None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16124 posts
359 upvotes
Etobicoke

Gap charging more online than in-store

I read this article and found it kind of interesting. Do other stores do this? I don't really pay attention (cuz I'm such an impulsive shopper) to price differences either online or in-store. If I see something, like it, the price is ok, I buy it. I do however, have a vague recollection of having to exchange a top from Guess last Christmas for a smaller size. My mom ordered it online but rather than send it back I just took it to the store to exchange it. It was cheaper but I'm thinking it's because it was just an after-Christmas sale. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.momfinds.com/2010/online-shoppers-beware/

[QUOTE]Online Shoppers Beware! Gap.com Has A Sneaky Online Price Mark-Up
Last week I told you all about my hunt to get my daughter this great shearling coat I saw in my local Gap store. The short version of the story is they didn’t have the coat in her size anywhere in N.Y.C. so I had my mom get it for me from a Gap store by her…two states away.

Well, you’re probably wondering why I didn’t just order it online. Here’s why:

The jacket is $59.50 if you buy it in a Gap store, but if you buy it online it’s $64.50.

I know, I know, it’s only a $5 price difference, but it infuriates me that Gap is selling the exact same coat for $5 more on their website. Add shipping to that and it’s a $12 mark-up just for shopping online. What gives?

And just to be sure it wasn’t just this coat, I did some research. I bought my daughter the cable knit hat for $16.50 in a Gap store.

If you buy it online, you’ll spend $24.50 for it. That’s an $8 difference for the exact same hat.

Of course, because I can be a little maniacal about my online shopping, I emailed Gap’s customer service to see why the jacket was more online and it they would honor the lower price offered in stores. 2 days later I got a horrible response about not being able to sell me the coat at the lower price with no explanation for why it was more expensive online. They also offered me a 10% off discount, which never came but that’s another story.

So a word to all you smart shoppers out there–go to your Gap store first! Gap.com is a total rip-off because they’re selling the exact same merchandise for $5-$10 more than in the stores. Maybe they thought no one would notice because of the whole logo controversy, but we’re smarter than you think Gap.[/QUOTE]
Avril Lavigne Black Star Parfum & Cineplex Night out for Two $126, Leapster Gaming System worth $59.99 US; Trip to Cuba ARV $2000; Cineplex Movie ticket (iCoke/Nestea contest)$10; Palaria Clothing Hoody $69;Joe Fresh GC $25; 4 tics for Ted Nugent Concert; Joe Fresh Make-up Kit $50.00; $25 Bath & Body Works GC (Fresh Fiction contest for DiAnn Mills); $1000 in TD Exlusive Offers contest; $100 necklace from an on-the-spot draw while shopping at Sears
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
1860 posts
535 upvotes
Costco charges more online than in-store, but their online price includes shipping and handling.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8008 posts
1091 upvotes
This is not that unusual. Even Costco does this, their online prices are generally higher then their in-store prices. I noticed this when I was in the market for a dehumidifier a couple of months back, I found one on Costco's website that I like for $199, went to the store to buy it and found it selling for $179 there.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2006
1418 posts
1797 upvotes
It is true, however, it could go either way.

For example: Last night, my hubby wanted to drop by Old Navy (it's been a while and we HARDLY shop there so it was out of the blue) to get some inexpensive "i don't care" v-neck sweaters. We went to the store and the only available colours were: green/blue strips, solid green, brown, an odd off white colour or funky argyle patterns. My hubby thought the sweaters sold in-stores had the same price tag like their on-line store. Sadly, it was $24 to $29 in-store while the ones he eyed on online were priced and discounted at $16.

However, I was surprised to find something I like in the clearance section ( OT- all clearance items are additional 50% off @ ON, sales end Oct 30 ;) !). My zipper jacket was red tagged at $19.99 plus another 50% off, in-store price; as for the online price for same jacket - $34.50.

Almost forgot, we managed to used the $10 off $50 ON coupon on top of the 50% off too. I guess ON isn't that bad after all :) .

As for The Gap:

Three days ago, I purchased a t-shirt at the store for $3.97 while the same one was priced @ $19.50 on the Gap website. On the other hand, my husband almost bought a sweater for $29.99 in store while the online price is $19.97. Anyway, this is not including the 20% off coupon :) .

Just gotta price hunt and hope for the best.
"Women are like teabags; you don't know how strong they are until you put them in hot water." :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8008 posts
1091 upvotes
Kenny Blankenship wrote: Chapters

Yeah, Chapters is reversed, cheaper online then in-store. I still don't understand how Chapter Indigo B&M stores make money, I usually see a healthy number of people in these stores but hardly ever see anyone buy any books or anything from them.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18337 posts
10932 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Winkle wrote: I still don't understand how Chapter Indigo B&M stores make money, I usually see a healthy number of people in these stores but hardly ever see anyone buy any books or anything from them.
They make it up on the volume and on coffee sales ;)

But I also don't understand how Chapters/Indigo online makes money. Amazon.ca is usually cheaper and faster.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1058 posts
50 upvotes
London ON
is that lady really smarter than gap thinks?

running a website isn't cheap
my assumption :)
when a store first gets the sweater you have in store staff to put a sticker on it and hang it up and thats pretty much it

for the website (especially new ones) you have to take the sweater out take proper pictures of it repack it, load the pictures, test the website and the shopping cart over and over to make sure there are no mistakes and then hiring shippers to send out the orders that do come through the online store

maybe gap doesn't want to absorb the cost of all that so they just charge an extra $5 per item
and depending on where your local gap is, dealing with crowds, gas prices etc the $5 may not even be a big deal?
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
80 upvotes
I've had the opposite experience at an American Home Depot. I was buying a Milwaukee hole-saw kit (already 1/2 the price of Cdn stores) based on the price I saw online.

Excluding sales tax, I noticed the price at the checkout was ~$10 higher than what I saw online. I brought this to the attention of the clerk, who called over a supervisor, who then checked and gave me the online price.

Contrary to the above post, I beleive running a website IS a lot less costly than a bricks and mortar store; that's how Amazon was built. Items are shipped from centralized distribution centres and there are much lower costs than leasing and staffing physical stores.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17737 posts
24801 upvotes
ONTARIO
This doesn't have to do with Gap but I just recently found out that American Eagle (ae.com) charges duty to all Canadian orders even though they freakin ship out of Ontario. So Gap isn't the only retailer pulling BS.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8008 posts
1091 upvotes
apn64 wrote: I've had the opposite experience at an American Home Depot. I was buying a Milwaukee hole-saw kit (already 1/2 the price of Cdn stores) based on the price I saw online.

Excluding sales tax, I noticed the price at the checkout was ~$10 higher than what I saw online. I brought this to the attention of the clerk, who called over a supervisor, who then checked and gave me the online price.

Contrary to the above post, I beleive running a website IS a lot less costly than a bricks and mortar store; that's how Amazon was built. Items are shipped from centralized distribution centres and there are much lower costs than leasing and staffing physical stores.

Occam's Razor - The companies probably don't want their own online store to compete with their brick and mortar stores
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7737 posts
1302 upvotes
Burnaby
Many US sites are cheaper than in store - bestbuy.com competes with other online retailers, but the important thing to note is that the stores will not price match their own website
Oct 24, 2007
813 posts
56 upvotes
BC
The prices have and always will FLUCTUATE.

Meaning.... sometimes stores have sales or clearances going on that are not applicable online and vice versa.
Prices are never set in stone and the can go up and go down.

That said I somewhat doubt that the original MSRP is 59.50. It most likely is 64.50 but a sale or some other kind of discount is going on at that store.

Discounts from the original MSRP or retail price tend to happen often and go up or down... BUT USUALLY even if all these trends are accounted for, you will find the lowest price to be online.

I had a clearance vest I wanted to buy from the Gap. It was 29.97 online and I believe 32.97 or 33.97 instore.
Penalty Box
May 8, 2006
1094 posts
99 upvotes
Winkle wrote: Occam's Razor - The companies probably don't want their own online store to compete with their brick and mortar stores

Eh? What does Occam's razor have to do with this?
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3657 posts
1133 upvotes
Montreal
bylo wrote: They make it up on the volume and on coffee sales ;)

But I also don't understand how Chapters/Indigo online makes money. Amazon.ca is usually cheaper and faster.

I don't even buy Amazon.ca but Amazon.com

Got my daughter a book at Amazon.com book + shipping to my door cost me around $55
Same book from Chapters would have cost me over $60 Free shipping in store & I have to go pick-up there.