None
Banned
Sep 3, 2014
52 posts
13 upvotes
GTA

Garmin Nuvi 265W help

Good afternoon.

I accidentally deleted the pre-installed maps on my garmin, and have been trying to find another online with no luck. This GPS is the type with no "life time maps" when purchased. I am also unable to get the device to recognize an SD card with a downloaded map on it.

In the GPS, when I go to settings - maps- more info is greyed out.

Help please anyone?

Make: Garmin Nuvi 265W 4.3"

Purchased : 2008
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1963 posts
831 upvotes
White Rock
If you put the unlocked map in your SD card, it must be named "gmapsupp.img" and inside the folder "Garmin", such as X:\Garmin\gmapsupp.img. If your SD card doesn't have a Garmin folder, create it.
Banned
Sep 3, 2014
52 posts
13 upvotes
GTA
Does it make a difference if I have any other stuff on the said SD card?
Nov 5, 2013
624 posts
122 upvotes
It doesnt matter that there are other stuff in the sd card, as the gps only reads the garmin folder for your installed garmin maps. I have songs in my sd card in my garmin 350 and it doesnt cause any problems.

Did u wipe your gps memory cleaned, or just deleted the pre-installed map only, i.e., u havent deleted the system files. If the later, u may be able to insert back the garmin map which may be available in the internet if u search hard enough, as I saw it before but I cant put a finger on it now which site has it. Or, u can make a copy from your friend's garmin map and system files.

Another alternative is to buy a new garmin gps with life time map update, which can be had for around $100 on sale, e.g., Garmin 50LM which has a big screen, better display resolution and bigger SD memory (8 or 16 gb). This map update feature of the new gps can also update the map of your old gps, as that happened to my old garmin 350 that doesnt have the map update feature.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1567 posts
192 upvotes
Oakville
Garmin maps for that generation are widely available on torrents. ;)

Obviously I cannot point you to the exact location, but i can assure you that update is totally possible - recently I was able to update my friend's garmin of same (or very similar - cannot recall exactly) model to latest maps without any issues.
Whole process is very well documented over the internets.

If you do not feel yourself comfortable performing such process - then there are tons of ads on kijiji related to gps map updates, and i believe it is\was around $20 per device\map.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
518 upvotes
elixir wrote: Good afternoon.

I accidentally deleted the pre-installed maps on my garmin, and have been trying to find another online with no luck. This GPS is the type with no "life time maps" when purchased. I am also unable to get the device to recognize an SD card with a downloaded map on it.

In the GPS, when I go to settings - maps- more info is greyed out.

Help please anyone?

Make: Garmin Nuvi 265W 4.3"

Purchased : 2008
Good map-restore tutorials are in gpsunderground.com

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)