Fashion & Apparel

Gap Inc. Announces the Closure of 200 Gap and Banana Republic Stores as Focus Shifts to Old Navy

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2017 6:52 pm
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Sep 6, 2017
2 posts
25 upvotes
Maple Grove, QC

Gap Inc. Announces the Closure of 200 Gap and Banana Republic Stores as Focus Shifts to Old Navy

who's next?
13 replies
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1191 upvotes
aGincourt
Gap and ON sell 90% similar products anyways, 90% of my wardrobe is from Gap or ON. it's a waste to have both a Gap and ON in the same mall. Same thing why FS is gone and only BB exists now, it was a waste with both being from the same parent company.
Jan 16, 2009
87 posts
23 upvotes
Swswswish wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 7:43 pm
Gap and ON sell 90% similar products anyways, 90% of my wardrobe is from Gap or ON. it's a waste to have both a Gap and ON in the same mall.
Agreed. Quite a few of their basics are very similar, but with Gap charging a premium. I recently was in the market for some navy khakis, and tried a pair from the Gap which I wasn't too impressed with (fit/colour was off). I browsed ON's website, found similar khakis with a better colour and quite a bit cheaper, and was very happy with what I received. In today's economy, people are out to save as much as they can, no reason to pay extra for similar clothing. I like their strategy of scaling back on the Gap and focusing more on ON.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7973 posts
2819 upvotes
Toronto
Jean Machine will be next.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4859 posts
734 upvotes
Really? I thought Old Navy was the shittiest. I haven't stepped in since high school(!) though, so maybe I will see if they do have similar basics as The Gap.

A bit sad about Banana Republic though, they have more clothes better-suited to casual professional wear, but I usually buy online anyway, waiting for the sales. That is probably their angle with the closures.
Aug 10, 2004
394 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
I've noticed that the quality is better with GAP overall compared to ON. I don't normally shop ON myself anymore, usually GAP. BR has good products but I don't buy at regular price knowing that they always go on sale. Quality is better but overall I think GAP is best for me out of the 3 brands. For the baby, ON is great since they outgrow it quickly and quality doesn't matter as much. I don't mind that they're closing the stores, I buy most of their items online. They have a really good return policy and it's no hassle.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
8938 posts
324 upvotes
Mississauga
Not surprised especially for BR that operates 99% of the time on promo of 40% or 50% off
RFD 36-0-0
Ebay 20-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1191 upvotes
aGincourt
I agree Gap stuff seems just slightly better quality. But both stores have discount sales often enough that I shop at both. And the discounts are actually good, unlike other stores where you have to buy one pair of jeans at $80 and get a 2nd pair at 30% off. I've been wearing the same pair of jeans from Gap for over 5 years and it cost me $30 I think. And it got sick fadez over time that people will pay a premium for...
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15693 posts
4437 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Swswswish wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 6:13 pm
And it got sick fadez over time that people will pay a premium for...
U follow fire bolts regimen in my sig?
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6754 posts
975 upvotes
We joking refer BR as the "40% off store" when we see one.

At this point they are no longer tricking consumers into thinking you have a sale, we all know they are adjusting for their overly inflated reg price and the 40% off is really THE reg price but we should probably wait until their 50% off or more...
XxXSnake23XxX wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 4:19 pm
Not surprised especially for BR that operates 99% of the time on promo of 40% or 50% off
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
i don't see any mention in the article that any of the closings are in Canada.
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11023 posts
1522 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I don't shop at any of the three. However, I know about Old Navy outperforming the other two brands, so this new strategy comes as no surprise.

JCrew for women has been performing poorly, and it seems like a comparable brand to Banana Republic womenswear.

Women nowadays seem to prefer spending less money on individual clothing items, opting for fast fashion clothes made of cheap fabrics like polyester/rayon/modal/etc. They splurge on high recognition designer items (commonly in the accessories category, and with high resale value or value retention) like Chanel purses, etc. You can easily see why this also explains Canada Goose's current success -- high brand recognition and high resale value. No one is interested in buying your Banana Republic blouse on the resale market at a decent price, let alone be interested in buying it new with tags or used at all.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2307 posts
147 upvotes
Eh, not a fan of Old Navy but it seems to stay somewhat busy whenever I cruise there for a bit of browsing. I never really do manage to finalize a purchase from there since the quality and fitting leaves me feeling doubtful.