• Jul 30th, 2019 1:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5106 posts
1040 upvotes
Thornhill

garbage out all the time on non-garbage collection days

Is it legal to always have rubbish( panels, dry wall pieces,TVs, cardboards, wood planks, furniture,etc,etc,etc) every day on the side of the road. A multi-dwelling unit is responsible for it. Obviously a day prior to the garbage collection they bring the garbage bins too and remove them in the evening once the garbage bins are empty. But then by that same evening more of the rubbish is brought up to that green space on the sidewalk and left for another 7 days until it's picked up. At times some of those pieces are not picked up so they stay another week or two. During winter times those get buried under the snow and a small hill of crap accumulates until better times...
So basically it's 365 days of garbage, which doesn't look good for the neighborhood.

Is it legal or should I file a complaint?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2549 posts
1105 upvotes
Mississauga
Check local bylaws
Contact bylaw office
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5101 posts
2883 upvotes
mau_mau wrote:
Jul 29th, 2019 7:45 pm
Check local bylaws
Contact bylaw office
The answer to 80% of the posts here
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9720 posts
6990 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mau_mau wrote:
Jul 29th, 2019 7:45 pm
Check local bylaws
Contact bylaw office
This

In most municipalities one can actually be fined for exceeding the timeframe
Due to the fact it attracts rodents

And if this is like a small apt building ... then they are supposed to have an area on their property (not the curb) where they can store their garbage / junk until collection day (a garage, shed, or indoors / garbage room)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2678 posts
600 upvotes
dazz wrote:
Jul 29th, 2019 7:08 pm
Is it legal to always have rubbish( panels, dry wall pieces,TVs, cardboards, wood planks, furniture,etc,etc,etc) every day on the side of the road. A multi-dwelling unit is responsible for it. Obviously a day prior to the garbage collection they bring the garbage bins too and remove them in the evening once the garbage bins are empty. But then by that same evening more of the rubbish is brought up to that green space on the sidewalk and left for another 7 days until it's picked up. At times some of those pieces are not picked up so they stay another week or two. During winter times those get buried under the snow and a small hill of crap accumulates until better times...
So basically it's 365 days of garbage, which doesn't look good for the neighborhood.

I skimmed the Vaughan by-laws a while ago and it said you can only put out garbage for pickup after 5pm the night before collection day

Maybe there is an exception for larger debris but that wouldn't make much sense....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
6910 posts
6076 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Mostly the inhabitants of these types of buildings don’t care about the look of the neighbourhood. It’s a whatever is best for them situation.

So as others have said calls to bylaw and/or the property manager/owners. Back it up with photos of the junk on various days.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11590 posts
5941 upvotes
Toronto
In the city of Toronto, it's illegal and a can result in a ticket from by-law officer. When I was elbow deep in renos, I had some 'construction' material (drywall, cabinets, wood, etc...) curbside, easier to dump into my truck, and by-law came by to issue me a warning. I told them that I just put it there and they gave me 4hrs to remove it.

I ended up dumping all the stuff on my lawn until I was able to load it up for a dump run. As for bins, they must be out before 7am.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5106 posts
1040 upvotes
Thornhill
Thanks for the replies. I was given a link to read and seems like a day prior is the only appropriate time so the dwelling is breaking the law.
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2799 posts
188 upvotes
dazz wrote:
Jul 29th, 2019 7:08 pm

funny to see this but have seen around my area as well. The good thing is there are many pickup trucks go by everyday looking for trash, metals and so on. Most of this crap is literally picked up by these junk business trucks. Not much left for municipal trucks.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws.
I will apologies only when I get caught. But not always only Sometime