None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3010 posts
235 upvotes
Mississauga

Garcinia Cambogia?

Doing some research on garcinia cambogia after a friend mentioned it the other day.

While there are some indepth reviews on dr. oz/oprah/and other health sites, there are lots of shady looking websites offering free trials and stuff which I would never pull the trigger on.

Has anyone here looked into this? Thoughts/opinions?

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/garcinia-cambogia-hca

[QUOTE]
What Is Garcina Cambogia Extract?

Garcinia cambogia is a small, pumpkin-shaped fruit, sometimes called tamarind. Though native to Indonesia, it is also grown in India, Southeast Asia, and West and Central Africa. It has long been used in traditional South Asian dishes, including curries and chutneys. Many also use the fruit for curing fish and preservation.

How Does Garcina Cambogia Work?
The HCA extract from garcinia cambogia supplement aids in weight loss by doing two things: It helps to block fat, and it suppresses your appetite.

HCA blocks fat by inhibiting a key enzyme that your body needs to make fat from carbohydrates: Citrate lyase. Usually carbohydrates or sugars that are not used immediately or stored in other forms are converted into fats. When HCA inhibits citrate lyase, the fat-making process is halted and the production of LDL (bad cholesterol) and triglycerides decrease.

HCA also suppresses appetite by increasing serotonin levels. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter in your brain that makes you feel good. It’s a target of many antidepressant medications. [/QUOTE]
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5722 posts
171 upvotes
GTA
I went to a health food store in Etobicoke today on Ronson Rd (next door to Fitness Depot) and ended up buying 2 bottles today. I figured what do I got to lose, it's only for short term anyways. The manufacturer was Nutra Centials. They are 70 500mg of veggie-capsules with 300mg of HCA (or 60%), 80mg of Potassium and 55mg of Calcium which is necessary for the efficacy of the drug. The cost was $25/bottle

Let's see what happens....

My goal is to loose about 15-20 lbs in total. Approx 9 years ago I lost about 70 lbs in 6 months by going the absolute no carb route and I was shedding pounds like you wouldn't beleive (works for men, but not for women unfortunately). I had to stop as my doctor yelled at me stating that I was loosing too much too fast and that I could cause organ failure. The only thing I regret and won't do this time is not exercise one bit. During that weight loss, I loss a lot of muscle too and now I'm starting to feel the effect of it today.

sk
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
7560 posts
1174 upvotes
Ontario
Don't use a supplement to 'block fat' and 'suppress your appetite'
Don't ever take a pill for fat loss.

Ironically, dietary fat is what helps 'suppress your appetite' and there's nothing you can't do with just proper nutrition ALONE.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4564 posts
256 upvotes
sunnybono wrote:
Jan 14th, 2014 8:03 pm

My goal is to loose about 15-20 lbs in total. Approx 9 years ago I lost about 70 lbs in 6 months by going the absolute no carb route and I was shedding pounds like you wouldn't beleive (works for men, but not for women unfortunately). I had to stop as my doctor yelled at me stating that I was loosing too much too fast and that I could cause organ failure. The only thing I regret and won't do this time is not exercise one bit. During that weight loss, I loss a lot of muscle too and now I'm starting to feel the effect of it today.

sk
Doh! That sounds awful to be honest. A diet completely void of vegetables and fruit (otherwise it wouldn't have been absolute no carb) sounds unhealthy. How'd you manage to go absolute no carbs with even trace carbs in foods??

Personally, I'd say save your money in two ways: don't buy the pills and eat less (ie buy less food, eat less food :D ). Track everything you eat and drink diligently. Extreme weight loss with lots of muscle loss sounds awful TBH.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14376 posts
902 upvotes
Markham
sunnybono wrote:
Jan 14th, 2014 8:03 pm
I went to a health food store in Etobicoke today on Ronson Rd (next door to Fitness Depot) and ended up buying 2 bottles today. I figured what do I got to lose, it's only for short term anyways. The manufacturer was Nutra Centials. They are 70 500mg of veggie-capsules with 300mg of HCA (or 60%), 80mg of Potassium and 55mg of Calcium which is necessary for the efficacy of the drug. The cost was $25/bottle

Let's see what happens....

sk
that's hardcore.. i applaud you for being able to do that
ShadowVlican
Nov 25, 2013
1 posts
Ferland-Et-Boilleau,…
I have recently read many reviews and still not really convinced to use it. I saw in a review at: http://www.dr-omar.com/ that it interfere with a lot of medications, and is very active, it interferes with diabetes, depression and many more... I can't use it if it does all of these effects!
Aug 3, 2014
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Hey hello guys! I'm just new to the community since I'm not a very computer-savvy person and I hate spending hours in front of my computer screen. The thing is I'm really obese, like I mean actually over-weight and I badly need to get rid of those ugly fat balls clinging to my body!! My wife and children are literally driving me nuts, asking me to lose weight ASAP but obviously it's impossible for me to do it so quickly. I feel bad because I don't want to embarrass them in public and yeah it even starts to look awkward when I'm with them. I hate those s*****s and whispers directed right at me and I'm sure my family hates them too. Besides my wife is so smart and beautiful so she'll naturally want me to complement her style. GOD I'm so upset and desperate to lose weight!! My wife says I won't be able to exercise that rigorously so she's checked out a couple of blogs and YouTube tutorials and found this weight loss supplement from http://amzn.to/PqVwku last week. She says I should start using it immediately but I was just concerned about the side effects. I was just checking the internet today to see if I could verify the ingredients and stuff and see if it's safe and healthy to use. I'm already on a diet pan that my son brought from his gym trainer so I wanted to ask if I could use supplements alongside such diets. Could any of you please help me out with this?? Thanks guys.