Computers & Electronics

Garmin 3580LMT, 3590 LMT, or 3590 LMT refurb?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2013 12:35 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1856 posts
304 upvotes
Ottawa

Garmin 3580LMT, 3590 LMT, or 3590 LMT refurb?

I am thinking of getting a new GPS and am pretty sure I am looking at the 3580LMT or 3590LMT. The 3580LMT is a Costco exclusive and is $309.99 on their website but is $299.99 in the store. The 3590LMT is $349.99 at GPScity.ca. The only difference between the two is "The difference is the traffic cable. The nuvi 3580LMT is a Costco exclusive product that comes with a low end traffic cable compared to the HD GTM-60 that is included with the nuvi 3590" which is worth $69.99 so doing the math it is cheaper in the long run to buy the 3590 now. Does anyone know if/when this feature will be available in Canada (I am in Ottawa)? One other note I can get a refurb for $279 including shipping.

I am pretty sure this is the GPS to get as it has all the features and a 5" screen. If not can anyone recommend another GPS ?
Does anyone know of a better deal than the below mentioned prices?

3580LMT $309,99 online or $299.99 in store
http://www.costco.ca/Garmin%C2%AE-n%C3% ... 94785.html

3590LMT $349.99 at GPScity.ca
http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-nuvi-3590lmt.html

or I can get a refurb 3590LMT

Ebay $279.95 free shipping
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Garmin-Nuvi-3590 ... 2ec4cdc853
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
20688 posts
1294 upvotes
Aurora
The traffic should work with either adapter. But it is not very good in Canada. The only use I have for traffic is the ding I get when I am approaching a red light camera in Toronto. I don't think they even have red light cameras in Ottawa. Otherwise it is totally useless, it warns me about the traffic when I hit it.

I think these are over priced for what you get. Yes they are the top of the line Garmin and they look like iPhones, but you could buy two 50 LM for the price of one of these.

If you don't need a 5", I have a brand new Nuvi 40 LM for sale.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10986 posts
1342 upvotes
Lumber-jack wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 11:47 pm
..... compared to the HD GTM-60 that is included with the nuvi 3590" which is worth $69.99 so doing the math it is cheaper in the long run to buy the 3590 now. Does anyone know if/when this feature will be available in Canada (I am in Ottawa)?...
No HD traffic coverage in Canada:

http://www.navteq.com/hdtraffic/index_460.htm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1856 posts
304 upvotes
Ottawa
Ottawa does have red light cameras (we have for years now).

I know they are pricey but I really like the voice command and the fact that it will sync up to my Galaxy Nexus. I did some You Tube watching and like all the features it has. I find that even though my nuvi 780 is sitting right in front of me I don't always enter the address information and just wing it as I find it inconvenient that I now have to be stopped to enter the information because of the new handheld electronic device law in ON. If I had the voice command I can do everything on the fly and change things as I am driving too.

I looked up quickly your 40LM and it doesn't have voice command which is a deal breaker for me - thanks though. I would prefer to spend a few extra dollars and get a GPS that I can use legally while I am driving and not have to stop every time I need to make an adjustment.

Although the traffic isn't supported in Canada yet I am willing to pay $50 extra for it to remind me every time I am coming up to a red light camera intersection. That being said I am leaning towards the 3580LMT either new or the refurb now...
Gee wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 11:52 pm
The traffic should work with either adapter. But it is not very good in Canada. The only use I have for traffic is the ding I get when I am approaching a red light camera in Toronto. I don't think they even have red light cameras in Ottawa. Otherwise it is totally useless, it warns me about the traffic when I hit it.

I think these are over priced for what you get. Yes they are the top of the line Garmin and they look like iPhones, but you could buy two 50 LM for the price of one of these.

If you don't need a 5", I have a brand new Nuvi 40 LM for sale.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
20688 posts
1294 upvotes
Aurora
The voice command is not very accurate. It gets better if the destination is one of your favourites. Otherwise, it is hit and miss.

The ding for the red light cameras are definitely worth the $50
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1856 posts
304 upvotes
Ottawa
You say the voice command is not very accurate. I was watching some You Tube videos (more than one) and it appeared the people were changing things in the menu very easily (and accurately); they were even changing destinations too. Are you saying the voice command is useless? I understand that it might not been 100% as my Mazda's voice command for Bluetooth doesn't always get it right but it works pretty good and I am happy that I can actually use my phone while driving. IYO what is the % that the voice command gets it right (or wrong)? Basically I am really hoping that the voice command actually allows me to use the GPS and it's features without having to constantly stop to make adjustments or not use it at all because it isn't practical to stop.
Gee wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 12:26 am
The voice command is not very accurate. It gets better if the destination is one of your favourites. Otherwise, it is hit and miss.

The ding for the red light cameras are definitely worth the $50
× < >