• Jun 14th, 2018 11:11 am
[OP]
Mar 23, 2015
108 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Garage Door Peeling

My house is about 7 years old.
I’m not sure how and when the garage door was painted, but now it started to peel (see attached image). The entrance door frame paint is doing the same
I guess that the best solution would be to sand, prime and paint but I really don’t want to sand the whole garage door. Can I use some chemical paint remover? Anything other ideas?

20180610_133441_resized.jpg
20180610_133454_resized.jpg
20180610_133503_resized.jpg
10 replies
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
1228 posts
136 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
you dont have to sand the whole door, just sand where its peeling and re-paint in the same colour over the areas that need fixing.
Hi
[OP]
Mar 23, 2015
108 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Unfortunately I think that since it started to peel it will probably peel in other places too and very soon I will need to patch in other places.
This is why I prefer a bit more serious solution.

GoodFellaz wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 1:38 pm
you dont have to sand the whole door, just sand where its peeling and re-paint in the same colour over the areas that need fixing.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4162 posts
1328 upvotes
Paris
The door is peeing because the wood was either not properly prepared or water is leeching up into the jambs and getting behind the paint.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
8823 posts
2720 upvotes
Brampton
The pictures of your door definitely show water leeching and damage from water.
My fix would be to scrap all the peeling paint off. Repaint the jamb with good exterior paint
Cut about a CM of wood from the bottom and seal it with silicone caulking.

As for your garage door. That's usual builder crap. If you get 10 years out of it great.
Again scrape and paint. What I would do is just wipe the whole door down with TSP and paint. If you really want to get fancy scuff the surface up with a scotch Brite abrasive pad before cleaning with TSP.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4162 posts
1328 upvotes
Paris
tebore wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 9:15 pm
The pictures of your door definitely show water leeching and damage from water.
My fix would be to scrap all the peeling paint off. Repaint the jamb with good exterior paint
Cut about a CM of wood from the bottom and seal it with silicone caulking.

As for your garage door. That's usual builder crap. If you get 10 years out of it great.
Again scrape and paint. What I would do is just wipe the whole door down with TSP and paint. If you really want to get fancy scuff the surface up with a scotch Brite abrasive pad before cleaning with TSP.
I don’t think he should cut jamb and replace with caulking. It’s holding the door level and plumb and weather will get in.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
8823 posts
2720 upvotes
Brampton
Jerico wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 11:38 pm
I don’t think he should cut jamb and replace with caulking. It’s holding the door level and plumb and weather will get in.
You think so?
I figured the majority of the weight is held by the inner jamb.

I'd notch it and seal it with Caulking.
Weather is already getting in.

Who ever did the install originally should have left a bead of caulk under and around to prevent this from happening.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4162 posts
1328 upvotes
Paris
tebore wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 8:13 am
You think so?
I figured the majority of the weight is held by the inner jamb.

I'd notch it and seal it with Caulking.
Weather is already getting in.

Who ever did the install originally should have left a bead of caulk under and around to prevent this from happening.
Jambs are all one piece. I wouldn’t remove it without replacing it. So notch and put in a new piece.

Edit: just to go a little further, that’s a cheap door. The aluminum sill should go the full length of the door, even in front of the sidelites to aid in water shed.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
8823 posts
2720 upvotes
Brampton
Jerico wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:04 am
Jambs are all one piece. I wouldn’t remove it without replacing it. So notch and put in a new piece.

Edit: just to go a little further, that’s a cheap door. The aluminum sill should go the full length of the door, even in front of the sidelites to aid in water shed.
The only reason why I'm even suggesting notching is because it looks like it's either rotten or starting to rot.

And agreed it's a cheap door. I had to look at my door (Builder grade as well) to see why I never had to deal with it and it's as you described the aluminum is all the way thru.

Also am I wrong in saying they should have had a bead of sealant going underneath and around to seal it? That's how I've seen similar doors handled.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4162 posts
1328 upvotes
Paris
tebore wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:09 am
Also am I wrong in saying they should have had a bead of sealant going underneath and around to seal it? That's how I've seen similar doors handled.
Should have been done at the factory.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
5988 posts
1181 upvotes
Maple
OP,
Sorry to see that. That house is not old. My house is going 18, garage door and front door are builder's. They are still very good. Only my right low part of garage frame jab is peeling paint. Just repaint with exterior pain few weeks back. You just sand the paint off then re-paint with exterior paint; it should give you few more years. The paint job was not done right.