PC & Video Games

Games that should of never existed/killed the franchise!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2017 9:16 am
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3651 posts
1429 upvotes
BC

Games that should of never existed/killed the franchise!

Like many of you, one of my favourite games of all time is Chrono Trigger. Chrono Cross was an abomination and single handedly killed the franchise. That game should of never existed. It removed Toriyama's art style and time travelling and replaced it with parallel worlds that were largely the same to reuse assets. Worst of all, it added too many playable characters to the point that you didn't care about any of them. It does have killer intro music though.
23 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
Chrono Cross has one of the best game soundtracks and is a very good game
but it kind of ruins the franchise when it is implied that the cast from Chrono Trigger were all killed before the events of Chrono Cross.

Cross has something like 40+ playable characters but most of them were terrible character designs. Too many weird playable animal type characters and
that one kid's mom that randomly decides she wants to join your party.

Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Deus Ex: Invisible War aka DX2. Nostalgia has tamed many peoples opinion of this game but to me its still a turd. Huge emphasis on aspects of the game that didn't work well the first time, major technical problems and the weird unified ammo system that no one ever asked for. It didn't kill the franchise but it sure as hell shouldn't have existed.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
As for games that should never have existed or ruined a franchise:

Most 3D Sonic the Hedgehog games
Crash Bandicoot games made by Activision
The most recent Tony Hawk game
Resident Evil 6
Star Fox Zero

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Gears of War Judgement - Unnecessary and absolutely awful entry. Thankfully GOW4 made up for it

God Of War Ascension - hard to say exactly what I didn't like about this game but I lost interest after a couple hours despite finishing every other game in the series

Saints Row 4 - Took what was a great gang themed GTA style game and went too far with the slapstick comedy super hero crap

Assassins Creed Rouge, Unity, Syndicate ect - No interest in the last few releases because franchise fatigue. Way too many unnecessary repetitive sequels.

Street Fighter 5 - one of the most disappointing releases I've ever spent money on, thankfully was able to refund. The low sales and poor player reception speaks for itself.

Battlefield Hardline - Weird that this game exists and not sure who it was intended for. Played the Beta a bit and never felt like playing it ever again despite spending tons of hours on every other BF game.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7849 posts
8797 upvotes
Star Fox Adventures
Final Fantasy X-2
Super Paper Mario 2
Guild Wars 2 (killed it for me even though it was mildly successful)
Diablo III
Brave Fencer Musashi 2 (Samurai Legend)
Legend of Dragoon 2
Chrono Cross
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3651 posts
1429 upvotes
BC
superfresh89 wrote: Star Fox Adventures
Final Fantasy X-2
Super Paper Mario 2
Diablo III
Legend of Dragoon 2
Chrono Cross

Uhhh there was no legend of dragoon 2 right?
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3651 posts
1429 upvotes
BC
Redmask wrote: Deus Ex: Invisible War aka DX2. Nostalgia has tamed many peoples opinion of this game but to me its still a turd. Huge emphasis on aspects of the game that didn't work well the first time, major technical problems and the weird unified ammo system that no one ever asked for. It didn't kill the franchise but it sure as hell shouldn't have existed.
I'm playing throug mankind divided right now, and I'm not sure any of the games can live up to the first.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7849 posts
8797 upvotes
Ren wrote: Uhhh there was no legend of dragoon 2 right?
Oh lol. That's right. The big disappointment was when they cancelled LoD2 after teasing for years.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: Gears of War Judgement - Unnecessary and absolutely awful entry. Thankfully GOW4 made up for it

Battlefield Hardline - Weird that this game exists and not sure who it was intended for. Played the Beta a bit and never felt like playing it ever again despite spending tons of hours on every other BF game.
I honestly didn't find GoW Judgement awful. It was mediocre, but I think what killed it was that people were kind of tired of Gears at that point. I liked the new mode they added, the asynchronious horde mode whose name I forget. And the mechanic where you can choose before each encounter to modify the area to make it harder, but have more exposition or whatever was actually a really neat addition that was then abandoned.

As for Hardline, my friends and I enjoyed it for a bit. It at least had one of the best Battlefield campaigns up to that point (Bad Company 2 was good too), which tried some new things like stealth and arrests.

I think these are games that other people jump on because everyone says they're awful. They are what they are - easy ways to cash in on a popular franchise, but they didn't kill the franchise. Same with other games you mentioned...

Now on to the forum topic... I never played it, but why aren't there any more Tenchu games after Tenchu Z? Or is Demon/Dark Souls responsible for killing off the Tenchu franchise?
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: I think these are games that other people jump on because everyone says they're awful. They are what they are - easy ways to cash in on a popular franchise, but they didn't kill the franchise. Same with other games you mentioned...
Agreed they didn't kill the franchises because both are still going strong but I do think they were completely unnecessary releases that followed way too close after actually good ones. These games even had decent reviews at the time, I just didn't see the point of them when GOW3 and BF4 weren't even 2 years old, still going strong and still better games in pretty much every way. I think I would've felt less strongly about it if they released as $20 expansion packs rather than being pushed as full priced standalone games.

I honestly forgot Hardline even had single player tbh and I will probably give that a shot at some point since I generally enjoy short mindless single player shooters and it's on Origin access
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: Agreed they didn't kill the franchises because both are still going strong but I do think they were completely unnecessary releases that followed way too close after actually good ones. These games even had decent reviews at the time, I just didn't see the point of them when GOW3 and BF4 weren't even 2 years old, still going strong and still better games in pretty much every way. I think I would've felt less strongly about it if they released as $20 expansion packs rather than being pushed as full priced standalone games.

I honestly forgot Hardline even had single player tbh and I will probably give that a shot at some point since I generally enjoy short mindless single player shooters and it's on Origin access
When I say it had one of the best BF campaigns, mind you, that doesn't say much. Many BF campaigns that even bothered w/ SP have been terrible. Thankfully BF1 was pretty good.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3326 posts
1885 upvotes
Ren wrote: I'm playing throug mankind divided right now, and I'm not sure any of the games can live up to the first.
The original Dues Ex remains to be my favorite game of all time to this day.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
superfresh89 wrote: Star Fox Adventures
Final Fantasy X-2
Super Paper Mario 2
Diablo III
Legend of Dragoon 2
Chrono Cross
diablo 3 shown innovation, first arpg where you can dual weld credit cards
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7409 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: God Of War Ascension - hard to say exactly what I didn't like about this game but I lost interest after a couple hours despite finishing every other game in the series
Funny you mention this one! I have started it on multiple occasions and played the first hour or so and then I just forget to pick it back up. Now with the PS4 backlog, it's been shelved even though I've played all the rest when they came out. GOWIII was a day 1 CE purchase for me, good times.
Koodo Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7409 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
raspeed wrote: Pepsiman

Seeing this brought back some serious memories. I remember this on my PS1 as a 7-8 year old. Damn.
Koodo Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7409 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
Batman Arkham Origins comes to mind...it didn't kill the franchise, but I could have lived without it. Such a downgrade after two amazing games (different devs I know).

Another one that comes to mind is Tony Hawk, anything after American Wasteland (for me personally). It just stopped being fun, but man did I spend hours on hours playing Underground.
Koodo Mobile
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Ren wrote: Games that should of never existed/killed the franchise!
ಠ_ಠ

Mechassault and its sequel should never have been associated with the Mechwarrior brand. They should have been marketed independently. Mechwarrior 4 was also a downgrade from Mechwarrior 3.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)