Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1478 posts
442 upvotes

Gas across the border with jerry cans

Recently, everytime I head down to bellingham, I've been noticing that there are more and more cars lining up to purchase gas. However, the recent trend has been people filling up multiple jerry cans full of gas. The last time, I saw some guy fill about 4 or 5 of them, and they were pretty big cans, probably 40-50L each.

Anyways, I was wondering what your experiences with doing this is. I head down there quite a bit, and if there's money to be saved, I'm in!
Las Vegas Hotel & Shows 30%-70% Off - MyCheapVegas.com

Or need help planning your Las Vegas trip, send me a pm.
50 replies
Sep 23, 2010
246 posts
32 upvotes
This is just my gut-feel, no real knowledge behind it, but I believe things like gasoline are illegal to transport in external canisters across bridges and tunnels. You can probably look up the answer on CBP though.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1640 posts
258 upvotes
My understanding is that it's allowed if transported in approved containers (like the jerry cans).
Most important thing is that you declare them at the border upon your return.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2232 posts
910 upvotes
QuestForKnowledge wrote:
Apr 30th, 2012 6:13 pm
This is just my gut-feel, no real knowledge behind it, but I believe things like gasoline are illegal to transport in external canisters across bridges and tunnels. You can probably look up the answer on CBP though.

No issues as long as they are in appoved containers.
doberman_baby wrote:
Apr 30th, 2012 7:08 pm
My understanding is that it's allowed if transported in approved containers (like the jerry cans).
Most important thing is that you declare them at the border upon your return.

And normally they won't care. Unless you have lots of cans. I once saw a guy filling up cans in Detroit.... he had the whole bed of his truck full of cans - probably 15 in total. Almost as if he was filling up for the whole neighbourhood!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4233 posts
1503 upvotes
I'm all for supporting the local economy and usually it would take a price gap of upwards of 40-50% before I start buying stuff from the States, but gas is one thing I absolutely try to boycott (especially in the Lower Mainland in BC). Prices are criminal and they are only bound to go up in the summer.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17372 posts
2168 upvotes
Langley
Perfectly legal. You don't need to declare the gas in your tank but you do need to declare it if it's in Jerry Cans. Price today at Burlington costco was $3.87/gallon. Price in Langley, $1.40/l. CAD is $0.99/USD, plus a 1c spread for MC and a 2.5% conversion fee from the bank, and it costs 1.025c/USD.

3.87c/gal * 1.025cad/usd / 3.785 l/gal = 1.05c/l, saving 35c/l. Gas cans (which are rarely proper Jerry Cans) are usually 20l (or more), so each one is saving it's owner $7.

I saw a guy at Costco today that had 5 in the back of his van, so he's saving $35 plus whatever he saves by filling his tank, plus whatever he saves by shopping at a US Costco.

My mom, wife, sister, and I spent $825 in the US today, plus a full tank of gas.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1478 posts
442 upvotes
i6s1 wrote:
May 1st, 2012 1:33 am
Perfectly legal. You don't need to declare the gas in your tank but you do need to declare it if it's in Jerry Cans. Price today at Burlington costco was $3.87/gallon. Price in Langley, $1.40/l. CAD is $0.99/USD, plus a 1c spread for MC and a 2.5% conversion fee from the bank, and it costs 1.025c/USD.

3.87c/gal * 1.025cad/usd / 3.785 l/gal = 1.05c/l, saving 35c/l. Gas cans (which are rarely proper Jerry Cans) are usually 20l (or more), so each one is saving it's owner $7.

I saw a guy at Costco today that had 5 in the back of his van, so he's saving $35 plus whatever he saves by filling his tank, plus whatever he saves by shopping at a US Costco.

My mom, wife, sister, and I spent $825 in the US today, plus a full tank of gas.

Ya, i'll try with 2 jerry cans next time and work my way up =). I wonder if costco sells jerry cans...

Did you get taxed at $825??
Las Vegas Hotel & Shows 30%-70% Off - MyCheapVegas.com

Or need help planning your Las Vegas trip, send me a pm.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1142 posts
69 upvotes
Beamsville
The only thing I've been told officially is to declare the dollar amount of gas your bringing back in cans with your purchases. Several times I have been asked if I was carrying and jerry cans and if the amount I declared included the cost of the gas in the jerry cans.

Unofficially, from the guy one pump over filling up his cans a few weeks ago..
1 can is fine
2 cans is iffy
3 cans is too much

In all honesty ask next time you cross. We cross with two 20L cans every weekend and haven't had any issues yet.

Also be aware of local by-laws, In Niagara falls it's a local by law that you can't carry more than one jerry can of gas in your vehicle. Of course that hasn't stopped anyone from filling up and carrying multiple jerry cans lol.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4816 posts
412 upvotes
Victoria
This is why the carbon tax pisses me off so much. No one in Vancouver pays it because you all buy gas in the US every damn weekend but everywhere else in BC we get screwed.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17372 posts
2168 upvotes
Langley
bobu wrote:
May 1st, 2012 4:31 am
Ya, i'll try with 2 jerry cans next time and work my way up =). I wonder if costco sells jerry cans...

Did you get taxed at $825??

Nope. I've brought $400+ across by myself and haven't been charged.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
8745 posts
1947 upvotes
Going to revive this.

Vancouver petrol: 101.9/L. Bellingham petrol: 1.79/GAL (average price) which is roughly 48.5/L USD. Convert at 1.26 rate (which is on the high end), 61.1/L CAD. Savings of 40c per Litre. Get 4 20L gas canisters + a average 50L tank, you save over 50$ CAD. Not bad at all. And the govn't can keep their 47c/L in taxes which never received from me in the first place.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4233 posts
1503 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jan 24th, 2015 1:37 pm
Going to revive this.

Vancouver petrol: 101.9/L. Bellingham petrol: 1.79/GAL (average price) which is roughly 48.5/L USD. Convert at 1.26 rate (which is on the high end), 61.1/L CAD. Savings of 40c per Litre. Get 4 20L gas canisters + a average 50L tank, you save over 50$ CAD. Not bad at all. And the govn't can keep their 47c/L in taxes which never received from me in the first place.
about 40 cents per litre has always been the norm for price gap between Vancouver and Bellingham. Keep in mind you have to declare any gas in jerry cans as part of your total value of goods when coming back to Canada, and if you store gas in jerry cans in your home you may be violating tenancy agreement or home insurance policies.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
8745 posts
1947 upvotes
It actually used to be ~30c in difference, and that was with the CAD at close to par >0.95. Now it's close to 40c with canadian at 1.25 buying rate (not even official rate). So the difference increased significantly.

And at the border I always include in my declaration that I bought petrol. I just don't necessarily distinguish that part of the petrol is in jerry cans. If he specifically asks if any are in the jerry cans, then ofc I won't lie and tell him.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4347 posts
1370 upvotes
Isn't it a bit risky to carry excess fuel in your car like this? Sure, you might save a few bucks but isn't it a little bit scary (e.g. what if you get in some kind of accident).
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16498 posts
2162 upvotes
bobu wrote:
Apr 30th, 2012 4:57 pm
Anyways, I was wondering what your experiences with doing this is. I head down there quite a bit, and if there's money to be saved, I'm in!
I don't think there is a limit, but you gotta declare the purchase! People have been stopped in the past by anal border agents for their tank of gas (and less!).
choclover wrote:
Jan 24th, 2015 11:22 pm
Isn't it a bit risky to carry excess fuel in your car like this? Sure, you might save a few bucks but isn't it a little bit scary (e.g. what if you get in some kind of accident).
No, that's why you have to transport in jerry cans.