Gaming computer for 1500

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Mar 12, 2016
5 posts

Gaming computer for 1500

Hello all, I'm looking to build a gaming pc. My knowlegde of computers is not too great so i would like your guys opinions. Mostly for games like league of legends and world of war craft. I need a setup that can easily sustain 60+ fps on ultra settings and isn't too heavy on the maintenence side. Preferred CPU Intel, video card can be a Radon or Nivida.The setup should include a monitor too. I'm not looking for anything crazy as my budget is only 1500 canadian inculding taxes.Thanks!!
34 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38384 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Are you okay with an i5 or an i3?

You're playing older games so you don't need the latest graphics card but if you want the best it could easily eat up half your budget in just the graphics card
Apr 24, 2012
24 posts
13 upvotes
Scarborough
It's not an ideal time to invest in a computer with the Zen, Polaris, and Pascal architectures being released this year.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2013
1615 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: It is never an ideal time.
Yes, there is, when the video cards jump from 28nm to 16 is a good time but not before. Same goes for any major change in standards, USB 2.0 to 3.0 etc.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
Deific wrote: It's not an ideal time to invest in a computer with the Zen, Polaris, and Pascal architectures being released this year.
i find it's not an ideal time to buy for different reason, the dollar is in the dump, but if the op needs one now, he should get it
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Gee wrote: It is never an ideal time.

Buy what you need today, there is no future proofing.
Basically this. You're always chasing the dragon you can never catch.
Although nowadays it's getting less true. There just isn't the giant leaps and bounds there used to be.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38384 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
TruBrush wrote: Yes, there is, when the video cards jump from 28nm to 16 is a good time but not before. Same goes for any major change in standards, USB 2.0 to 3.0 etc.
You're suggesting he invest $1500 on old tech?
Jan 10, 2016
82 posts
27 upvotes
Fort McMurray, AB
Gee wrote: You're suggesting he invest $1500 on old tech?
Yes. Did you read op's original post? Sounds like he isnt a guy who needs the fastest and best.

Buy old tech save more money. Current gen can run wow and lol easily.

At the current exchange rate, i'd be more concerned about getting less bang for my buck than technology changing. A gtx 970 or 960 will last quite a while, and playing non intensive games for a damn long time. If he wants triple monitors at 4k, sure wait. But IF the price is right and you're looking to only go 1080, I'd drop on one now.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2013
1615 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
I'm theorizing that there is such thing as the best time to buy tech, such as when the tech jumps significantly, although GTX 1080 would eat two thirds of his bidget. I wouldn't touch 28nm with a 6 foot pole.
Mar 12, 2016
5 posts
TruBrush wrote: Yes, there is, when the video cards jump from 28nm to 16 is a good time but not before. Same goes for any major change in standards, USB 2.0 to 3.0 etc.
Also Zen, Polaris, and Pascal architectures .When are these due to arrive? Also these changes will probably cost a lot when released.
Mar 12, 2016
5 posts
Gee wrote: Are you okay with an i5 or an i3?

You're playing older games so you don't need the latest graphics card but if you want the best it could easily eat up half your budget in just the graphics card
Prefer an i5. As for the graphic card I was considering a Radeon R9 390 or Nvidia GTX 970
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
Gee wrote: It is never an ideal time. Buy what you need today, there is no future proofing.
I probably would wait - Pascal is supposedly a huge upgrade from Maxwell. The wait shouldn't be long - 2 to 3 months.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
griffy wrote: Yes. Did you read op's original post? Sounds like he isnt a guy who needs the fastest and best.

Buy old tech save more money. Current gen can run wow and lol easily.

At the current exchange rate, i'd be more concerned about getting less bang for my buck than technology changing. A gtx 970 or 960 will last quite a while, and playing non intensive games for a damn long time. If he wants triple monitors at 4k, sure wait. But IF the price is right and you're looking to only go 1080, I'd drop on one now.
wow and lol is not exactly benchmark of gaming, but 970/290 would be a good place to start
Sep 15, 2013
832 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: bump ram to 16gb, bump gpu to 970, bump monitor to 27" since his budget allows for
Everyone is talking about waiting for next gen components to come out. Why spend the whole budget if what is listed is perfect for what he needs.

16GB of RAM is unnecessary and a 970 is overkill for him at 1080p

Monitor size is subjective.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I would.
It's silly buying the latest and greatest.
I'm always a generation behind. Let someone else pay the depreciation.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
810 upvotes
BabylonDown wrote: Everyone is talking about waiting for next gen components to come out. Why spend the whole budget if what is listed is perfect for what he needs.

16GB of RAM is unnecessary and a 970 is overkill for him at 1080p

Monitor size is subjective.
If you're curious about RAM for Gaming here's a nice little overview - the results might surprise some:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPenpMMJYEI

For gaming generally it doesn't make a huge difference but you may want 16GB if you do things like Virtualization and such, and or have extra moola to throw around. Is it *necessary * for most general gaming workloads today? No
death_hawk wrote: I would.
It's silly buying the latest and greatest.
I'm always a generation behind. Let someone else pay the depreciation.
I kind of follow the same as well, the money you save you can start saving up for the next upgrade (and upgrade more often). Also the market is kind of stagnant at the moment, heck AMD keeps rebranding most of their cards up until the 3xx series while only introducing a couple totally new GPUs.

BUT if you're looking for bragging rights, then yeah you should get the latest and greatest.
Sep 15, 2013
832 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
tkyoshi wrote: If you're curious about RAM for Gaming here's a nice little overview - the results might surprise some:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPenpMMJYEI

For gaming generally it doesn't make a huge difference but you may want 16GB if you do things like Virtualization and such, and or have extra moola to throw around. Is it *necessary * for most general gaming workloads today? No

I kind of follow the same as well, the money you save you can start saving up for the next upgrade (and upgrade more often). Also the market is kind of stagnant at the moment, heck AMD keeps rebranding most of their cards up until the 3xx series while only introducing a couple totally new GPUs.

BUT if you're looking for bragging rights, then yeah you should get the latest and greatest.
Exactly. Save where you can and put that money towards 2nd hand new gen equipment. Rinse and repeat.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)