• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2022 8:50 pm
Tags:
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
385 upvotes
Markham, ON

Garden Shed Foundation?

Planning to put a 8'x10' shed in our backyard once the weather warms up.
Probably going to buy one of those pre-fab shed from a big box store.

Question is, what sort of foundation I need?

I have seen a lot of people build a shed foundation without digging and pouring a concrete below the frost line.
I.e. they just put few inch of gravel and paver stone on top, or even easier, use 8-10 concrete block and put a wood frame on top.

Are these kind of foundation okay in toronto with the cold weather?
I though most foundation needs to have footing below the frost line due to frost heaving?
26 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Depends on how perfect you want it and what kind of soil you have as well as what the drainage in the area is like.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9356 posts
2211 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Use deck blocks. No need to worry about the frost line when it is just a floating shed.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5602 posts
3999 upvotes
GTA
don242 wrote: Use deck blocks. No need to worry about the frost line when it is just a floating shed.
I wonder how many floating sheds flew away a few days ago.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9356 posts
2211 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
shabby wrote: I wonder how many floating sheds flew away a few days ago.
A foundation below the frost line wouldn't make a difference. If you have deck blocks blowing around in that windstorm, then your shed is going to be the least of your concern.
Sep 2, 2005
910 posts
634 upvotes
Toronto
poured sonotube footings if you wanna do it right.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1995 posts
473 upvotes
Is your shed going to be wood or those plastic type sheds? Those wood sheds come on 6x6 skids and they won't blow away, as for the plastic or resin sheds they only come with a plastic floor I would build a wood floor with 4x4 or 6x6 skids and place it on there, as well just use a gravel pad to place your shed on it. Concrete is not needed and it will be super expensive and a lot of extra work. Plus if you have a shed on skids you can move it where you want it.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
rotjong wrote: Is your shed going to be wood or those plastic type sheds? Those wood sheds come on 6x6 skids and they won't blow away, as for the plastic or resin sheds they only come with a plastic floor I would build a wood floor with 4x4 or 6x6 skids and place it on there, as well just use a gravel pad to place your shed on it. Concrete is not needed and it will be super expensive and a lot of extra work. Plus if you have a shed on skids you can move it where you want it.
Agreed, and just to be clear for OP, the resin shed should be secured to the wood base.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
When I build my 8x10 shed, it’ll be with 4 sonotubes. But then again I usually do everything in overkill.

bjl

edit: fix typo
Last edited by t3359 on Apr 7th, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
t3359 wrote: When I build my 8x1 shed, it’ll be with 4 sonotubes. But then again I usually do everything in overkill.

bjl
What are you storing, 2 bicycles? Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Got a 8x15 on blocks. No issues whatsoever and if I want to move it in a few more years I have that option. Survived the holiday winter storm and the summer flood.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
385 upvotes
Markham, ON
Thanks, I think i am leaning more toward using gravel and paver stone
For those who built a shed with concrete block, wouldnt' there be a gap underneath the shed? Seems like a perfect spot for raccoon or other animals to hide out?

And related question:

How close should the shed be to the fence?
To me closer = less wasted space.
However, is it a good idea to make it so close light can't get there and you get a permanently dark, and probably wet area between the fence and shed?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
pinkdonut wrote: Thanks, I think i am leaning more toward using gravel and paver stone
For those who built a shed with concrete block, wouldnt' there be a gap underneath the shed? Seems like a perfect spot for raccoon or other animals to hide out?

And related question:

How close should the shed be to the fence?
To me closer = less wasted space.
However, is it a good idea to make it so close light can't get there and you get a permanently dark, and probably wet area between the fence and shed?
There's usually bylaws on where you can place your shed. Look them up for your area. I think in my area it's got to be 2ft from property line.
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
385 upvotes
Markham, ON
engineered wrote: There's usually bylaws on where you can place your shed. Look them up for your area. I think in my area it's got to be 2ft from property line.
I think that only applies to larger shed and above and certain height limit?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
pinkdonut wrote: I think that only applies to larger shed and above and certain height limit?
Shed's larger than 110sqft require a permit.

Here's Oakville's rules.
From their Zoning by-law, section 21
ACCESSORY BUILDINGS
1) Subject to subsection 21.4), if the applicable yard and area requirements are met,
a detached accessory building having a coverage of not more than 10% of the lot
area, except where otherwise noted in specific zones, may be erected in a rear
yard not nearer the nearest interior lot line than 0.6 m
except where there is a lane
at the rear of the lot, in which case it may be erected on the rear lot line.
2) An accessory building that otherwise complies with subsection (1) may be erected
on the lot line if abutting or attached to a permanent accessory building on the
adjoining lot.
3) The maximum building height of a building accessory to a residential use shall be
3.5m measured from the grade at the lowest point of the accessory building.
4) The minimum separation distance between a detached accessory building in the
rear yard and a dwelling unit shall not be less than 2m.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
I went the Mike Holmes route 12 years ago. I had about a foot of soil removed, back filled with gravel and about 4 inch thick concrete on top. The foundation remains perfectly level today and I don't have issues with opening and closing the double doors. Because the shed is solidly anchored to the foundation, I never worry about wind storms.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer