None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
1030 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto

Garden sheds.

I'm looking for a decent garden shed to store my snowblower, lawn mower, wheelbarrow and other garden junk (rake, shovels, fertilizer).

I looked at Home Depot and saw them ranging in price from $699-$1000.

Does anyone know of other places that sells sheds? Anyone build one with advice to share? :)
23 replies
Dec 29, 2005
66 posts
I saw costco had a shed (plastic) for $750 with a window and skylight, floor included. Can't remember the size 10x10 or something, good for the price.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
1289 posts
49 upvotes
I built a fairly large shed for about $210 in materials
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
We bought a Rubbermaid one. I cant recommend it. The roof (plastic) warps, which makes it so that one of the doors wont stay on, despite diassembling and re-assembling several times. Eventually one of the "hinges" on the door just broke, so I have to figure out another way to put it on. This all happened within months of buying the damn thing.
Maybe others have had better experiences, but we need a shed for the cottage now and I will stay away from Rubbermaid, and maybe plastic sheds entirely.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
1030 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for all the replies!

Building one from scratch will take too much time unfortunately, so I'm stuck with pre-fab kits. Though I would have liked to have a nice wood shed... they look much better than aluminum ones.

stealth, thanks for the feedback on the Rubbermaid. I was considering it, but now I guess I'm going to pay a bit more for a quality shed.

Maybe there's going to be a "Hammer Drop" deal on a shed this week? :D
Feb 10, 2005
161 posts
I had Home Depot install their 6x8 wooden shed for me last summer. Total was just under $1000, used ATHome+Lifestyles GC's to bring the price down to $800.

They delivered and completed the set-up and install in less than a day.

They also have vinyl/plastic ones (as does Costco) for about the same price, or a bit cheaper. I figured the potential warping (already mentioned), fading, and just plain ugly looks just weren't worth the savings. Plus, with the wooden shed, I can easily repair it if something goes wrong. (I'm not so handy as to build the thing from scratch for $200 though. ;)
Mar 24, 2004
477 posts
32 upvotes
Brampton
Go to the Gracious Living warehouse in west GTA . Great prices on plastic and aluminum patio sets and individual pieces. As well as plastic storage items and vinyl sheds. If you go off season you can haggle even better prices.

They are in Woodbridge on Martin Grove just north of Steeles and south of Hwy 7. You can see the warehouse on the north side of Hwy407 at Martin Grove, but there is no Martin Grove exit. If you take Hwy407 you'll need to get off at Pine Valley to the east of Martin Grove, or Hwy27 to the west of Martin Grove and then take Steeles to Martin Grove.

I got my 10'x8' vinyl shed for $500 last year. No floor though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
1030 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the info!

Do you know if they sell that shed in a kit or is it only available with installation?

6x8 is a perfect size for me. Does it come with shelving etc?

purdy99 wrote:I had Home Depot install their 6x8 wooden shed for me last summer. Total was just under $1000, used ATHome+Lifestyles GC's to bring the price down to $800.

They delivered and completed the set-up and install in less than a day.

They also have vinyl/plastic ones (as does Costco) for about the same price, or a bit cheaper. I figured the potential warping (already mentioned), fading, and just plain ugly looks just weren't worth the savings. Plus, with the wooden shed, I can easily repair it if something goes wrong. (I'm not so handy as to build the thing from scratch for $200 though. ;)
Feb 10, 2005
161 posts
They definitely sell the shed in a kit, although I can't remember the price in that case. Many hundreds less at least though.

It doesn't come with shelves or lock hardware. But, once its built, its pretty easy to install some wooden shelves yourself as the studs are fully exposed on the inside.

Note that its cedar shingles and cedar siding, but the framing is all regular untreated 2x4 lumbar (not sure what type of wood). If you build it yourself, you might consider staining the framing to give it xtra protection.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8031 posts
245 upvotes
Hamilton
rabblerouser wrote:I built a fairly large shed for about $210 in materials
yeah build your own tool shed, make sure it has a nice good door.. because people like to break into your door.. and try to steal your garden tools.. I have a honda lawn mower myself.. its a nice lawn mower too! hehe
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76726 posts
1574 upvotes
We have a crappy tin one that came with the house when we bought it. Old tyle and basically worthless. Water leaks in the bottom as its directly on the cement.

In a week my one Im getting built will be done. The local college builds sheds for the carpentry program for projects. A full size shed with 7 foot walls, a window, siding, trim, soffit and facia to water ever colour you like and shingles, whatever colour you want. On a nice pressure treated raised pad, door and half entry and they make it whatever dimenssion you want. Just have to pay for the cost of materials.

Just over $500 for a shed that would easily cost $1500 at Home Depot, etc.

Try your local trade schools and see if they offer the same thing
TOTAL WINNINGS TO DATE = $99,719.87
Feb 10, 2005
161 posts
Damn, that's some good advice! Wish I would have thought of it. :)
Spidey wrote:We have a crappy tin one that came with the house when we bought it. Old tyle and basically worthless. Water leaks in the bottom as its directly on the cement.

In a week my one Im getting built will be done. The local college builds sheds for the carpentry program for projects. A full size shed with 7 foot walls, a window, siding, trim, soffit and facia to water ever colour you like and shingles, whatever colour you want. On a nice pressure treated raised pad, door and half entry and they make it whatever dimenssion you want. Just have to pay for the cost of materials.

Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76726 posts
1574 upvotes
purdy99 wrote:Damn, that's some good advice! Wish I would have thought of it. :)

They just called and its done. Looks really good
TOTAL WINNINGS TO DATE = $99,719.87
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
22 upvotes
Spidey wrote:We have a crappy tin one that came with the house when we bought it. Old tyle and basically worthless. Water leaks in the bottom as its directly on the cement.

That's a REALLY good idea...thanks fellow RFD'er =)
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
× < >