• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2019 5:36 pm
[OP]
Jan 16, 2019
34 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

Garbage disposal installation

Is it illegal to install garbage disposal / food waste disposer under sink? Even if I'm mindful about what I put in?

I was told that according to new code builders shouldn't install.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4341 posts
1626 upvotes
everydaydealer wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 9:31 pm
Is it illegal to install garbage disposal / food waste disposer under sink? Even if I'm mindful about what I put in?

I was told that according to new code builders shouldn't install.
It depends.......
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4341 posts
1626 upvotes
everydaydealer wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 9:44 pm
Can you please elaborate?
Well, it depends on the municipality you live in
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4341 posts
1626 upvotes
everydaydealer wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 9:51 pm
oh it's Pickering
There was a proposed bylaw banning new installations some years ago. No indication of whether or not it passed. Check with your municipality
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9734 posts
7023 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Red_Army wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 9:49 pm
Well, it depends on the municipality you live in
This
Check the Bylaws

And as an RFD Newbie do yourself a big favour, update your Profile to add in a location
So when you post we all have a point of reference
Be it a Province, Region, City or Town
Causes less confusion
And stupid back & forth time wasting for you and everyone who reads anything you post
Gives everything clarity
(Like Ontario is different from BC, and also different from Newfoundland or the Yukon ... afterall RFD is Canadawide, eh)
[OP]
Jan 16, 2019
34 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
City of Pickering confirmed that residents can install a under sink garbage disposer. No permit required. I'm good. Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6222 posts
874 upvotes
Keep in mind that regardless of the municipality, if you live in a condo you might not be allowed to install one. My brother was telling me that his condo board has banned them because of a lot of plumbing problems they supposedly have been causing. It's an old building with old plumbing though.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
12458 posts
1330 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
Why would you? They're loud, pointless, smell and always get plugged up. I took one out of our old house and will be in our new one
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4341 posts
1626 upvotes
woof wrote:
Jun 27th, 2019 5:07 pm
Keep in mind that regardless of the municipality, if you live in a condo you might not be allowed to install one. My brother was telling me that his condo board has banned them because of a lot of plumbing problems they supposedly have been causing. It's an old building with old plumbing though.
Most if not all condos that I know of have a ban on them, as well as any municipality with combined sewers

In my many years experience, they often cause more harm than they do good