• Last Updated:
  • Feb 29th, 2020 10:27 am
Tags:
None
Sep 26, 2008
509 posts
109 upvotes
Ottawa
cross2010 wrote: I appreciate if anyone can refer me to someone in the Ottawa area for a garage door opener installation. Thanks in advance.
I booked with the Door Company. They haven't done the installation yet (they are coming in 2 weeks), but they had good feedback on another forum. The person who answered the phone seemed knowledgeable.

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/f ... ion&page=2

Their number is 613-821-2130. Cost is $155 + GST and includes reinforcing strut. There were cheaper places, but their BBB ratings were brutal and I didn't get the best vibe over the phone, either.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
470 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
jhyang23 wrote: from kijiji?
Make sure whomever you hire through websites like this is a legitimate business and properly insured. Many of them are not.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Mar 29, 2006
360 posts
22 upvotes
FRANKH wrote: I am glad I hired Ron to install door opener. He and his wife worked two full hours. Very detail oriented. Highly recommended.

Another recommendation for Ron.
They took about an hour and a half, and everything was done very professionally.

Very difficult price to beat at $70, especially for the quality of service provided.

His # again is 416-459-4227
Sep 30, 2006
172 posts
8 upvotes
Can anyone recommend an installer in the Cambridge area. Bought a Craftsman on sale this weekend.

Thanks
Aug 16, 2006
20 posts
sidgeorge wrote: Another recommendation for Ron.
They took about an hour and a half, and everything was done very professionally.

Very difficult price to beat at $70, especially for the quality of service provided.

I would also recommend Ron. They did a great job this weekend.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1662 posts
218 upvotes
sidgeorge wrote: Another recommendation for Ron.

Givemeadeal wrote: I would also recommend Ron. They did a great job this weekend.
Looks like quite a number of people recommend Ron. I'm just wondering if he is insured. How about the installation warranty and do you guys get a receipt? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3830 posts
1605 upvotes
Toronto
I used Ron. He didn't give me a receipt for the $70 installation (but I didn't ask for one either). He didn't specifically talk about a warranty, but he told me that if I encountered any problems with the opener, all I had to do was give him a call. I think he does these installations as a side gig, so I doubt that he holds any kind of insurance.

Having said all that, I am extremely satisfied with the work that Ron did for me and my mother-in-law. If you want to pay a lot more money to bring in a "professional" installer with insurance and written receipts and warranties, then go right ahead...it's your money.
Sep 11, 2008
3 posts
Toronto
Givemeadeal wrote: I would also recommend Ron. They did a great job this weekend.
I've used RFD for years without posting anything til now! As said in previous posts Rons workmanship and attention to detail is a steal at $70. He even came out to Newmarket at no extra $$$
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1662 posts
218 upvotes
I recommend Ron as well! He came by last Sat to install two garage door openers, his workmanship is excellent!
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
2413 posts
1077 upvotes
Barrie
umlowcn wrote: I recommend Ron as well! He came by last Sat to install two garage door openers, his workmanship is excellent!
Is Ron on these forums? If not he should be! :)
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4343 posts
885 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Just had Dodds install 3 openers. They charged 135+tax each. I already had gotten the openers at HD during a sale (Chamberlains 1/2 HP chain @ $140 - $100 off) last year.

The tech came right on time 9am, and was very efficient and courteous. Explained everything when he was done. I tested all 3 garages and they were great.

I originally had 1 single rail on top of the chain. The tech suggested that the 1 single rail was stronger and durable than the split rails that you have to put together from the chamberlain kit. So I told him to use the single rail. He left all spare parts he didn't use in the boxes so that if I chose to later, I could swap them. I really appreciated that because it showed that he knew his stuff, and he was honest about it.

You can also check out Dodds on homestars.com.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3830 posts
1605 upvotes
Toronto
:arrowu:
So what you're saying is that Dodds charged you $135+tax each to install your openers even though you already had solid rails in place (presumably from a pre-existing installation)?

If this is correct, then I think that you overpaid...I can't imagine paying $458 for that job.
Dec 17, 2008
55 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
Another recommendation for Ron.

Called Ron based on the numerous recommendations on this thread. He did my garage door opener this morning (replaced an existing old opener). Excellent workmanship!