None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2005
2431 posts
5 upvotes
Sonic Temple

Garage Door Openers

What are some of the better garage door opener name brands and where in the GTA can I make a purchase with good selection and prices?
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6240 posts
91 upvotes
I think that there are only 2 main manufacturers that sell different brand. Chamberlain makes them, and they can be bought under the chamberlain name, craftsman and a few other names.

DO NOT BUY A CHAIN opener if you have a bedroom above or near the garage, They are noisy as hell. Go with a belt driven one (or screw?).
Dec 5, 2005
550 posts
Calgary
Call your local CT. There was a post a day or two ago that stated they have them on clearance in Van, but I call ed my local in Calgary and he had 10 at that price.

Someone wanna link to the thread I am talking about. i can't find it now...
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14383 posts
125 upvotes
Mississauga
mart242 wrote:DO NOT BUY A CHAIN opener if you have a bedroom above or near the garage, They are noisy as hell. Go with a belt driven one (or screw?).
Baloney, they're not that loud, or maybe you have no insolation on the ceiling of the garage, and if thats the case, that bedroom is cold as hell too !!
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6240 posts
91 upvotes
mlc2000 wrote:Baloney, they're not that loud, or maybe you have no insolation on the ceiling of the garage, and if thats the case, that bedroom is cold as hell too !!
They transmit the vibrations through the frame of the house as well. At night, they are annoying as hell.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14383 posts
125 upvotes
Mississauga
mart242 wrote:They transmit the vibrations through the frame of the house as well. At night, they are annoying as hell.
What kind of house is that? My house is only 7yrs old and nothing vibrates.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6240 posts
91 upvotes
mlc2000 wrote:What kind of house is that? My house is only 7yrs old and nothing vibrates.
It's a 4 year old townhouse, I can "feel" my neighbor opener. (well, I won't shake but you can hear a slight vibration and hear it). I can't hear my belt one which is directly under the bedroom.

My dad had a condo in montreal 10 years ago. He was on the 2nd floor. I could still "feel & hear" the openers that were 2-3 floors below. They were directly under a bedroom window though, which explains why.

A belt one is definitely the way to go.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1251 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
mlc2000 wrote:What kind of house is that? My house is only 7yrs old and nothing vibrates.
There are many types of houses and many diff builders that build them. You seem to think all the houses are the same as yours. Just because you don't experience that problem, it doesn't mean others don't.

Insulation doesn't necessarily eliminate noise and vibrations. You tell me you can't hear a single thing outside our house. You have insulation on your outerwalls.

Mart242.... you have a valid point. You are just trying to bring an issue that some people aren't knowledgeable about.

I've driven through new subdivisions and have seen townhouses and semi-detached houses being built by Sundial in which they don't even use concrete blocks for the shared walls. Just 2x4s and wood panels and imagine the noise that can transmit between those houses.

I agree, belt driven garage door openers are good to reduce noise, no matter what the situation is. They would not have create belt driven ones if there was no demand for them. Just beware they are higher in price because of the reduced noise factor....
Dec 14, 2004
731 posts
59 upvotes
Waterloo
I went through the belt/chain drive decision a few months ago and I ended up buying a chain drive for a few reasons. First of all, for me the priority in an opener was longevity and maintenance. Chain drive is a proven design, and for the price, I could get a much better/powerful, chain drive than I could for the same price with the belt drive. Yes noise was a concern because my master bedroom is above the garage, but I realized that just the noise of the door moving on the track would be enough to wake me up. So in my case, even if the chain is a bit louder, it made the most sense.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5886 posts
1867 upvotes
A bit of advice for those with Sears Craftsman chain drive openers - every year take the shroud off and spray the gears as you operate the opener with aerosol white lithium grease (available at Crappy Tire).

The factory lube in the openers dries out after a few years and the gears (one is a worm gear and the other is a cog) which are made of white nylon start to wear. The kit to replace the gears is around $50 and it takes about an hour to disassemble the opener and replace the aforementioned parts.

I had to replace the gear in my 18 yr old 1/2 hp opener around 10 yrs ago and now that I lube the opener every year, the problem has not repeated itself.
Jan 21, 2003
176 posts
10 upvotes
plymouthhater wrote:A bit of advice for those with Sears Craftsman chain drive openers - every year take the shroud off and spray the gears as you operate the opener with aerosol white lithium grease (available at Crappy Tire).

The factory lube in the openers dries out after a few years and the gears (one is a worm gear and the other is a cog) which are made of white nylon start to wear. The kit to replace the gears is around $50 and it takes about an hour to disassemble the opener and replace the aforementioned parts.

I had to replace the gear in my 18 yr old 1/2 hp opener around 10 yrs ago and now that I lube the opener every year, the problem has not repeated itself.
QFT, I remember we had to replace one little nylon gear and it was $60+. biggest ripoff ever.
...Smiloid
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14383 posts
125 upvotes
Mississauga
No sooner did I read this, when my wife called to tell me the garage door opener won't open.

Does this look familiar?

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/i ... 985572.jpg[/IMG]

Where do you get parts for Chamberlain? I called Sears, they've never heard of my model 6200C (assume C stands for Canada). By the way, I live in Burlington and work near 427/QEW so anywhere in between is fine.
Heatware 47-0

Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2280 posts
19 upvotes
Looks familar... you need a new gear. As mentioned in the earlier post, it takes 1 hr and 60$ in parts.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2001
1323 posts
Just had a Chamberlin belt drive opener installed, works very well. Comes with a 10 year warranty even so I chose the belt over the chain since we have a bonus room above the garage.