None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6030 posts
43 upvotes
Ottawa
Broker9o5 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2006 10:11 pm
So what do you recommend for a garage that has a room above it. I want a quiet system.

Thanks.
any belt drives should be good...stay away from chain drives...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
468 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Broker9o5 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2006 10:11 pm
So what do you recommend for a garage that has a room above it. I want a quiet system.
Belt drives are definately quieter than a chain drive.

I am also going to be experimenting with some rubber grommets to attach to the ceiling to further reduce vibration noise transfer. That's a little while off though.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
468 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
dav1209 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2006 10:29 pm
but mine is chain drive genie not the scew drive like other post mentioning
is it different or the same for both?
The rant I made states what applies to what. I personally hate them both. But that's just me and my experience.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15126 posts
1828 upvotes
Oshawa
BuildingHomes wrote:
Dec 11th, 2006 10:40 pm
Belt drives are definately quieter than a chain drive.

I am also going to be experimenting with some rubber grommets to attach to the ceiling to further reduce vibration noise transfer. That's a little while off though.
The grommets work. They're far from perfect, but better than not having them.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1183 posts
79 upvotes
GTA
BuildingHomes wrote:
Oct 24th, 2006 12:03 pm
I asked at Sears a few weeks ago, they said $120. Go figure.
I bought one a month or so ago, planned on having Sears install it but it was $120 for the install, plus $20 labour to install the exterior key release. So... I did it myself! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
468 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
slim_shady wrote:
Dec 12th, 2006 7:46 pm
I bought one a month or so ago, planned on having Sears install it but it was $120 for the install, plus $20 labour to install the exterior key release. So... I did it myself! :cheesygri
Heh, I don't charge extra to install that.. it takes all of 5 minutes to do it and I would rather people get it and not have to worry about paying extra as opposed to not having it at all because they had to pay extra.
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
33 upvotes
The chain vs belt drive debate rasies it's head again? Anyway I have a chain drive installed by "buildinghomes" back in Oct when we moved into our new house, it's been working like a charm, and I can vouch that he does a GREAT job.

We also had our house wired for CAT5E by him, so if you are looking to have an install done, don't fret, be rest assured you will get quality work.

Back into hibernation now ;)
Dec 8, 2003
917 posts
7 upvotes
slim_shady wrote:
Dec 12th, 2006 7:46 pm
I used to work in hardware at Sears, and we always suggested to do the install with someone else, or by yourself.

There'd be the occassional customer who insisted that we do it, because for some reason they thought that paying sears $120 would get them a better install than paying the same guy we contract to do the job $60. Go figure.

We also used to sell a ton of GDO's to installers who'd pop by and basically buy anything that's on sale, then mark it up to their customers.

With respect to chain vs. belt...I dunno...something about rubber doesn't sit well with me...I know it's industrial and heavy grade, but basic chemistry (or is it physics??) teaches me that thing will expand and contract with heat and cold.

In either case, I'm a fan of a good 'ole, noisy, ugly, PROBLEM FREE, RELIABLE chain drive from Craftsman (made by Chamberlain).
Jun 12, 2006
142 posts
1 upvote
I saw a 1/2 HP Chain Drive GDO (Chamberlain Power Drive) on sale for $125 with two single button remotes, and the laser beam thing to reverse the door when there is an obstruction.

So my question is why is this GDO so cheap? It seems to have everything I need. I don't want the keypad that mounts outside the door.

Also, what is the difference between the Chamberlain product line and the Liftmaster product line? I know that the Liftmaster has a lifetime warranty on motor and belt. And also that the Liftmaster rail is a one piece rail rather than a multi piece. But what else? Is it worth paying extra money for Liftmaster rather than Chamberlain?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
468 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
ptxpress wrote:
Dec 14th, 2006 9:50 am
I used to work in hardware at Sears, and we always suggested to do the install with someone else, or by yourself.
You mean you didn't want the $5 SPIF for every installation that you sold? :) I didn't want to sell the installs at the time because the paperwork was a pain in the ass to fill out.
ptxpress wrote:
Dec 14th, 2006 9:50 am
With respect to chain vs. belt...I dunno...something about rubber doesn't sit well with me...I know it's industrial and heavy grade, but basic chemistry (or is it physics??) teaches me that thing will expand and contract with heat and cold.
Metal also expands and contracts with the cold.. so that argument is kinda moot :) I've installed over 100 belt drives in the last few years without any issues that I am aware of.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1183 posts
79 upvotes
GTA
BuildingHomes wrote:
Dec 14th, 2006 3:49 pm
I've installed over 100 belt drives in the last few years without any issues that I am aware of.
Maybe because they're all trapped in their garage ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
468 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
slim_shady wrote:
Dec 14th, 2006 9:12 pm
Maybe because they're all trapped in their garage ;)
Hey, I always make sure people clearly understand the use of the emergency release handle before I leave :)
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2005
1191 posts
22 upvotes
Sears charged me $100 on my bill....then charged an additional $50 after the fact...which of course I'm fighting right now.