Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8555 posts
583 upvotes
GTA

Gardeners around? How to protect tree with missing bark

I have some trees on my property ( I don't know the type off hand) but they have bark missing on them near the bottom (looks like an animal ate them). I wanted to know if there was something I could put on them to protect the trees so they don't die? I was thinking of maybe that black tar stuff (well, it looks like tar to me anyway). Any ideas? I will try to take a picture of it over the next day or two.
Share:
11 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8555 posts
583 upvotes
GTA
haha.. Interesting suggestion.

I know for next year I need some plastic protection or even burlap around it.. What can I do to ensure the tree lives though?

Any other ideas?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
From what I've been told, there's not really anything you can do to save it. If the bark is completely gone all the way around, the tree will not survive for long. It is still using the food stored in the roots and may live a couple of years, but the tree cannot replenish the food in the roots without the bark.

We have the same problem with a few trees planted last spring...a rabbit that lives underneath the next-door-neighbour's porch ate the bark - even the one that had a plastic guard was damaged. :mad: That was an expensive lesson to learn the hard way. :(
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4417 posts
65 upvotes
London
Saran wrap baby...keeps food fresh, why not trees? :cheesygri

(I'm joking...please don't seriously go try that)
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2003
1384 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Might wanna try wire mesh around the base to prevent further "erosion" of the bark.. but otherwise there's not much you can do about the bark that is already missing. I've seen trees keep going as long as they have some bark connecting the upper and lower parts of the trunk. From what I remember in biology trees use the bark to transfer nutrients and water between the leaves and the roots. There is a tree at a nearby park whose bark was partially gnawed away by beavers. They didn't complete their job and half the bark remained but the tree managed to survive. Hope that helps, having to cut down and replace dead trees is a PITA!!
Nov 25, 2004
405 posts
39 upvotes
Sounds like some rabbits ate the bark during the winter. To protect & prevent further damage from rabbits you can wrap the area with a couple of layers of burlap.

gaf
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4417 posts
65 upvotes
London
hot_potato wrote:From what I remember in biology trees use the bark to transfer nutrients and water between the leaves and the roots. There is a tree at a nearby park whose bark was partially gnawed away by beavers. They didn't complete their job and half the bark remained but the tree managed to survive. Hope that helps, having to cut down and replace dead trees is a PITA!!
Actually the xylem and the phloem are what transfers water and food (respectively) between the roots, with water going up and food going down. The bark is more of a protective layer that protects the woody part of the tree, and does not play that active a role in nutrient transport.

Here's some info =)
Mar 21, 2004
922 posts
5 upvotes
Waterloo
felixdd wrote:Actually the xylem and the phloem are what transfers water and food (respectively) between the roots, with water going up and food going down. The bark is more of a protective layer that protects the woody part of the tree, and does not play that active a role in nutrient transport.
You are correct in stating that it is the pithy (got to love that word) layer beneath the bark that transports nutrients and water. Unfortunately, this is exactly the layer that rabbits, mice, beavers, etc. are after. The bark is just something that gets in their way.

As other posters have said, once a tree is girdled it will eventually die. In the case of small trees, this usually happens in the spring when growth restarts.
Feb 20, 2003
407 posts
23 upvotes
Gatineau
Those are field mice that do this in the winter. If you really think the tree is doom to a low death because there is no more transfer of from roots.... put some more soil around the part that has been eaten till you reach the bark once again....always keep it most ( saran wrap ) or a pot...and new roots will grow.

This is a technique commonly used in bonsai.... it's call air layering.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2003
1384 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
felixdd wrote:Actually the xylem and the phloem are what transfers water and food (respectively) between the roots, with water going up and food going down. The bark is more of a protective layer that protects the woody part of the tree, and does not play that active a role in nutrient transport.

Here's some info =)
I stand corrected! It's been awhile since I last sat in bio class.. :cheesygri
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34253 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
without trees we'd be dead =(
so be nice to them :D
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8025 posts
248 upvotes
Didn't read other replies, but maybe wrap chicken wire aroudn the base of it? Or wrap a cotton type bag around it, and than chicken wire, so the animal can't eat it.
× < >