, I have no clue why the seige weapons were only used for one shot, lol.
- Put your entire force of Unsullied in deep rows (so that they can just watch as the rows and rows in front of them continue to dwindle one by one?) but don't put any barriers/stakes on the ground or other obstacles to slow down the wights.
We already saw that the wights don't give af, I mean once the trench was lit they just started piling on in one spot to help the rest cross across. It's an undead army.
- Rely on Dany to light the moat of fire, but don't tell Jon, the other dragon rider, that he could potentially be called upon to light it if she isn't able to.
Jon was aware but it was about protecting Bran with the Dragons.
- Put all the vulnerable and valuable civilians in the crypt - a place where the literal dead are buried, in a war where you're fighting a foe that raises the dead.
I think this was more plothole. No one expected these decomposing bodies to punch through stone tombs...
- Defend Bran with archers, in a space that's more suited to close combat melee fighting.
I think the focus was to have Jon and Dany nearby to roast anyone that got too close to the archers. The tide also heavily shifted quickly in battle.
- No boiling oil at the walls? Shame...
Agreed, Castle Black/The Wall had better defense. Where the heck were the Night's Watch?

I give Winterfell's defenders an A for preparation, but their execution was totally off... Awesome episode though!
They get a pass from me since Ghost planned the entire battle plan. I mean we know this since we saw him up front leading the charge!
M1GOmigs wrote: I think that's another thing they just didn't account for, but probably should've - the fact that they're facing an unceasing, untiring supernatural horde that isn't prone to human emotion, won't break ranks, and won't panic. The Unsullied actually acquitted themselves really well all things considered, and they held formation until everyone else could stage a retreat. I wonder how many of them are even left now.... Of all the factions, Dany's army seems to be in shambles, and she's lucky Drogon made it out alive.

I really thought that Bran couldhave been a wealth of knowledge for them, but I guess he's just so weird and aloof that nobody thought to consult the 3 eyed raven...
What are Bran's abilities? He can warg into people/animals and see what was and what is.

I think he knew what the final outcome was going to be and help lead it but not be specific and tell people. Maybe they will show next episode what he was up to. Some think that he did warg into Undead Viserion to keep Jon busy from getting into the Godswoods to give Arya a chance to do a sneak attack.

Or maybe he just wanted access to better footage of the battle and sent his GoCrows to get a better view!
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
konfusion666 wrote: Question for those who are using CRAVE.

So far I've watched the episodes on my Apple TV 4K, using the Crave Apple TV app - going to the "on-air" menu (LIVE broadcast).

Should I watch the episode from the "Episodes" menu (or was it called "TV Shows") instead? If so, how long after 9pm EST is the full episode posted to the "Episodes" menu?
Crave sucks point blank. Their filter system is mediocre AF. I use the desktop version just by signing in to Crave.ca. You can click it anytime whether on-air live broadcast or via tv shows and click latest current episode. At one point I left for 15 min. Then went back to tv shows and clicked current episode to start over again.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
rebel_rfd wrote: What are Bran's abilities? He can warg into people/animals and see what was and what is.

I think he knew what the final outcome was going to be and help lead it but not be specific and tell people. Maybe they will show next episode what he was up to. Some think that he did warg into Undead Viserion to keep Jon busy from getting into the Godswoods to give Arya a chance to do a sneak attack.

Or maybe he just wanted access to better footage of the battle and sent his GoCrows to get a better view!
Upvoting this for the GoCrow comment alone Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes...

I hope now that the NK business has been handled, we see less of Bran, and he just goes north to be by himself. I'm sick of his crap.

Would be cool though if after all the political intrigue is done, the series ends in a postcredit scene. Closeup of Bran's face, eyes closed. Camera zooms out to show him sitting in some dark hall at the wall or north of, on a throne of his own. Camera continues to zoom out to show that there are people kneeling before him, and he opens his eyes and they're blue.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
M1GOmigs wrote: Would be cool though if after all the political intrigue is done, the series ends in a postcredit scene. Closeup of Bran's face, eyes closed. Camera zooms out to show him sitting in some dark hall at the wall or north of, on a throne of his own. Camera continues to zoom out to show that there are people kneeling before him, and he opens his eyes and they're blue.
Many believed Bran is the NK or controls him. Sooo...
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth wrote: Many believed Bran is the NK or controls him. Sooo...
Yup, I'm hoping the show writers revisit that... This just seemed like an unsatisfying end to a threat that everyone has hammered in since the very first scene in season 1 episode 1
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8297 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: Upvoting this for the GoCrow comment alone Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes...

I hope now that the NK business has been handled, we see less of Bran, and he just goes north to be by himself. I'm sick of his crap.

Would be cool though if after all the political intrigue is done, the series ends in a postcredit scene. Closeup of Bran's face, eyes closed. Camera zooms out to show him sitting in some dark hall at the wall or north of, on a throne of his own. Camera continues to zoom out to show that there are people kneeling before him, and he opens his eyes and they're blue.
Can you not feel Bran's pain?
Old Nan told him a tale of giant ice spiders attacking during the Long Night.
Now he knows she was full of......
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7069 posts
3383 upvotes
Probably Jon the dumbass created this strategy based on how badly he is performing as a commander in Battle of the Bastards - but it seems nobody objected so this is everyone's fault.

No scouting of any kind it appears prior to allowing their cavalry to charge into the enemy. Calvary are used to outflank an enemy, not take the role of a frontal assault.

Couldn't they have fired left over debris of dragonglass from catapults and waited for the inevitable charge of the undead army? They had mountains of this stuff and could have fired at the enemy from afar for a very long time.
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12875 posts
505 upvotes
Toronto
was it just me or i get the impression that winterfell wasn't all that big but in this eps seems huge
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)