Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
8714 posts
572 upvotes
Vancouver

which gaming console ?

I have gift cards to spend. I enjoy video consoles as a "casual" gamer. ive had most of the consoles from the different platforms BUT kinda stuck now on what I should buy.

I currently own the xbox one. Basic version and really like the xbox platform and games. I was thinking of upgrading to the S or even the X. But does it really make much sense as a casual gamer to upgrade? I have a very good plasma TV but no 4K which seems to be one the bigger additions to the X?

What bout a PS4 or PS4 Pro? Again does it make much sense to buy the Pro? not having 4K TV now or anytime soon. I am somewhat leaning towards PS4 or Pro just because I don't have one and the game selection etc.

What about the Nintendo Switch? lol my last option.

Thoughts :)
29 replies
Mar 29, 2015
199 posts
67 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
The XBox X has come out with some great features like 1440p support and freesync as well. If you have a 1440p monitor or plan on getting a new one that is something to consider. Are you getting rid of the old XBox? You'd have 2 controllers if not.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
8714 posts
572 upvotes
Vancouver
Hmm not sure what I would do with the Xbox one I have. Tough decision as I ave so many Xbox games and no ps games. Thus why I’m leaning towards ps4 or the pro.
Yes I have two Xbox controllers but no monitor. Just my plasma which is great for consoles.

I guess there is no right answer.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2155 posts
236 upvotes
If you only play casually and already have an XBO it seems ridiculous to upgrade. Even more so if you don't have a 4k display.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
8714 posts
572 upvotes
Vancouver
Yeah. I was kinda leaning that way. Think I’ll buy a ps4 or the pro with my gift cards. I’m kinda annoyed with Sony which I won’t get into. But at least I can play mlb baseball etc.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8046 posts
920 upvotes
Victoria
For me it's the ps4 or the ps4 pro. I was an xbox guy. Went from a dreamcast to an xbox to a 360. Bought a ps3 as a bluray player and then got sucked into the the sony exclusives that dominiated the last few years of the last gen and the current gen of consoles.

inFamous, God of War, Uncharted, Ratchet&Clank, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne etc....

Nothing really like them on the xbox (at least not on this generation). Get a ps4 at least to play those :)
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
2463 posts
1262 upvotes
Toronto and London
Can't go wrong with Sony as they have best exclusives imo.

Nintendo switch is good too.

Depends on type of gamer you are.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
1455 posts
817 upvotes
Windsor
Anything other than PS4 pro and Switch.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5032 posts
729 upvotes
calgary
I'd just get a regular PS4 or a Switch depending on which has more appealing games to you, well also keeping in mind that the portable option on the Switch is great for some people. I love the portability on my switch, I wouldn't play it near as much without it.

I have an XB1X (as well as a 4K TV) and well the improvements between that and a regular XB1 are pretty massive in the end it feels a bit superfluous.

I'd avoid the Pro as well for the reason above unless you can score a good deal on it.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2007
1083 posts
142 upvotes
If you plan to play games just buy the console with the games you want to play. As you said you have an Xbox One already I don't see why would you need to buy another console if you are only casually playing it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
8714 posts
572 upvotes
Vancouver
How has the switch been received? Will it just fade away?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6612 posts
1610 upvotes
For current gen consoles, for gaming I use PS4 Pro the most.
Nintendo Switch 2nd
XBox One X the least. I use the One X to play 4K UHD blu-rays and other apps more than I do for gaming.

Nintendo Switch has the convenience of playing both docked and portable and
will have the best local multiplayer games if you care about those (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Tropical Freeze, Kirby Star Allies, etc.).
However, with the Nintendo Switch you would probably want to get some Pro Controllers which are $90 each, or another $100 each for a set of extra joycons
and Nintendo first party games and accessories rarely drop in price. You will also need a micro SD card for additional space.

Nintendo's best first party games do rival or exceed some of Sony's best first party games (except in the story and production values department).
trellaine201 wrote:
May 2nd, 2018 12:37 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
1455 posts
817 upvotes
Windsor
trellaine201 wrote:
Nothing to play this year unless u want to play indie games or remasters which u can get way cheaper on xbox/ps.
The fact that VC4 and DQ XI delayed pretty much tells u Japanese devs cant handle NS in the near future. Pokemon and Metroid are still far off. Wait till next year to see if u want it.
Aug 20, 2009
6600 posts
1257 upvotes
Grimsby
trellaine201 wrote:
It's been very well received, already sold 15M+ units. I highly doubt it will fade away, strong support in Japan and rest of world.

In your situation I would get a PS4, they are the clear leader in both breadth and quality right now. Failing that get a Switch. You already have an Xbox anyway and the X as an upgrade isn't enough to bother in your situation IMO.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)