• Aug 12th, 2016 7:54 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1580 posts
289 upvotes

garbage truck

Hello,

Need some advise. I was driving behind a garbage truck and stuff from the truck fell out. I tried to avoid the garbage hitting my car and had to take my car on the curb, almost lost my senses and there is some damage to the car. The garbage truck did not stop, I did not take any plate number (was shocked), as this happened so quickly and the truck just continued going away. What can I do?

Thank you
12 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14186 upvotes
Toronto
Glad you are not hurt.

I would say there's nothing you can do...you can make a claim with your insurance for damage with no witness or dashcam video you will get stuck paying your deductible.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Swerny wrote: Glad you are not hurt.

I would say there's nothing you can do...you can make a claim with your insurance for damage with no witness or dashcam video you will get stuck paying your deductible.
Well, if the road is literally covered in garbage, he could've called the cops and and got a police report. Cops should be able to trace back to the truck. Should not have to pay deductible for that.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1598 posts
1609 upvotes
Orleans, ON
There's nothing you can do. As harsh is this may sound, it's your fault for following a garbage truck so closely, that you couldn't stop in time to avoid debris.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1085 posts
900 upvotes
file insurance, your comprehensive coverage should take care of it
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1580 posts
289 upvotes
Thank you all, yes I am not hurt! It happened so quickly. Is it at least worth calling insurance to get their opinion/ advise?
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14186 upvotes
Toronto
busybe wrote: Thank you all, yes I am not hurt! It happened so quickly. Is it at least worth calling insurance to get their opinion/ advise?
call your broker
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1580 posts
289 upvotes
Don't have a broker
Swerny wrote:
busybe wrote: Thank you all, yes I am not hurt! It happened so quickly. Is it at least worth calling insurance to get their opinion/ advise?
call your broker
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
893 upvotes
er34er34 wrote:

what he said
Well, if the road is literally covered in garbage, he could've called the cops and and got a police report. Cops should be able to trace back to the truck. Should not have to pay deductible for that.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11549 posts
5377 upvotes
Moving target
Was it a green truck or blue truck (assuming this is toronto). If the damage is significant but relatively minor the green truck company might pay out to avoid bad PR. If it's a city truck you'll have to deal with the city.

Worth a polite phone call / email. If you have time and date location they may be able to trace the truck. You could also see if any retailers in the area may have had cameras pointed at the street.

Or just go to your insurance. Garbage truck shouldn't be dropping garbage on the street regardless if you were too close or not.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
er34er34 wrote:

Deductibles are different for everyone, depending on what you pay for.

If the garbage was moving its a DCPD claim and is subject to whatever deductible you have. Otherwise its a collision (with a still object) and you are 100% at fault.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15496 posts
2735 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
In b4 this is why you should have a dash cam.