Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 4, 2007
413 posts
25 upvotes

Garage Door Opener installer

Hi,

Looking for someone to install a garage door opener for me in Markham. Anyone have any recommendations?
429 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
We used this guy from kijjji and recommend him. The installation was done very nicely and it's working like a charm. We did pay the extra $35 to have the emergency manual opener installed as well, but just to install the GDO is $60 and thats the lowest I've seen.

Here's his info:
416-879-5555 THOMAS
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
470 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Yes I install openers. A lot.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Aug 31, 2008
544 posts
264 upvotes
Barrie
Hello everyone,
I am in need of a garage door installer too...I live in Barrie...I do not have a lot of money and have a health condition that means I suffer in the cold, so opening and closing the metal garage door is brutal on my hands...I always park in the garage because of the cold.

I have a opener from Canadian tire and when I contacted someone or more than one company they said that I would have to get an electrician first to bring the power closer to where the unit would be hanging before the installation. I even had one company say they would not install the Genie brand as it was not a good one. So what do I do with a 200.00 unit, they are still selling them so they can't be that bad.

Good install, reasonable price and the whole thing done at once is what I am looking for...but I must be assured that the person will be honest and do a excellent job. Any advice or recommendations?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
Halifax55 wrote: Hello everyone,
I am in need of a garage door installer too...I live in Barrie...I do not have a lot of money and have a health condition that means I suffer in the cold, so opening and closing the metal garage door is brutal on my hands...I always park in the garage because of the cold.

I have a opener from Canadian tire and when I contacted someone or more than one company they said that I would have to get an electrician first to bring the power closer to where the unit would be hanging before the installation. I even had one company say they would not install the Genie brand as it was not a good one. So what do I do with a 200.00 unit, they are still selling them so they can't be that bad.

Good install, reasonable price and the whole thing done at once is what I am looking for...but I must be assured that the person will be honest and do a excellent job. Any advice or recommendations?
We went through the same situation where many said they wont install the Genie one we picked up from CT..so we ended up returning it and was lucky to be able to pick up the $99 Chamberlain one from HD.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
470 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
mmhassa2 wrote: said they wont install the Genie one we picked up from CT
Yes. I too will no longer install Genie. Even if you paid me double. It's not worth the headaches having to come back and deal with it when there is a problem.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
470 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Drthorne wrote: hey, I don't know where you get your hardware from, but TSC Stores has a pretty good deal on right now.

Thanks. Unfortunately the closest to me is Grimsby and the time and gas spent to get there would outweigh the costs of just going to the HD down the street. :(
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22987 posts
4795 upvotes
where I belong
I just had one recently installed. Flat rate $80 + taxes
Ended up $90 + taxes due to additional parts like bracket

Found the guys via Kijiji (this is for Kitchener-Waterloo though), not bad
http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-services-s ... dZ66669436

and it's funny
We Install the most reliable garage door openers including: Craftsman, Lift Master, and Chamberlain. Unreliable openers such as Genie sold at Canadian Tire are not installed by us.
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
[OP]
Nov 4, 2007
413 posts
25 upvotes
mmhassa2 wrote: We used this guy from kijjji and recommend him. The installation was done very nicely and it's working like a charm. We did pay the extra $35 to have the emergency manual opener installed as well, but just to install the GDO is $60 and thats the lowest I've seen.

Here's his info:
416-879-5555 THOMAS
Thanks, I ended up calling this guy yesterday. He's supposed to come by tonight, so I'll update how it went. He quoted $80, I offered $60, but the lowest he'd go was $70. Still a good deal. Hopefully he follows through with it.

BUILDINGHOMES, I pm'd regarding another issue.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
arctics wrote: Thanks, I ended up calling this guy yesterday. He's supposed to come by tonight, so I'll update how it went. He quoted $80, I offered $60, but the lowest he'd go was $70. Still a good deal. Hopefully he follows through with it.

BUILDINGHOMES, I pm'd regarding another issue.
Hmm maybe because of the distance? Update us on how it goes. :)
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
470 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
arctics wrote: Thanks, I ended up calling this guy yesterday. He's supposed to come by tonight, so I'll update how it went. He quoted $80, I offered $60, but the lowest he'd go was $70. Still a good deal. Hopefully he follows through with it.
I've seen guys offer to do it for that amount before and they seem to disappear after a few months, most likely wondering why they cannot cover their bills.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2007
413 posts
25 upvotes
So the guy came out last night and checked out the garage. He said installing a conventional GDO would be impossible in my garage because there's duct work running across the ceiling, and doesn't allow for 10 ft to install the motor. He said the only type that would be possible is one that would need to be installed on the side of the door, but the cost would be around $500.

Now, last weekend, I checked out a neighbors garage that was designed with the same type of duct work, and they were able to install a regular GDO just fine.

I don't mind spending a bit more, as long as it gets done. $500 seems a little steep though.

Any suggestions?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
1751 posts
188 upvotes
NeverNeverLand
Give this guy a call....I just had mine installed last weekend....for $90 with all brackets and equipment. He was complaining about the builder cutting corners and ran into some problems, but didn't give me any excuses and took care of the situations at no extra cost. Here's his info:
905-882-6464
http://www.j-sdoor.com/
“My generation? We drink because it’s good. Because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar. Because we deserve it. We drink because it’s what men do.”
Roger Sterling

"I'm so gifted at findin' what I don't like the most" Kanye West

"oh kwa tan zin wan" Riley Martin