• Last Updated:
  • Feb 29th, 2020 10:27 am
Tags:
None
May 4, 2010
27 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
He came over last nite and did a great job! Cost is still $80 and my boyfriend and I are very pleased with the work they did!
I would recommend 100%. Found his name/number on this site so thanks everyone else who recommended him.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2923 posts
69 upvotes
I need some suggestions. We have a 16x7 double garage door. The house is a new build, so it is just a basic door (metal/aluminum?) with no insulation. We are looking at a belt drive because there is a living room above the garage. Would you recommend a 3/4 or a 1/2hp motor?
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1373 posts
341 upvotes
Ottawa
1/2 hp is plenty. sears has some good sales on garage door openers and sometimes they include the wireless keypad as well. we bought a chain driven one for just under $200 which came with 2 openers & keypad and another device that you attach on your garage and keep the sensor inside your house. if you accidently leave the garage door openn the sensor inside will beep. atleast that how its supposed to work but i never bothered to attach it :(
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
26209 posts
4445 upvotes
Hamilton
Guys, if our current GDO is chain operated, does it mean I have to buy a chain operated GDO?
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
470 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Remove the old opener. Put in a new opener. Your choice as to what that is.

yao416 wrote: Guys, if our current GDO is chain operated, does it mean I have to buy a chain operated GDO?
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
3837 posts
632 upvotes
West Side GTA
hey buildinghomes,

you posted earlier in the thread that sears will come out and fix a craftsman...does the craftsman have a longer warranty period than others? How does sears handle a situation where the garage door opener was purchased by the previous owner, does any warranty transfer over as i don't have any bill of sale from the previous owner(s).
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
4962 posts
253 upvotes
Stoney Creek
yao416 wrote: Guys, if our current GDO is chain operated, does it mean I have to buy a chain operated GDO?
The chain or belt is included when you buy an opener, so the choice is yours.
Jun 25, 2010
611 posts
157 upvotes
my new house is closing in april2011..when is the best time to buy the GDO( I mean when are the sales on for the GDO's)......It is a double car garage.. 18'4" X 20'0"...what brand is good and how big the motor should be.
Thanks..
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2923 posts
69 upvotes
I have an appointment with Ron tomorrow to install our new Chamberlain 1/2hp belt drive. :)
Mar 23, 2005
151 posts
7 upvotes
We are actually looking for someone to install the garage door. We are replacing our 20 year old one.

Any Idea how much it owuld be? It's one large double door garage.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
470 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
These are questions you will have to ask Sears to get answered.

-=phelan=- wrote: you posted earlier in the thread that sears will come out and fix a craftsman...does the craftsman have a longer warranty period than others? How does sears handle a situation where the garage door opener was purchased by the previous owner, does any warranty transfer over as i don't have any bill of sale from the previous owner(s).
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1728 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
Ron and Wife came in 2 weekends ago and did the job. Took them about 2.5 hrs on a single door. $80. Highly recommended.
Dec 5, 2005
347 posts
5 upvotes
Oakville
Ron and his wife came and installed my new Chamberlain and the whole experience was what you all said .... Great.

These two operate with complete professionalism and apparently they have their own detailing business. Based on the whole experience with them, I will try their detailing out in Ajax when i get a chance.

Cheers.
Apr 11, 2007
203 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Had my 2 craftsman gdo installed by Ron recently. Thanks all for the feedback. I am pleased with the work they did. It was $80@ door.
Sep 26, 2009
167 posts
43 upvotes
Stittsville
Looking for a GDO installer in Ottawa, any recomendations for under $100.