• Feb 26th, 2009 8:33 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2137 posts
159 upvotes

Garmin GPS sucks

What is it with Garmin? I've noticed Garmins will always take you along the most obscure, local road possible. I've used Tom Tom's and Magellan's. Both brand have software which seems designed to take the user to a major highway first and then lead you along. On the way back from Boston, my Garmin GPS expected me to travel 90 miles in pitch black back roads until I hit the I90W in New York State through Vermont and down Massachusetts. The other day, I went downtown in to Toronto, and it passed me right over the Gardiner Expressway into heavy traffic until I hit the 401. Seems like a big waste of money. Never again Garmin, never again.
64 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
2044 posts
30 upvotes
Medicine Hat
I had a tomtom that did the same thing. they all make mistakes, please forgive them.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1612 posts
318 upvotes
Montreal
no gps will ever be perfect. how do you expect a gps to give you the perfect road everywhere.

there is always shortcut that no gps would know.

some gps has some setting that you can choose to avoid highway, or use only highway etc...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3733 posts
31 upvotes
Tom Tom, Garmin, what is the difference. I bought my father a Tom Tom and my Girlfriend a Garmin and have yet to see the difference in directions they give. They are both the same. You hear people complain about all makes of the GPS because of directions they give but they are essentially the same (other than the various features on different models). The Tom Tom and Garmin both sent me on a funny route to get on the 401 East Bound. The funny part about it was they both gave me the same exact crappy route. Same with my GPS in my car which is a Magellian (sp?). I am not sure but would guess they use the same satellites which makes for no difference in the directions you will get.

I have a magellian(sp?) and it uses the same interface as the Tom Tom except the voice is set to an American Male out of the box while the Tom Tom voice was set to an American Female out of the box. Which is not even a problem because they are changeable. Even the Icons are the same.

They are fairly new, they will have bugs. Give them time.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
5858 posts
490 upvotes
T dot 6
I have a Garmin and TomTom and they are the same. There is an infinite combination of point A to point B for a GPS to calculate and I think at this point its just too difficult for it to always calculate the best route.
stubhub sucks, like really sucks
Nov 15, 2005
897 posts
48 upvotes
GTA
On a recent trip to Buffalo my Garmin did the most frustrating thing to me possible!

Arriving in Buffalo was a breeze, but when it was time to leave, it was a nightmare. First of all I should of brought along with me a paper map. Garmin wanted me to drive south around the state and exit towards Kingston across the lake, the whole trip would of taken me only about 12 hours when the trip back should only be about 1 1/2 hours.

For about 45 minutes I blindly follow the directions, until I realize this can't be right. Finally I asked for some directions and retraced my steps back to the peace bridge.

Stupid Garmin, even while retracing my steps back the voice kept insisting to make a U-turn, not until we came upon the bridge the instructions were correct.

My Garmin is in the bottom of the lake on the American side...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7758 posts
151 upvotes
firechkn wrote:
Feb 17th, 2009 3:26 pm
On a recent trip to Buffalo my Garmin did the most frustrating thing to me possible!

Arriving in Buffalo was a breeze, but when it was time to leave, it was a nightmare. First of all I should of brought along with me a paper map. Garmin wanted me to drive south around the state and exit towards Kingston across the lake, the whole trip would of taken me only about 12 hours when the trip back should only be about 1 1/2 hours.

For about 45 minutes I blindly follow the directions, until I realize this can't be right. Finally I asked for some directions and retraced my steps back to the peace bridge.

Stupid Garmin, even while retracing my steps back the voice kept insisting to make a U-turn, not until we came upon the bridge the instructions were correct.

i love when my tomtom does that when its a left and another left its says make a u turn
Sep 19, 2005
228 posts
4 upvotes
When in the USA, you need to disable avoiding toll roads.
firechkn wrote:

Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
151 upvotes
Murica
no GPS is perfect. The assumption is that the user will be safer using major roads rather than the backroads. If you were down in the states, would you use a backroad? it's scary.

As long as it's a major road, you're fine.
As for the ulitmate GPS, Chloe O'brien from "24" on her satelite feed would be da best.
Comes with live traffic and multi-level traffic where the perp's are.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
1193 posts
71 upvotes
Edirol wrote:
Feb 17th, 2009 4:25 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: That's probably was the problem.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1698 posts
54 upvotes
Windsor
Edirol wrote:
Feb 17th, 2009 4:25 pm
Sounds like the OP forgot to do this and so did firechkn.. We went to Montana last summer, and I had set it to avoid toll roads.. went to tell it to go from Windsor to Detroit, and it wanted me to drive for the 12 hours or whatever to Niagara and back to get there, to avoid the $4 toll. Quick check in the menu and got that back to normal.
Aug 8, 2003
762 posts
39 upvotes
Barrie
firechkn wrote:

I was just about to post this exact problem, and now we know about the Toll Road thing :D This is why RFD is the best.
Dec 10, 2008
42 posts
I got a Garmin a few months ago for Boxing Day and I do find it useful... but it does some awkward things.

One thing it does is it lists all the convenience stores when I'm looking for a gas station. I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1698 posts
54 upvotes
Windsor
Also, depending on where you are, you might want the avoid u-turns on or off.. in the city it might be easier with it off and drive a few extra blocks rather than fighting traffic to make a uturn.. out in the country a uturn is far easier than driving miles to get to the next possible route.
× < >