Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
4259 posts
121 upvotes

Garage Door Stick / Freeze To Ground

Hi, the bottom of my garage door sometimes stick / freeze to the ground during winter. I wonder if there are any tips you can share to prevent that. Thank you.
9 replies
Mar 7, 2010
368 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
It is probably freezing because the melting snow from your vehicle is running under the door and when it comes in contact with the outside temperature it freezes.

Solution is to either clean your car off before storing or put some salt on the door line to avoid freezing.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
Personally i would not throw salt down. I would spray the rubber seal with silicone ocassionaly.
"some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.” Winston Churchill
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5757 posts
543 upvotes
Two methods:

1. Spray the door bottom weatherstrip with Pam (or equivalent) cooking spray. The oil keeps the ice from sticking to the weatherstrip. This will have to be re-done from time to time.

2. Sprinkle sand along the floor where the weatherstrip touches the concrete. The sand keeps the weatherstripping from direct contact with the concrete. This doesn't work so good if there is a lot of water completely covering the sand..
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2250 posts
427 upvotes
I too have this problem....

I use none of the sand, Pam(expensive comparatively) or salt (the worst). I got me a can filled with cooking oil and a dollar-store brush & apply occasionally whenever I can remember to.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4184 posts
279 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Yes, please do not use salt. Salt rusts the rails and corrodes the pulley wires and causes them to snap. I have seen this many times.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
4069 posts
139 upvotes
BuildingHomes wrote:
Dec 15th, 2010 1:55 am
Yes, please do not use salt. Salt rusts the rails and corrodes the pulley wires and causes them to snap. I have seen this many times.

oops
i too was experiencing this and thought to use salt
i'm not sure how the salt would rust the rails/pulley wires?? it's on the floor.... if i'm missing something plz explain unless you mean to say that the salt sticks to the bottom of the garage door, when you pull it up it will somehow come in contact with the rails?
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
4966 posts
517 upvotes
Mississauga
I don`t have this problem but i read somwhere use petrolum jelly on the weatherstrip.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4184 posts
279 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
ipxxx wrote:
Dec 15th, 2010 2:18 am
i'm not sure how the salt would rust the rails/pulley wires?? it's on the floor....

The rails usually run to the floor. Water splashes. etc.. It does indeed happen. Please do not use salt.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Jul 26, 2010
831 posts
54 upvotes
eastern Ontario
Samwfive wrote:
Dec 14th, 2010 5:29 pm
I too have this problem....

I use none of the sand, Pam(expensive comparatively) or salt (the worst). I got me a can filled with cooking oil and a dollar-store brush & apply occasionally whenever I can remember to.

dollar stores have a "pam' equivalent.
× < >